Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most routers out there follow the same protocol.
    When you are connected to the router open an IE window and go to address 192.168.1.1 if it asks for a password they are usually set to userid: admin and password: admin (just type admin in the listed fields)
    Then poke around until you see a screen like this

Comment

Chris and Wayne,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I changed channels and both phones (the 900mhz and 2.4) still cut out my connection when i pick up the phone.

I just checked the DSL filters, and they say for 2 line phones. I don't have any 2 line phones, do you guys think that may cause a problem?

and i disconnected all of the cordless phones and hooked up a regular phone and it too cuts the connection when the phone picks up.
      Last edited by CheekyMonkeyWrench; 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench
        Chris and Wayne,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I changed channels and both phones (the 900mhz and 2.4) still cut out my connection when i pick up the phone.

I just checked the DSL filters, and they say for 2 line phones. I don't have any 2 line phones, do you guys think that may cause a problem?

and i disconnected all of the cordless phones and hooked up a regular phone and it too cuts the connection when the phone picks up.
        Well that helps, looks like you eliminated the wireless phone as the cause (makes sense because you said even the 900 MHz cut out the wireless connection, which means it wasnt a frequency range issue).

How many phones are connected in your house? I would try disconnecting every phone but one (it can be a wired or cordless phone at this point), and only leave the filter for that phone on the line (unplug all other filters). Then see if the problem still exists. If it doesnt, then plug in additional phones/filters one at a time, testing the wireless connection each time until you find the phone/filter thats affecting the connection. If the problem *still* exists, it could have something to do with the filters, but Im not sure (only had one experience with DSL at my parents house, and oddly enough it was the phone companies fault ).

How is your phone wiring arranged? Incoming line goes to ? My in-laws have all of their phone jacks daisy-chained to one another........needless to say a setup like that would most likely *never* work with DSL. We ended up re-wiring my parents house the right way (incoming line to patch panel, Cat5E as phone wire from patch panel to each room in house). After rewiring my parents house the strange DSL slowdowns and the horrible signal to noise ratio improved dramatically.

One other thing to try is find the status page for your router, pick up a phone and check on the router to see if *it* dropped the wireless connection. It could be possible that the router is dropping wireless, which could indicate an issue with the router itself. (I dont know if we asked: when you pick up a phone do you lose connection to any PC that is *wired* to the router?)

Have you contacted Verizon? They should be able to do a line test to see if your signals are weak or dropping for some reason.

-Chris

Comment

Cheeky, Chris has a good point with checking the connection drop issue with a wired PC. Take one more piece of the puzzle out of the loop if possible.

It is not uncommon at all to have a house wired in series, especially in older homes. Having each jack wired as an end run is preferred though, and better for higher voltage cases such as DSL. But your DSL should still work if wired in series. The fact that the DSL filters are 2-line is not uncommon either. It should not matter for you and will just be working on the one pair for your single line.

If all else fails you might changing to another pair in jacks (for example you may currently be using the blue/white pair and you could change to the orange/white pair) which could be an issue, although less likely.

I didn't research too long, but it appears your box is the DSL modem and router in one unit. You should be able to log into it and go to a logs or status section and see if you are losing your DSL connection when picking up the phone or if the PC is losing the connection. I would suspect the DSL is losing the connection which would point to a wiring issue somewhere.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Chris and Dubs,

Thanks alot for the help, you 2 are way more informed than Verizon's ppl in sub-Asia.

I have 4 phone jacks in the house. 2 have cordless phones, 1 is empty and the last one exclusively has the DSL line connected to my pc (i'm actually losing connection on that one too).

I checked all the filters and replaced them with the extra ones and the problem is still present.

the phone lines derive from a patch panel in my basement, and one goes to the downstairs phone independently, one goes to the master br independently, and there is one other line that goes from the basement to the attic and is spliced to the 2 remaining jacks (they have electric tape over the splice, doesn't look so great).**COULD THIS BE A PROBLEM?

i went to the router/modem gateway site and it says i'm still connected even though the dsl and internet light go off on the modem when i pick up or hang-up the phone.

verizon ran a line test from their remote "Asian" location and said everything seemed fine. Then the guy told me to contact the East Coast analog repair division, or something along those lines. He transferred me and the rep told me as long as I have a ringtone, there job is complete. I told him that the DSL tech support team said i had to contact his dept. and he said I have to go through the DSL division.....no answers.

i really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out, Verizon has me locked up for a year in a contract and I am really getting the short end of the stick with them. unfortunately, high speed cable is not available in my area yet

Comment

Id try disconnecting the basement to attic line from the patch panel completely.

DSL and internet light going off on the modem when you pick up the line sounds like the line is borderline strength and the drop from picking up the phone kills it completely.

Also check to make sure the jacks are wired correctly (red and green and/or black and yellow connected to the correct slots on the patch panel and the correct terminals inside each phone jack).

Absolute worst case: you can access one side of your phone service panel on the outside of the house. Unplug the phone wire that is in there (thats the feed to the inside of your house) and run a known-good phone wire, one end plugged into the service panel port that you just freed up, the other end to a DSL filter. Plug in a phone to the phone side of the filter and the modem to the other. Then see if picking up the phone causes you to drop your DSL connection. If that does drop the connection, the problem is Verizons. If that makes the problem go away, you've narrowed it down to something inside your house. Id be more suspect of that spliced line you speak of, and possibly mis-wired terminals.

-Chris

Comment

Chris,

thanks again

all of the jacks are wired correctly, and i disconnected the dicey line to the attic.

unfortunately, the problem still persists.

i checked the box downstairs, and the red green yellow and black wires are all wired correctly.

i went outside, to the little gray box, and the green and red wires are connected to the only 2 terminals (2 screws), and the yellow and black are not connected to anything.

also, the yellow and black wires aren't connected in the nework interface (the box above the patch box) in the basement. but they are connected on the patch box and also connected in all of the jacks.

you said the issue at your parents house was the phone company's fault. what exactly happened there? somebody mentioned to me there may be a MTU (maintenace test unit) or a half ringer connected somewhere on the line, that the companies used to use for testing lines, but are now obsolete and interfere with DSL.

i'm pretty confident the issue is not inside the house, but it's like pulling teeth getting the phone company here. i really wish cable internet was available in my area.

thanks again!!!

Comment

Your problem is sounding like what happened when I added an alarm system and forgot to put in a filter. I wonder if your filters are the problem? Any chance they might send you new filters? If not tell them your DSL drops from phone A so you switched the filters between phone A and B and now phone B causes the DSL to drop, that should tell the tech that you have a bad filter and force them to replace it. At least then you would have another filter to test. If the DSL drops with a non wireless phone the filter would be my first guess. The phone company can also asses the quality of the DSL line remotely (thats how I found out the alarm was killing my line - Sir are you absolutely sure you don't have a phone plugged in without a filer - Yes I'm positive - You don't have an answering machine or alarm system by chance - D'OH )

Comment

The problem at my parents house was actually two-fold, but the phone company wouldnt admit it until we did some testing ourselves. Basically we did the test I suggested: run a line directly from the gray box outside to the DSL modem. Then plug one machine directly into the back of the modem (to rule out an issue with wifi), then see what kind of performance you get. Directly from the outside, in our case, we were getting half the speed they should have (3mbps instead of 6mbps). When connected to inside wiring, we were getting the same speed but signal to noise ratio went way up. So it turned out there was a phone co. issue to the gray box, and an internal wiring issue inside the house. Once both issues were fixed, the 6mbps was constant and signal to noise ratio was in spec. Oddly enough, the signal to noise ratio issue was causing strange dropouts....not completely unlike what you are experiencing. Im not sure if your router has any status pages, but you might be able to see the SN ratio then do a search (try dslreports.com forums) for what a good value is. BTW, dslreports.com forums are a good source to bounce this issue off of, they have separate forums for each phone co and each region. Plus the phone cos. actually have techs that might help right over the forum.

If you connect directly to the gray box on one end and the modem on the other, you wont need a filter. Thats why its the best test you can do: rule out any inside wiring *and* a bad filter. If you *still* have the problem, its a 99.9999% chance its a phone co. issue.

BTW, the black and yellows not being connected is normal.

Good luck!
                    -Chris

Comment

cheers Chris!!

thanks again

Comment

Chris, WW, and everybody else who helped and may be interested in this.

I perused dslreports.com (thanks for the link Chris) and came across a little thing called and MTU (maintenance test unit, or half-ringer?). It appears it was used in past decades by the phone company to diagnose line problems. And it also appears that they interfere with dsl synching.

so i removed at the advice of somebody there and now......no bloody disconnects!!!!

here's a pic of the MTU inside my network interface

thanks again guys!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thats great! Glad to hear you now have reliable internet access again.

Funny......we all used to use dialup, and random disconnects were common, we just dealt with it. I guess we're just spoiled now!

-Chris

Comment

exactly chris, except some of us road the dial-up bus for way too long

i had dial-up until last month, so give me a taste of speed and stability and i'm spoiled rotten

thanks again, your responses (and others) show the merits of the world wide web, would've never gotten this solved if it wasn't for you guys.

Comment

Forgot to add my update....
                              I reset the router default channel to 1 from 6 and no more problems.
                              Really appreciate the help.
                              1 thread 2 fixes

Comment

Working...
                              X