X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you use my tool????

My tool is a small manual pump for evacuating liquids out of traps, toilet bowls, clogged sinks/toilets, broken toilets, ruptured underground pipe holes, etc.
    I came up with this while replacing a toilet with the "cup and sponge" method. The toilet bowl was broken by a renter and could not be flushed because the water would simply come from the tank to the floor. I got the water out of the tank and the bowl both with the "cup and sponge" method. My pump would evacuate the water out of the bowl and tank faster, with less mess and with less clean-up.

I also needed it just the other day when we punctured a shallowly buried PVC pipe while putting up some formwork. The pipe was in an inconvient place(near sidewalk, foundation, plants, etc.) so we could not dig a very large hole. After that I was using a cup to get the water out of the hole, so we could replace it. Not a big deal, except that it was about 30 degrees out and the water was frigid well water.

It could further be used for other tasks like getting the toilet or sink water level down before it is snaked, or plunged.

I know many pros out there don't care about getting their hands dirty, but it seems that a reasonably priced pump would save time as well, and time is money.

Please give me your thoughts.

Re: Would you use my tool????

I use just a $20 shop vac, buy 3 a year to do what you just said and it doubles for cleaning up dirt/debri as well.

I don't put the filter on it as it's too much work to keep switching so I'll leave about 2" of water in the bottom of it, shake it while I'm sucking up dust and what not.

It eventually burns up the small shop vac but it does a heck of a job on both tasks.....the only downfall is its less than 2 gallon capacity.....which really isn't a big deal when you consider how small it is and how effective it works.

In your idea....I've used drill pumps with no luck with a cordless drill that takes forever, I've also used a waterbed pump for both pumping out meter pits and emptying a water heater when no accessible floor drain nearby.

The pump works but it has a very vulnerable rubber impeller that stops easily when debris flows through it, the reason they send you with 3 extra impellers.

Make a good one that attaches to a RIDGID or other cordless drill that fast pumps, can short hose it to a drywall bucket and hold up to the test of durability and you got a marketable product.

Send me your first demo as I'll be a great testament to using and abusing products to the point of failure.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Ya I've used a wet-dry vac before, but sometimes lugging it upstairs isn't worth it. Especially if there was a small light weight pump that could do it.
      I think I may have given the wrong impression also. The pump I am speaking of is manual, like the waterbed pump, or a bike pump. I know what you mean about the clogging also. The only other one I have found patented was designed in a flawed way so that the check valves clogged. The one I designed won't clog easily, and is easily opened and cleaned if it does.

Comment

$19.88

Less than a 1' wide, weighs less than 4 pounds

That picture denotes 12" by 12" tiles to get an idea how small it is

Manual? That sounds like work.

Have you been to Harbor Freight?

If there's anything designed like you speak of.....and cheap, that would be your first competition.

Run keywords on their search engine to find a similar item, then fight with the foreigners that build those for pennies an hour.
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I uses a Guzzler to suck out condensate lines..cost about $20...its a hand held pump for priming pumps...but has some serious suction.

Comment

I just checked harbor freight and they don't have anything like it. I don't think it would be much work. The one I designed is spring loaded and has a base, so just stand it up and push down a couple times. Can't be more than about 5LBS if even that. I am dissapointed that wet/dry vac is so cheap. Twenty bucks is crazy, damn you Walmart . The only advantage I guess it would have is the price, durability, and fact that you could use it for things like pumping out flooded water meter access points, and busted pipes. The fact you can just pump it into a 5gal bucket and dump it is pretty nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
              I uses a Guzzler to suck out condensate lines..cost about $20...its a hand held pump for priming pumps...but has some serious suction.
              Cool, thanks for the tip. I just looked them up, they look like good pumps, but a little overkill and a little pricey, so maybe there is a niche market.

Edit: I must have looked at the wrong ones cause they weren't $20, I'll double check.

Comment

just saw your other thread.

unless there is something very unique about your pump and the all the other hand operated pumps, good luck on the patent.

i have a few hand operated pumps and 1 is prone to clogging at the inlet, the others are not. all pump a lot of water per stroke.

you really need to get to a marine store and see what is out there already.

a manual bilge pump works the best for me. i have a 1'' model and a 1.5'' model. the electric ones start at 3/4'' hose thread.

good luck.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I'm not that worried about the patent, more about if it is actually marketable. I did alot of research, and I'm pretty sure that patent will go through, but a lot of patents go through and nothing happens with them.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    just saw your other thread.

unless there is something very unique about your pump and the all the other hand operated pumps, good luck on the patent.

i have a few hand operated pumps and 1 is prone to clogging at the inlet, the others are not. all pump a lot of water per stroke.

you really need to get to a marine store and see what is out there already.

a manual bilge pump works the best for me. i have a 1'' model and a 1.5'' model. the electric ones start at 3/4'' hose thread.

good luck.
                    Ya, my pump has a different design. It would work better than the manual bilge pumps, clog less, is more durable, etc. Hopefully it would be the same price or cheaper. I sent the Ridgid team an email, maybe they'll pick it up and save me the work of finding a manufacturer. One problem it solves is the pulling motion of the cheap bilge pumps. Instead it's a pumping motion which is much easier as you can bear your weight down on it.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of this?
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

No, I don't have pictures of a good production model. I have blueprints, a couple prototypes, and a patent pending. I am looking for a manufacturer to produce them, I sent an email to Ridgid, but figured I might as well get some good feedback while here. Honestly they probably won't pick it up, but why not try. I'm glad to hear that people have been using pumps from marine supply places, maybe if a quality pump truly designed with plumbers in mind will do well. I can always hope.

Edit: Grammar.
                        Last edited by kevkahuna; 12-31-2007, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I need to apologize in advance.
                          My wife just walked over, saw the threads title and almost fell over laughing.
                          End of segway, carry on.

Comment

Sounds interesting though.....anything new to the field that is better, is better.

Walmart probably buys those shop vacs for $9 a piece, I bet. Their made in another country, assembled for next to nothing and brought back here for profit.

I'm a price consheanshus pokahanoss shopper so I'm good for the buy.

Comment

I'm with dunbar; wet vac. I don't like the fact that I can't buy a tall skinny one anymore though... they were a lot easier to carry full than the short squat ones you have to get now.

You want to sell me a pump? make me something self-priming, that will flow 5gpm at about 30' of head, will suck through about 4' of about 1" hose and discharge through a garden hose, will suck and pump toilet paper w/o clogging, can run dry w/o damage for up to 10 min, and will reprime itself if sucks air for a few seconds. I'll pay alot more than $20 for this. and put a motor on it, and make it small and less than 20lb .
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X