Ridgid Radio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Radio

Yeah, I don't know why they limited the scanner to race-only channels? Inclusion of the weather bands, NOAA channels, even maybe some VHF TV audio scan capability would've been cool. A wider scanner frequency range definitely would've been a plus - the race scanner is only worthwhile really if you are within radio distance of a race.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      Yeah, I don't know why they limited the scanner to race-only channels? Inclusion of the weather bands, NOAA channels, even maybe some VHF TV audio scan capability would've been cool. A wider scanner frequency range definitely would've been a plus - the race scanner is only worthwhile really if you are within radio distance of a race.
      I wonder if you're on to something? When you mentioned TV, I thought okay Dewalt has a patent on a radio charger, but do they have one on a TV charger? Could Ridgid have included a five inch black and white or color screen and called it the josit TV with charger? Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I wonder if you're on to something? When you mentioned TV, I thought okay Dewalt has a patent on a radio charger, but do they have one on a TV charger? Could Ridgid have included a five inch black and white or color screen and called it the josit TV with charger? Any thoughts?
        Oh god, Franki - you're hitting the sauce again, aren't you?!!

LOL. Just teasin' ya, buddy!

No, I don't think it would be feasable to include a small TV screen on this. I was just thinking about a VHF/UHF audio channel pickup, so that you could hear the audio of local TV stations. Eton / Grundig have that on some of those wicked crank up emergency radios. I just think it might have been another selling point, easy and cheap enough for them to put on there. You can get an Eton/Grundig crank radio for about $29 or $39, and it picks up AM/FM/VHF/UHF/NOAA/Weather bands/ and shortwave world band radio, plus it has a small LED light, and cell phone battery charge capability. At the very least, Ridgid had a neat idea with the inclusion of the scanner, but they should have opened up the frequency bandwidth that it could pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          Oh god, Franki - you're hitting the sauce again, aren't you?!!

LOL. Just teasin' ya, buddy!

No, I don't think it would be feasable to include a small TV screen on this. I was just thinking about a VHF/UHF audio channel pickup, so that you could hear the audio of local TV stations. Eton / Grundig have that on some of those wicked crank up emergency radios. I just think it might have been another selling point, easy and cheap enough for them to put on there. You can get an Eton/Grundig crank radio for about $29 or $39, and it picks up AM/FM/VHF/UHF/NOAA/Weather bands/ and shortwave world band radio, plus it has a small LED light, and cell phone battery charge capability. At the very least, Ridgid had a neat idea with the inclusion of the scanner, but they should have opened up the frequency bandwidth that it could pick up.
          Okay so you think I'm nuts, but would calling it a "Jobsite TV" get around the legal inclusion of a charger? If so I'm sure they could stuff a small 3 to 5" LCD in there and voila! Charger

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Okay so you think I'm nuts, but would calling it a "Jobsite TV" get around the legal inclusion of a charger? If so I'm sure they could stuff a small 3 to 5" LCD in there and voila! Charger
            You know, you are on to something maybe. It's always the crazy ones who end up becoming gazillionaires!

(In all honesty, if it's got orange and grey on it, I'll sign up to buy one of your LCD chargers. As long as it has a HDMI port to it, so I can plug in my PS3 to play it when my wife kicks my arse into the garage after spending so much on another freaking tool and/or tv, whatever she feels like giving me crap about! LOL.)

Comment

Ok, am I the only one who is a little baffled by the battery charger "patent" issue on this radio? Since when can't manufacturers combine essentials into a single product? The Dewalt radio also has an MP3 connector built in, just like the Ridgid. Why wasn't that prevented by the patent? My fridge also has a light bulb in it, just like everyone else's. Not essential to keeping my food cold, but a nice additional "accessory". My PDA phone rests on a docking cradle to sync data with my laptop, but it also charges both the battery in the phone and also the backup battery.......same as every other PDA phone manufacturer. Why no patent issues there?

Unless someone can convince me that I'm missing something here, I'm thinking the built in charger idea just kinda slipped the minds of the designers.

Sorry, but I am a little cranky today!
              Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Some things are easier to patent than others. The battery charger thing was unique. Being able to hook up mp3 players is implemented in all kinds of consumer electronics. I think patents have to be "non obvious" its all in the rules.

Comment

Come on Josh, it's time for new lawyers on the Ridgid team. Throw caution to the wind and take a risk on the charger. A little multi-million dollar patent infringment lawsuit won't hurt too much, right?
                  Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Josh I don't know if you have the answer to this question, but is the DeWalt patent for a charger on a "jobsite radio" Specifically? I brought up in earlier posts the idea of putting a 3" lcd tv screen on the unit and calling it a Jobsite TV. Would it make any difference or does DeWalt have a patent on any and all devices that incorporate a charger? Thanks.

Comment

I just have to think their is some way around this patented charger deal.

As it is, I have quite a few Ridgid tools, and won't buy any other brand as long as Ridgid puts out tools i need and keeps that lifetime warrenty. This radio on the other hand will not be added to my collection of tools, as it definitely does not fit my "tools I need" description. If all it is is a radio with MP3 capabilities, I can buy those way cheaper to use on a jobsite. Heck until I bought the DeWalt radio about 8 years back, I used to just go buy a loud cheapy radio and build a small box to go around it and protect it. Worked fine then, certainly will today.

Jeff

Comment

The Ridgid Radio is in !!!!! at least in my store....I was walking past the hardware department and noticed that some TTI stuff came in (Ryobi, Ridgid etc....) and right on top of the stack was the brand new radio !! I opened it up like it was Christmas !!! I looked it over, it's pretty sweet and pretty hefty !! I must say it seems to be built well. I didn't plug it in however so i don't know how it sounds..... We also received in the new micro 12 volt driver with the chuck and that thing looks pretty sweet too. I just wanted to let everyone know so you all can start scouring your local Depot's ...have fun !!!

Comment

My buddy says Dewalt has like 8 different patents on the chargers and Bosch is paying $20 per unit to dewalt for the charger option.

Comment

Originally posted by plastrr385 View Post
                            My buddy says Dewalt has like 8 different patents on the chargers and Bosch is paying $20 per unit to dewalt for the charger option.
                            I wonder if you could modify a Bosch or DeWalt Radio to charge Ridgid batteries?

Comment

Here is a novel idea...
                              What is RIDGID re-designed their chargers to have a radio in them...?
                              Don't put a charger in the radio, put a radio in the charger...
                              Works for me...LOL

Comment

Hey, a little epoxy and you have your charger on any radio! I still think they could have Called it a "Jobsite TV" installed a small LCD TV and gotten around the DeWalt patent!

Comment

Working...
                                X