X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinal Auger

Id love to see a urinal auger, like your toilet auger....

Im tired of using the ones that are out there now...the cable bends and kinks to easy

a small version of the regular toilet auger would be awesome, cable sturdier then what is out there now....
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Re: Urinal Auger

now that is some thick pee to clog a urinal
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Calcium buildup in the mouth of the urinals and just past the traps of the urinals is the most common blockages in urinals...specially at restuarants with all that good steak and beer

Sometimes you can plunge them, but the calcium buildup gets bad....
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I agree greg, a better urinal auger needs to be made, but, keep in mind, it cannot be any larger then 1/4", the tight trap is already hard enough to pass on the small urinals.

I have yet to clear a yeast (piss crystal) stoppage with a urinal auger, mostly pull out paper towels and such in the trap of the urinal.

I have used a top snake before in a pinch, not a problem, the only thing is have a pumice stone ready to remove any scratches if you slip
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Maybe for 2008 RIDGID-KOLLMAN will come out with just what you are looking for D M. Until then how about giving them "The Royal Flush" of about 5 gallons of water every hour when in heavy use and also one normal flush every hour when not being used much? That should help keep them running free.

Oh wait, If people did that then the drain cleaners would be out of business.
          Last edited by Woussko; 11-03-2007, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Glad I read this

And I'm pretty sure the urinal auger I had on my truck for 2 years that bent up/broke on the first urinal I tried to clear is the same reason you guys complain of the same situation.

Here's what I do in situations like these:

IF I know without a doubt that there isn't a foreign object in the urinal, the property owner tells me that it was slowing up considerably before it finally stopped, given the age of the building and the amount of use it gets I'll pour muriatic acid down that first.

Even the best cable won't break up some of the hardest crustations inside those throats and the openings on some aren't that big to begin with.

There is a product out there called Calci-Solve; all you're buying is is muriatic acid with food coloring in it to give it that slight pink color to it.

Read the MSDS specs on it and you'll see that the components are identical. The muriatic acid used for swimming pools is 4 times cheaper than calci-solve as well.

***This is advice strictly for plumbers, not the average DIY'r that doesn't know the seriousness of chemical uses***

Pour that product down the urinal slowly, use 2 gallons and between applications flush the fixture to do a thorough cleaning. You'll have that fixture flushing like it was just installed.

I also use this method to bring back old toilets. Tape off the bowl rim jets, keep a full tank of water in the toilet and pour muriatic acid down the overflow as fast as you can. DO NOT USE A FUNNEL That is why you keep the tank full of water so any that gets outside of the overflow it'll instantly dilute with no damaging effects. Taping the bowl rim jets will force the acid to sit and eat up all calcium buildup that slowly changes the degree angle that the toilet was first designed to produce a strong vortex.

I've seen toilets whereby the bowl rim jets are so clogged up that the toilet is flushing like a wash-down style toilet back from the old days.

Always use the above advice in worst case scenarios, never as a 1st try method.

I have no intentions of buying another urinal auger since I wasted mine on the first try. Shop vac I'd think would be more effective if debri was to blame. If it has a cover on the urinal mouth and it clogged instantly, probably cigarrette butts that'll suck out.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Glad I read this

i have a question about that but it is just a general question.

woun't the acid be neutrelized by the water and then become ineffective?

i have allways been told that water netrelizes acids.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It does. The more water you add to muriatic acid the weaker the strength. When they clean brick with it I believe it's a 4:1 ratio I believe.

The flushing of the urinal is to get the acid out that is now dirty from effective cleaning the buildup, do the rinse and then introduce the second batch. You won't be introducing the second batch unless it's slowly opening, the excess is going to displace out of the trap by running out, the solution gets stronger the more you add to the water.

This acid will clean up a faucet stem like it's brand new, just have to rinse with hot water right away. Gotta know how to work with it as it is very caustic and dangerous.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

here is a pdf file on it, very inlighting aswell.

http://www.hasapool.com/msds/110.pdf
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

hey robert i made my own urinal augers they work well i work at northrup in el segundo ca have over 500 urinals cable litle soft but easy to replace, have cleared wax, mineral deposits,ear plugs,and get this tooth picks, gum, the cable last over a 100 uses depending on the user i also have out of service covers for toilets,sinks,and urinals, hit me up and ill make you an auger to try out

Comment

I agree, someone needs to make a good urinal auger. I bought a General once and it kinked up on the first try. Junk! With over a hundred urinals at the school district, Its my biggest service issue. When I have to replace a urinal, I go to one with the removeable stainless strainer by Zurn. It stops the rascally kids from jambing paper towls and short pencils and other trash into the traps.

Comment

Hercules "sizzle": I have 2000 fixtures in my building, for the urinals, with 1-3 - 1/2 hour treatments worked wonders on the calcium and urinal salt buildups, from slow or clogged to that great draining sound we love!
                        For professional use only hercules inc. The maker of clobber, created this safe hydrochloric acid.

Comment

I too have the same problem with finding a good urinal auger. I work at a university and we have mega problems with the guys dorms and blocked urinals from the urine salts and other bodily matter blocking the drains. Use Calci-Solve but would love to take a look at what you are making! Am willing to buy one too if it will do the job.

Do you have a picture of it that makes it unique, or is it the metal in it that is so flexable? Let me know, I am very interested!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OUT OF SERVICE co. View Post
                            hey robert i made my own urinal augers they work well i work at northrup in el segundo ca have over 500 urinals cable litle soft but easy to replace, have cleared wax, mineral deposits,ear plugs,and get this tooth picks, gum, the cable last over a 100 uses depending on the user i also have out of service covers for toilets,sinks,and urinals, hit me up and ill make you an auger to try out
                            Tell more!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                              Tell more!
                              please

steve
                              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X