X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Computer Question

For one reason or another I can't seem to get Adobe to work on my computer. I've tried to make it work using both IE and Firefox but all I ever get is an error message. Sometimes it even causes my computer to shut down. Needless to say, I'm SOL when it comes to anything that has a pdf(?) format such as manuals, etc.

Although I can find my way around the Internet fairly easily, I'm by no means computer literate. If anyone might have an explanation in plain simple easy to understand normal speak I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

1. What OS version (WIn9x, WinXP, OS-X, etc) are you running.

2. How old is you computer and have you done any updates to the OS, various drivers such as for video, etc. ?

3. What version of Adobe Reader did you install, the latest may not be compatable with your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
      1. What OS version (WIn9x, WinXP, OS-X, etc) are you running.

2. How old is you computer and have you done any updates to the OS, various drivers such as for video, etc. ?

3. What version of Adobe Reader did you install, the latest may not be compatable with your machine.
      1. Windows XP

2. IIRC I bougtt this computer in Jul. 02. The only updates I've installed are the ones from Microsoft, Firefox, Norton, Lavasoft and Adobe. Come to think of it, I think my problems with Adobe started after I downloaded one of their updates but I could be mistaken about that.

3. Adobe 7.0

Comment

Dave,

You might want to go to "Start", "Control Panel", and then "Add or Remove Programs" and remove the Adobe Reader altogether. Reboot the computer and then download the latest version and install it again.

Sometimes these updates have a tendency to foul the system as they don't do an adequate job of updating the system registry.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps there's a compatibility problem with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat. In which case you need to repeat the process and reload the last working version you had. The problem there may be that you no longer have that version.

I have a tendency NOT to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. I've been stung too many times with software that isn't debugged, drivers that are worse than older versions, etc. Bottom line, (expecially with computers) if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'm still using Adobe 4.0 and so far, it has read everything that I've downloaded.

Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

CWS

[ 12-06-2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Thanks Charlie. I've already done what you suggested as far as blowing away the 7.0 and redownloading it. As a matter of fact, I've done that several times without success. I'll blow it away again and download an earlier version and hopefuly that will solve my problem. I'll let you know if that works.

Comment

Charlie, great advice, it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Comment

BadgerDave,

Great news on your PDF once again being readable. I'm glad it worked out.

Don't you just love this computer stuff? I heard it once said:

"That if the automobile had followed the evolutionary cycle of the computer, we'd be able to buy a Mercedes for about $20, it would get 300 miles to the gallon, and once a year it would blow up and kill all the passengers!!"

Merry Christmas,

CWS

Comment

Working...
              X