lil impact driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lil impact driver

I want a very lightweight, very small impact driver with a light, removable battery and all the other regular features of the bigger ones. It does not have to be able to drive 1/4" lag bolts into studs with no predrilling, just work for most regular duty screwing apps. I rarely if ever need more power than my old 14.4 DW drill/driver can handle, so a smaller impact driver would save my arm, be easier to carry and fit in tight spots I struggle with now.

Bosch has had success with their smaller 10 volt, but if ridgid came up with a ridgid style alternative that had impact driving I'd be happy.

PS Hurry up.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: lil impact driver

Woodenstickers,

Never looked back at my DW 18v drill driver after a friend let me borrow his Makita 14.4v NiMh impact driver.I use it on the plumbers hubless pipe couplings.I can torque down couplings all day before the battery starts to run down.Been using it for about 200 hours.The slightly angled head makes it easier to get into tight spots.I bought it in a combo pack with a drill driver,2 batts,chgr and flourescent lamp for somewhere around $180.00 online.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 02-23-2007, 11:13 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

There are more than a few choices out there, I own the Makita lithium
      18 volt impact driver, it's lightweight (3.3 pounds) and powerful, maybe too powerful for your needs, but it may come in handy if you need the extra power.
      It has a LED light too, I dig the light because after pressing and releasing the trigger, the light stays on for a solid 10 seconds then it dies out after
      15 seconds. There are less expensive models and they work well too, I've owned the Ryobi impact and while it does weigh more, it is a very good impact driver and less $, my Ryobi was stolen and I upgraded to the Makita. Panasonic has some very nice impacts and never heard a bad word about the Hitachi, I believe Hitachi was the first company to come out with cordless impacts. Makita has a 7.2 volt lithium impact driver, it's pretty new so I don't know the feedback on those. While this online retailer are out of these, they have the best price for this model.
      http://www.heavydutytools.net/Script...?idProduct=528

Comment

Makita
        1/4 In. 18 V, LXT Lithium-Ion Impact Driver Kit
        Model BTD140

Lightweight, Powerful, Rugged, Super long battery life, nicely designed case that has room for all kinds of accessories, screws, bits, 1/4" & 3/8" sockets and adapters etc.

I bought mine at hd about 9 months ago.
        I got the ½" 18 volt LXT hammer drill mailed to me free when I bought the impact driver, this made it a real great deal! I also use it as a mini impact wrench for assembling small Items, home Improvement and woodworking projects.

This driver has more than ample power for driving lags, screws or drilling wood, metal and concrete yet is much lighter than other drivers in it class.
        The driver is well balanced and fits and feels great in your hands.
        It has a super long battery life while in use and also holds a charge for a long time when not in use. The charger determines how much the drill needs charged and charges only what is needed which cuts down on charging time.
        The belt clip and light are a real nice feature

Highly recommended if you have arthritis or weak wrists, or have a lot of work above shoulder height.

Link ..http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=BTD140

If Ridgid could come up with driver like this with a lifetime warranty it would be a real winner.
        Last edited by Davet; 02-25-2007, 01:21 AM.

Comment

davet,

That is a bit more than I (hope I'll) need in terms of power for a while. I want one like jaco posted, but with variable speed control and better switch placement. I too am waiting to hear some feedback on that makita, jaco, but if that link you gave gets some more in at that price I might just gamble it and try it out.

My numb morning hands and lighter work have me looking for the least amount of power (just enough to cover my needs) and least weight compared to when I was younger and in heavier construction. Then I always wanted to have all the power I could just in case.

Come on Ridgid, less with the 98.9volt lithium ion jackhammer race and more with the savin my aching elbows! I'll buy it and get my tendinitis from typin up it's praises all over the net every night
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
            davet,

That is a bit more than I (hope I'll) need in terms of power for a while. I want one like jaco posted, but with variable speed control and better switch placement. I too am waiting to hear some feedback on that makita, jaco, but if that link you gave gets some more in at that price I might just gamble it and try it out.

My numb morning hands and lighter work have me looking for the least amount of power (just enough to cover my needs) and least weight compared to when I was younger and in heavier construction. Then I always wanted to have all the power I could just in case.

Come on Ridgid, less with the 98.9volt lithium ion jackhammer race and more with the savin my aching elbows! I'll buy it and get my tendinitis from typin up it's praises all over the net every night
            Agreed. An entire lightweight lithium line would be nice. Start with a little drill/driver and impact wrench. 14.4V is plenty. Shoot for sub-3 pound weight. Benchmark Panasonic's and Makita's small tools.

Don't forget ergonomics, like rubberized grips, LED worklight and onboard storage.

Things you can leave off: hammer drill, depth stop, and anything else that adds weight and bulk.

You will sell a ton of them.

Comment

There is talk that Bosch is going to release an impact version of the pocket driver soon. The regular ones are very nice but I'm sure the impact would be more powerful.

I use the one I have for up-fitting hardware onto cabinets in a commercial cabinet shop. I have a Makita 18V impact driver for heavier assembly chores.

Comment

Can't wait for the bosch pocket impact. Amazon has them listed, but not available for a couple of months

http://tinyurl.com/2747ae

Comment

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
                  Can't wait for the bosch pocket impact. Amazon has them listed, but not available for a couple of months

http://tinyurl.com/2747ae
                  It will be nice to be lightweight. I'd like to see them make a right angle one like it that didn't use that darn electronic clutch. A right angle can get into places that that one won't. In fact, I think it is funny how they show it tightening that nut, in the bottom picture, when it obviously can't get to any of the other ones behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                    It will be nice to be lightweight. I'd like to see them make a right angle one like it that didn't use that darn electronic clutch. A right angle can get into places that that one won't. In fact, I think it is funny how they show it tightening that nut, in the bottom picture, when it obviously can't get to any of the other ones behind it.

Maybe he installed the conduit one at a time, left to right, and he's on his last one!

Comment

Working...
                    X