24v Li-Ion Garden Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v Li-Ion Garden Tools

I've seen some suggestions for cordless garden tools. I personally would like to see several new garden tools using the 24v Li-Ion batteries. Specifically, I was hoping recently to find a weed eater from RIDGID that I could use with my 24v. But alas, it doesn't exist. I'm putting off buying a weed eater right now hoping that by some miracle it will be available in the next 6 months or so. I would imagine it could be made using similar motors to the 24v impact drill. Another idea would be a batter lawn mower. This would get a little more complicated. I'd say you'd probably have to hook 2x 24v batteries to it at once. But I'd consider it plausible. Considering there is already a 24v reciprocating saw, circular saw, and drills, I imagine most garden power tools could be created using the same motors as these tools. I hope to see some soon.

Re: 24v Li-Ion Garden Tools

A lawnmower takes quite a bit of power. I doubt even 4 of the 24 Volt power tool batteries could handle that load. What would be nice is a good cordless hedge trimmer. Black & Decker has made them for years, but the quality is lacking. I have a good feeling we may see them before long, but I have a feeling Makita will make one before Ridgid comes out with such. I'm also not sure how long Li-Ion batteries will be used, but what something better will come along.

Comment

I use a push reel lawn mower so the only power it needs is my own.

Of course, I don't have a whole lot of grass to deal with...

Comment

Agreed. I'd like to see a 24V hedge trimmer.

Comment

Just picked up a Ryobi OnePlus 18 volt hedge trimmer.

I have both the Ridgid MaxSelect and the Ryobi OnePlus tools. I would have bought a Ridgid if they had come out with one...especially because a hedge trimmer is the kind of tool where you need all the power you can get. But, since Ridgid doesn't make one, and Ryobi does, I went that route.

I tried it out tonight. Actually, the hedge was past due for a trimming so I really gave it a work out. I was surprised to be able to get through the whole job on one battery. That is about 60 feet of hedge. I didn't cut anything real heavy...like when I have to force the hedge back...but what I did cut it had no problem with. I'm very pleased.

Comment

I've got a B&D 18volt weed wacker/edger and it does a pretty good job. The reason i went with B&D is because they were/are the only game in town when comes to cordless weed wackers!

The thing was cheap enough in price (about 100cdn), but i would have bought a better model had their been one available (24 volt, lithium ion, sturdier casing, etc).

That being said, it has served me well. I can get my whole yard wacked, edged, and then some with 2 fully charged batteries.
            Last edited by franklin pug; 04-16-2007, 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The other OnePlus garden tools, Ryobi is selling now, are a liquid sprayer, a limb trimmer and a blower.

I can't imagine how the blower could be very effective. My corded electric blower is only good for a very short distance.

The liquid sprayer didn't seem like a very needed application. I have a pump bottle that works great.

The limb trimmer looked interesting. However, I can't help but think when you reach up 8 feet into a tree to trim a small branch that the branch would vibrate back and forth like crazy...making the job very difficult. It is hard enough to cut a branch up close...at least than you can hold it with one hand.

I'm surprised the string trimmer works well. Maybe I'll try one of those if Ryobi come out with one.

Comment

Working...
              X