Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Radio

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    I wonder if you could modify a Bosch or DeWalt Radio to charge Ridgid batteries?
    Doesn't the Bosch one have a power outlet ? A little duct tape and you got yourself a deal.

Comment

It's Here!
      $139.00 AM/FM runs on 12-24v batteries. Will not charge batteries. Will accept your IPod and hold in place protected from the jobsite elements. Also if you a NASCAR fan it has a built in race scanner.

Comment

60+ posts over a radio. i had no idea there were so many music lovers participating in this forum. go figure.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I just actually saw them at my local Canadian HD. There were 8 in boxes, and 1 on display. Funny thing is, they were selling for $139 CAD. Good to see that the prices are starting to come into parity, considering the dollar. Guess I can use my gift cards to get this one!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            I just actually saw them at my local Canadian HD. There were 8 in boxes, and 1 on display. Funny thing is, they were selling for $139 CAD. Good to see that the prices are starting to come into parity, considering the dollar. Guess I can use my gift cards to get this one!
            Canuck, what exactly do you feel are the selling points of this product for you? Is the race scanner something that you will use? Will it be a handy way to run down batteries before charging in a separate charger? I think the design looks very nice and some of the features were well thought out but without a charger, race scanner or not, it's just a radio with the Ridgid logo on it that will run on their batteries.

Comment

Canuck, what exactly do you feel are the selling points of this product for you? Is the race scanner something that you will use? Will it be a handy way to run down batteries before charging in a separate charger? I think the design looks very nice and some of the features were well thought out but without a charger, race scanner or not, it's just a radio with the Ridgid logo on it that will run on their batteries.
              That is exactly what I thought too, their are absolutely no selling points to this radio. It does nothing useful that any other much cheaper radio can't do. The race scanner is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen put on a jobsite radio, and the mp3 plug is on just about everything these days including new vehicles. This radio should sell for no more than about $69 in my opinion, as it is worth no more than that. If I found one for next to nothing on craigslist I would buy it just to see what it would take to make it charge batteries as well, but I will not buy one for over $25.

Jeff

Jeff

Comment

Frankie, you said it for me. The biggest selling point of this for me is that it is a radio that will run on Ridgid batteries.

I have no real need for something to run down my batteries (all are lithium ion, and I have a flashlight anyways, if I really needed something for that purpose). The scanner, I find, is a neat idea, I'm just a bit disappointed that it is for race scanner channels only - I'm in Canada, hundreds of miles from the nearest NASCAR track, so that doesn't really do me any good. The mp3/Ipod inclusion is a definite plus.

My biggest thing though is that it's a radio to run on my tool batteries. I go camping, SAR-rescuing, fishing, backpacking, etc., a lot - as such I go through batteries a fair bit. Either that, or I take my little Grundig crank radio, which I don't mind, but it's not the greatest sounding due to the single speaker. So, it looks like this radio can pump out half decently, and will run off of my rechargable tool batteries. That alone is worth it for me.

(Plus, I've been feigning for this radio for a long time, so I just "have to have it", no matter what is does or doesn't do! )

I just feel that it's priced a bit higher than it should. Don't understand how the price is what it is, considering the competition.

Comment

Sounds like this might be a better option, build a case around it to protect it and your are good to go.
                  The Black & Decker Power To Go includes a portable household power source with two 120V AC outlets for use with a small TV, laptop, etc., a built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 12 hours runtime, a MP3 player compartment with audio input and USB port to play & charge most digital music players, a built-in LED area lights for use in dark areas or emergencies, an AM/FM Digital Radio with 4 speakers with 1 tweeters, a charger for most MP3 players that can be in use while listening to music, a bass enhancement speaker system with ON/OFF bass boost control for superior sound quality, a USB charging port, power and/or recharges USB personal electronics, and a multi-directional rubberized antenna provides for increased durability.
                  $99 via amazon
                  http://toolmonger.com/2008/02/11/bla...box/#more-8900

Comment

Originally posted by Knary50 View Post
                    Sounds like this might be a better option, build a case around it to protect it and your are good to go.

$99 via amazon
                    http://toolmonger.com/2008/02/11/bla...box/#more-8900

Nope, Amazon has it for $69.99 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...100B&x=20&y=22

Comment

Thanks for the idea, Knary, but no B&D for me anymore - no matter what. I've had too many issues with their various tools.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        Thanks for the idea, Knary, but no B&D for me anymore - no matter what. I've had too many issues with their various tools.

Canuck how is it that you are able to obtain and sell Ridgid products on Ebay before they are available in stores?

Got my eye on the wetvac

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Canuck how is it that you are able to obtain and sell Ridgid products on Ebay before they are available in stores?

Got my eye on the wetvac
                          LOL. Are you talking about the MaxSelect wet/dry vac?

Comment

uh yea

How about a price break for an Forum member

Comment

PC, LOL. Actually, I do believe they are available in your area. They are unfortunately not available in Canada, as are other Ridgid tools, so I routinely make the 1 hour trip over to Michigan and buy a bunch of this stuff, to resell it to Canadian consumers (many for family and friends). Ebay customers obviously pay a premium for this - how else am I going to afford all the new stuff as it comes out!

And, though many people do dislike what I'm doing maybe, I find that the irony is that me buying one Ridgid drill and becoming a member on this forum has turned me into a bit of a "tool hooooore". And as such, I myself want the new stuff as it comes out, and as my wife lovingly refers to it, I want my "orange and grey crack cocaine". Also, I've found that there is quite a market for it, so it works for me with eBay. Shows you the market for this stuff - this item is available within the US apparently, but here you are in Washington,DC, and asking this crazy canuck for help! Just kidding, PC.

But I do believe the MaxSelect wet/dry vac is available in your area out in DC. You may have to do some hunting though. It is widely available in Michigan, but not in Canada. But, on a flip side, the Ridgid headless pinner is not going to be available in the US, but is here in Canada. I've already helped out other forum members in that regard. If you did end up needing my help with the MaxSelect wet/dry vac, I could do that for you next time I went into Michigan (could ship from right there, cheaper and easiest - no duties). Cost to you would be only my exact costs - purchase price plus taxes (all shown on included receipt), shipping costs, and whatever PayPal costs for money transfer.

Comment

And here I thought you had hijacked some Ridgid tools off the boat from China or had an inside track from someone at the factory

I don't care that you use the our nearly worthless American dollar to purchase tools and resell for profit. I'm a bit of an entrepreneur myself

When leg warmers come back in style I'll be in fat city

Comment

Working...
                                X