Personal Computer Security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Computer Security

If you're using a computer running a version of Windows then you should read this article from Microsoft and then disable SMB1 on your computer.
    SMB or Server Message Block is an old protocol first used in the 1980s that should no longer be used in todays' world full of hackers and unsecure severs.

Read for yourself and decide. I just turned it off on my Windows 8.1 computer and will disable my other two Windows 7 Pro machines tomorrow
    and the wifes' laptop too. MS has known about this but for some reason has not included turning SMB1 off in any of it's updates so far.

If by chance you are still using XP MS released an update for this no longer supported OS only because of the large number of people still using
    it and not creating a security update for it would help the Wannacry ransomware spread so to help protect everyone they included XP in the security update.
    No doubt you have all seen mention of this on TV or the radio but I thought I would mention it anyway.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...op-using-smb1/

To turn SMB off on your Windows machine, go to

Control Panel -->> Programs and Features -->> Then in the left column click on "Turn Windows features on or off".
    A dialog box similar to below should pop up, scroll down until you see the highlighted line for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and uncheck the box if it's checked. If you find it unchecked that's good, leave it alone. Close the dialog box by clicking on the OK button and work your way our to your desktop. Your computer may pause for a few seconds as it removes the SMB1 protocol from your system. You should then be prompted to restart your computer, but if you're not just as any time you make a configuration change or install or remove software, reboot to flush DLL and other files from memory and start over again.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn SMB1 Off.png Views:	1 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	718118

Last edited by Bob D.; 05-18-2017, 03:57 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

now i know what a computer person feels like coming to our forum for plumbing help. don't know what it does, but i unchecked it like you suggested. if you never see me again here, you got me. if you do see me, i fixed it.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Well I may have uncovered a problem that will put a wrinkle in not having SMB 1.0 enabled. I noticed this morning that I can no longer reach a shared drive on my home network. Looks like the drive, which is about 6 years old, may be using SMB 1.0. I will have to research the documentation and the CISCO website to find out. In the mean time I will re-enable it and see of the connection comes back.

----

Comment

I've been reading up on this. What I'm not clear about is if you apply the Microsoft security patch, do you also have to disable SMBv1, or is the patch alone sufficient?

Comment

Not sure what patch from MS you are talking about, there are so many. It's easy to check if SMB 1.0/CIFS is disabled, just follow the above and if the box in NOT checked, then you're good to go.

However, what I found out when I did this is I lost the connection to my old network storage drive. That drive is connected to one of my router USB ports. SO I am looking to see if a firmware update is available for my router that will replace SMB 1.0 with SMB 3.0 and if not then I will be getting a new router.

If you have a NAS device you may run into the same issue. So if you disable SMB 1.0 and find you can no longer access your drive then you may need to turn it back on until you get a replacement or update the firmware.

----

Comment

Working...
          X