Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired AC adapter for cordless products.

Some people might say, "Why bother," because there are inexpensive corded tools out there that serve this purpose. In many cases, people like the convenience of just carrying a few cordless tools....not corded and cordless versions of the same tool. The idea is not to replace the huge horsepower cordless tools...but have a backup when all your batteries are sitting on the chargers. It would only take one adapter, which could be used on any tool that needs it. There is plenty of room to put the electronics inside where the batteries now go.

from what i remember dewalt use to have this for their 24 volt tools. the transformer was large and was on the line cord. a battery adapter would then fit into the tool.

truthfully the cost of this adapter is more than the cost of a top of the line a.c. powered tool.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
      Some people might say, "Why bother," because there are inexpensive corded tools out there that serve this purpose.
      Yup, that's me, I'm one of those people.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Some people might say, "Why bother," ...but have a backup when all your batteries are sitting on the chargers.

I guess I'm one of those people. Usually needing a battery NOW is a lack of poor planning on my part that can easily be prevented by owning more batteries or worst case - just have a short break and one will be ready shortly. I try to be a bit more laid back in how I approach my work - as far as I'm concerned, about the only thing that absolutely HAS to happen NOW is a sneeze.
        Besides, one more extra battery is going to ba a whole bunch cheaper than that gozmo - IMHO.
        Phil
        Tools Rule

Comment

Call me a poor planner then....

Call me a poor planner then...I've been in the middle of a cut and had the battery sag...meanwhile the other battery is sitting on the charger recouping. Also, sometimes I get into some intense cutting and didn't bring my corded saw. I hate to "waste" the battery when I really need it for working the drill or some other task that is much more convenient to do cordless.

I wouldn't want to spend $100 for this...but for $50 I'd keep it in my toolbox.

In the long run, with better battery and tool technology, it seems like something like this would be standard equipment. Once cordless tools approach corded in power why buy both?

Comment

..........Once cordless tools approach corded in power why buy both?
            Because in most cases the battery operated tools that have long run times between recharges usually cost many times more than their corded cousins.

It's one thing if you make your living with your tools but the vast majority of people don't. Why in the world would the average user pay hundreds of dollars for a long running drill when for the same money they could buy a high quality corded drill, corded circular saw plus a corded reciprocating saw?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Building a power supply that would supply the necessary voltage/amps isn't a big challenge, but getting the cost down to $50 or less would be I think. Between the heatsink and transformer, the cost would be prohibitive, in light of the current cost of batteries. Taking into consideration the overall return on investment, the manufacturer would be stealing from one product (batteries) to serve the other (power supply). Add to that warranty and service problems presented by overheated or shorted power supplies, and it's a market I wouldn't want to be in.

On a personal note, I only own two battery operated tools, all the rest have that ever-reliable cord attached. While I certainly enjoy the cordless (find myself reaching for it first anymore), I still can't see having any of my project rely on something that may need charging or re-charging during the process.

CWS

Comment

I certainly wouldn't mind such a device as long as it wasn't that expensive. Doesn't have to cost 50 dollars but I certainly wouldn't want to pay 100 or more for it. I rarely find myself waiting around for a battery but it does happen sometimes. Particularly with the reciprocating saw which not only drains the battery faster than any other tool but heats them up so they have to cool down before they start to charge. I have corded versions of pretty much every tool but its redundant to have to carry both sometimes.

Comment

This is why I have 2 or 3 of every cordless tool...

Comment

Having a common tools helps.

I have the Ridgid's and Ryobi One+ and therefore I don't have to carry 5 or 6 different chargers. Also, have a lot of spare batteries. This works great if you have a job planned....and can charge up a batch. Where it doesn't work great is when you have an unplanned job and you have a pile of uncharged batteries. Lithium batteries are a revolutionary change in this regard. Can top them off at any time and if one sits for 6 months it will still have most of its charge. Right now I leave my NiCads in the fridge if I'm not going to be using them in the next day or so. The hit in power you get from the cold battery is more than compensated by the significantly lower discharge rates.

Energizer info on NiCads
                    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelcadmium_appman.pdf

More info from Red Scholefield, a NiCad expert.
                    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/nicadred.htm

Comment

I used a car battery charger on the 20amp setting years ago to power a 9.6V Craftsman Drill. I just sandwiched some wire up to the contacts in the drills battery and clipped the chargers leads onto the ends. Worked fine. With a few Radio Shack jacks and plugs you could make it look almost professional.

Comment

Re: Wired AC adapter for cordless products.

here you go found a picture I posted more info on my thread.
                        Attached Files
                        American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

IMHO the people who say you dont need a wall adapter for your cordless tools are dead wrong. Not everybody wants to drop the $100 on one battery every time you need a new one, some people knpow the valu of a doller.

Why do you think Dewalt stoped saleing ther corded adapter for the 24.v line. BEcause the did sale as many of there $120.99 batterys or the $95.99 charger any more.

IF you feel frogy like some people out ther there are sites that show you how to build waht you need I know I will next time one of my batterys gose dead.

Comment

Originally posted by K & R Welding View Post
                            IMHO the people who say you dont need a wall adapter for your cordless tools are dead wrong. Not everybody wants to drop the $100 on one battery every time you need a new one, some people knpow the valu of a doller.

Why do you think Dewalt stoped saleing ther corded adapter for the 24.v line. BEcause the did sale as many of there $120.99 batterys or the $95.99 charger any more.

IF you feel frogy like some people out ther there are sites that show you how to build waht you need I know I will next time one of my batterys gose dead.
                            wow

Comment

Working...
                            X