Redesign the Planer or bandsaw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redesign the Planer or bandsaw?

The ridgid bandsaw came in just about last place in a recent review of bandsaws, and is not the best regarded of tools in the ridgid lineup. The 2 blade planer was pretty much top rated in planer reviews, and generally very well regarded. Yet Ridgid chose to redesign the planer and come out with a redesigned unit. I would have thought a redesign of the bandsaw should have been a higher priority??

Re: Redesign the Planer or bandsaw?

I'm not so sure the bandsaw needs a new design as much as it needs better quality parts and better quality control. People that own the bandsaw and have fixed up bad parts or machining seem to think it's OK for the price provided they didn't spend much on repairs or upgrades. I personally would save my $$$ and go for better if I were in the market for one, but that would cost me more money too.

Comment

Originally posted by DWfromUK View Post
      ....... I would have thought a redesign of the bandsaw should have been a higher priority??
      I couldn't agree more but what are ya gonna do?
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Yep, in terms of redesign the planer had fallen farther behind technologically. The new improvements put it in the same class as many of the best planers out there. The problem with the bandsaw appears to be a lack of quality control which also affects other products like the miter saws. There is nothing wrong with the design. They just need to be built better!

Comment

Which do you think is cheaper (ooops, more "cost effective") to improve on a good design? or to start over from a bad design?

Comment

As the others have stated, the design is fine(mostly)...........the quality is lacking and it seems that the backing is not there for repairs.
            I bought mine at a woodworking show, knowing full well that it was a "REMAN". I already had several other RIGID woodworking tools with no problems, so I didn't think a thing of it. I later learned that there were potential problems. Mine had a bad lower tire, which I just replaced with a urethane unit. I had a slight vibration, which seemed to be worse as it slowed down when turned off. A link belt and plywood shelves solved that. The only real complaint I have...........What IDIOT designed the lower door? In stock form it won't open past 45 degrees or so. I moved the motor out some when I did the plywood base plate and belt change to solve that. It makes a bigger footprint now though. It's not a huge problem, but it should be addressed by RIGID.
            I got mine really cheap and in a non-returnable situation, so some adapting was acceptable....As a full retail purchase, I would have returned this one.

Comment

Working...
            X