X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery packs

No idea if this has been mentioned before but here goes.
    Battery packs that take standard batteries with tools able to take the slight difference in voltages.Then you could change the batteries with standard AA,C or D cells and it'd be your choise to use an alkaline a ni-cad or l-ion ni-mh.Then you just toss or recycle the cells when used up.And you could buy replacement batteries anywhere.Include a ni-cad ni-mh l-ion compatable charger for the pack size.Yup won't happen I know because then you won't be tied to that tool company for replacements lol
    Sam

Re: Battery packs

For what this may be worth there are places that can re-gut battery packs with new cells of the proper type. They dispose of or recycle the old cells for you. I have 2 such places near me and have saved some good $$$ when my older Dewalt Ni-Cad batteries pooped out. Rebuilding costs about 1/2-2/3 of new batteries.

With Li-Ion this won't work because the cells must be matched exactly to the charger and some battery packs have memory chips in them now. In addition some are made so you can't get them open without busting up the casing. This is so you must buy replacement batteries and how the power tool manufactures and service centers put the skrews to their customers.

Comment

I've seen this in video and camera batteries. In some cases it works ok for small devices but it's really not practical or reliable. Too many variables in performance which could lead to performance and possibly reliability problems. Also risk of putting in cells that can not handle high discharge rates. Alkalines are really not meant for that and besides possible safety issues they wouldn't last very long. The cost would quickly add up to that of a new battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

With Li-Ion this won't work because the cells must be matched exactly to the charger and some battery packs have memory chips in them now. In addition some are made so you can't get them open without busting up the casing. This is so you must buy replacement batteries and how the power tool manufactures and service centers put the skrews to their customers.
        There are places already regutting lithium batteries. For now though, I would stick to new packs only. There are too many variables in the technology that require the right type of cells being used in the battery pack. Most manufacturers have exclusive contracts so getting the right cells aftermarket might be impossible. For the time being and for safety sake I would not consider regutting a lithium ion battery.

Comment

Working...
        X