This Site... WTF Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Site... WTF Slow

I can open up a post, or a new post. It sits and sits and sits....then finally responds. I post the new entry and "WAITING" from the javascript of the site. For at least 3-5 minutes before the post takes.

In that time I've visited 2 other forums, made maybe 4-7 posts, plus wikipedia, and possibly someplace else (likely Google shopping or Amazon).

The only good thing about this software is I recommend the site to others when they complain about some other forum software. "If you want to see some bland, very slow and shatty software - go see the Ridgid site!"

Seriously, when is this site going to become PROFESSIONAL in server and content?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Yes I experience the same from time to time and have only seen it since the current version of the forum software. Since I don't see it on any other site and with any other net transaction I have concluded that it is something specific to the Ridgid forum - either a server that has some sort of issue with hanging up or a network issue. I sometimes also take a copy of a post in order to be able to repost if the site hangs up without making the post - which I have seen on occasion.

Will something be done about - highly doubt it.

Comment

I do the same. Sometimes all your hard work is lost trying to post. So I will copy the entire post before I post.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

+1 to all of the above!
        Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

We should all make sure we contact the webmaster located on the bottom right of the page to express our sentiments. Who knows, we might even be impressed.
          Last edited by Mightyservant; 11-21-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, at least I know it's not me!

Rick, I do copy the content before hitting the post reply button. I do it everywhere, even in purchase boxes where I put special comments.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

"Seriously, when is this site going to become PROFESSIONAL in server and content?"

I agree the servers are slow, but I would not blame the forum software (vBulletin). I have no idea where the site is hosted, could be AWS (Amazon Web Services) or somewhere else, but given the time of year I would bet that with all the online shopping which has started to ramp up over the past few days that many servers will be stressed for the next couple weeks. That said this site have ALWAYS been slow, at least for the past year or two. Doesn't matter where I log in from or what OS/browser or connection I am using.

The vBulletin software is used on many forums I frequent without problem and some of them have more than 10x the members and guests online at any given time than we do here. If you go to the Member List, then click on Last Visit to sort the list of members by the last time there were on the site, you'll find in most cases that there are only about 2 dozen who visit every day or every other day. As I write this I see that fewer than 50 people have visited in the past 2 days (Thursday & Friday), and those were for most of us holidays when many probably had a little more time to get online if they chose to.

As far as the 'content', well the content comes from us, the members, so if you want better content then you'll need to bring it, not beg for it.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I figured everyone and there cousin was online searching for deals so they could melt down their credit cards over the holiday

Comment

It is slow for me too on many many days, and every month since I joined. This week, the pages would load for over 20 minutes until I got fed up and shut it down till the next day. Some days it takes 3-4 minutes to load a page.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                    PLUMBER RICK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow. And I thought 30 seconds was slow. I'm on a 100 mbs fiber connection. But using my cell phone wireless connection.

Rick.

This took 2 seconds to post.

• Pro Service
                    Pro Service commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Every other site takes seconds, it"s only here that it lags regularly.

• Bob D.
                    Bob D. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wish we had fiber here. I wish we had ANYTHING to compete with Comcast, but we don't. There are the satellite options but they are no better or worse than Comcast. Verizon will not bring fiber to the area, local government and the people have tried. And no one else will either (I have personally asked as much from Google, Ting and others). There is just not enough population to justify the expense of installing the hardware and cabling necessary for the few people here. Our township is just over 30 square miles with a population of slightly more than 4571 during the last census and down to ~4450 estimated for 2016. That's ~153 persons/Sq. Mile if you're wondering. A declining population doesn't help convince companies to invest either. There are probably more deer or wild turkeys than people here and as far as I know none of them use the internet. :-)

In a neighboring township, we a population less than ours but no cable service to this day Verizon did install fiber. Because they would get the TV subscriptions and the internet service and have no competition as Comcast refuses to build out into that area. My in-laws live 5.5 miles away and don't have TV cable or fiber. They have POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) and that's it. For TV they use a antenna like everyone did in the 50s and a dish for DirectTV. Cellular coverage is pretty good though, better than at my house for T-Mobile or Sprint. I get 4G LTE on Sprint at the in-laws, but not at home. Coverage and signal strength for Verizon and AT&T are about the same at both locations.

2 seconds, I dream of that. Most times a page load is 15 to 30 seconds, sometimes as long as a minute. And I have checked my connection and done speed tests when I am seeing these long delays on the forum and my download speed is right where it should be, about 60 Mbps.

I do have one thought on why the forum runs slowly. It may or may not be correct, don't know from looking at it from the outside, but someone in IT at RIDGID could certainly find out.

There are on many days, a number of 'guests' viewing the forum, usually 10x or more than the number of registered users. Nothing wrong with unregistered individuals viewing the forum, that's not where I am going with this. But out of those couple hundred guests there have been as many as 70 'guests' logged in at the same time viewing different topic areas and posts within those areas. Those 50 or 70 'guests' all come back to one domain, SEMrush, which when I researched it looks to be a web crawler similar to Google or Bing, and it's indexing all the posts (AND user profile information) on the forum so that when someone searches for information on say a K-50 the search engine knows where to tell them to find it and puts up the URL in the search results.

Now I do it and I am sure some of you do too, that is have more than one browser window open to the forum some times when you are searching for something or writing a post, whatever. But to have 50 or 70 connections open at once all searching and requesting data from the forum server probably puts a load on it and slows other outbound traffic, that is traffic being sent to you and me AND it probably also impacts uploads from us (posts and image uploads). It all depends on how much bandwidth and CPU time RIDGID is paying for with whoever is hosting the forum. They could dial it back to a trickle and save money (maybe), or open it up full throttle and let 'er rip.

But you can see what I am getting at I hope. Here I mentioned just one web crawler, but there is more than one connected at most times of the day. Notice in the screen shot below there are 8 members online and the rest of the 700 users online are 'guests'. At this particular time 27 of the first 100 users online are SEMrush, how many of the remainder of the 700 are SEMrush I don't know. And I found a handful of others that all point back to another web crawler in the UK.

I wonder how fast the forum would be if the web crawlers were limited to 10 simultaneous connections. I wonder why sections of the forum that contain user profile data are not blocked from searches, web crawlers and other data mining especially. You might have what you think is harmless information there, but combined with other data gleaned from other sites a complete picture can be built around you, and it's not that hard to do. Plus you may have bits and pieces of information that could be clues to discovering your passwords used on other sites like your dogs name or favorite car or where you went to high school. The kind of information used in password reset challenge questions on many sites.

I managed a couple websites many years ago when the WWW was young and had most of the folders blocked off from robots and web crawlers indexing them for just those reasons that I mention above. And the members only area was restricted to only those who were registered. Access was controlled by their User ID, pass, and the IP address of the computer they were logging in with. Didn't have mobile devices to worry about back then.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 11-26-2018, 08:35 AM.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                    Mightyservant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done sir.....that was informative. Thank you !
                Working...
                X