Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Narrower Crevice Tool For Vac!!

I often need a longer crevice tool. For example, I can NOT get the current crevice tool down between the seat and the console of my pickup truck without really jamming it down in there. There are many other cases where I need a longer crevice tool. It could also stand to be narrower. If necessary, use metal but I think that it could be done with plastic. You may need a brace, like the septum in your nose, to stiffen it in the center.

Re: Longer Narrower Crevice Tool For Vac!!

George,

What size hose are you using with your vac? If it's the smaller 1-1/4 inside diameter type, check at a good vacuum cleaner dealer that does service work too. Electrolux used to make a plastic one that was long and narrow. In some cases if you want to go all out, you can buy a metal one that may be up to about 2 feet long and pretty flat. Do ask around and take your hose with you to be sure it fits. If you are using this with the big 2 inch hose that's called 2-1/2 inch size, I would recommend getting a hose kit that will take you over to 1-1/4 size. If you want more info, I'll try to post some links for you. Please see picture. Is this kind of like what you want?
    Attached Files

Comment

My wife's Dyson has a crevice tool about 18" long with a pull out flexible extension on it that extends it to about 30". Great for getting in around car seats. They sell them as a separate accessory.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Get a piece of PVC pipe that fits your hose. Cut to length. Use a heat gun to soften and flatten it out as thin as you want. Just don't close it up. A propane torch will work also, but becarful not to burn the plastic or your self.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

That's a good idea PapaDan! Obviously, I haven't thought of that. I'll have to try that as soon as I get over this bad head cold/sinus infection! Haven't slept in three nights.

I hope to have photos of my awesome shop (well, awesome for an advanced do-it-yourselfer) by late spring. I have the major work done. I still need to build a new bench and a couple of workstations but the hard work is over. Finally! Thank God!! I'm ready to get back to building for fun rather than utility. My lousy back will be happy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            George,

What size hose are you using with your vac?
            I need one for my big hose on my large Ridgid shop vac. Man! What a vac! I've put that thing through some serious use -- many looooong hours ---- and it shows no sign of "getting old".

My wife need one for the small 1 1/4 that she uses. She uses her small Ridgid shop vac for a lot of things other than cleaning out her car. Just the other night, she was trying to clean the lint packed into the dryer filter slot (always some that doesn't come out when you pull out the filter) but the crevice tool wouldn't fit. But she found a way to clean it out.

I'll check out the local home vac dealers and see what they have to say.
            Thanks.

Comment

George

For your shop vac that uses the large size hose you might get a reducing adaptor (see picture) at Home Depot or Lowes or hardware store and use PVC pipe that fits over the small end of it. That way you'll have a long and more compact crevice tool once you heat it up and flatten it some. Actually you might get a PVC reducing coupling (or two) and go with say 1/2 PVC pipe and you may not need to flatten it.
              Attached Files

Comment

This may be a bit "off the thread" but here goes! 3 Weeks ago, our domestic vacuum cleaner died, in a cloud of black smoke. After looking at lots of cheapo's, and even more expensive brand names, with lots of bells & whistles that anyone who has used a shop or industrial vac, knows are absolutely useless. Feeling somewhat justified, as I get detailed to do the house cleaning about half the time, I suggested that we bought a decent shop vac instead. I even took the risk of saying that if the wife hated it, I would do all the vaccing! (Danish Big Mouth Tribe!)
                We can't get Ridgids in Denmark & Norway, so I got the Bosch GAS25.
                I'll never bother cleaning house without a shop vac ever again! I was all done in 1/3 of the time, Results are cleaner, twiddly bits are easier, as heads & nozzles etc. for shop vacs are designed far more practical!
                The idea being:- Get the other half a shop vac next time, and not some fancy gadget.

Comment

RiR

1. Please take a look at this. I think this is a great idea.

2. If you can get one for your shop vac, install a good filter made for fine dust so you aren't blowing dust out the exhaust and all about your house.

http://www.shopvac.com/contest/conte...er_08_2003.asp
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-08-2007, 08:13 PM.

Comment

i was at the applanice store this am they a 3 footer made of plastic 12.99 it was made by fps it wa a sunberg store jeff

Comment

Hi Woussko! Thanks for the link. My wife HAD to point out that (as usuall) I'd been beaten to it by a woman. Just for the record, about 6 of my friends & neighbours have now changed to industrial vacs! Your link really got the ladies agitated, & my vac dissapeared for about a week. Now it's back where I thought it was all the time! I wonder where it's been?

Comment

Hi Woussko! I should have mentioned;- Your point about the filter is absolutely relevant, as an industrial vac has more exhaust air as well.
                        Fortunately the European model Bosch has a micro (HEPA) filter, which is great when cleaning up in a customers home, where they have a child with allergy problems.

Comment

RIR

Sounds nice and thanks for your message.

By the way over here the ladies all want nice new central vacuum systems. The power unit is in the basement and you run PVC pipes around in walls. Then you install hose connections. They are very nice and in a new house without the walls up, are not hard to install. In an older home sometimes it's really not worth the bother. I personally like the machine near me. I have a little industrial grade vacuum cleaner with nice big collection bag and a good second filter. It's nice for cleaning house as long as you don't bang the steel tools into things. I just have to take me time and be careful. The extra power sure is nice. There are powered carpet attachments and you should see how nice they work. Real dirt eaters for sure. You strap the power cord to the hose as some vacuum cleaners have an outlet on the motor head.

Me and my big mouth. Now all the women will want a SUPER VAC in their homes.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X