X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All drills MUST have TWO bit holders.

How many times have you openned the box of whatever to find that you have the wrong driver bits for your job?

To stop this frustration, all drills should be built with two bit holders designed to hold double-ended bits. Why? So that you can put a flat/phillips double ender in one and a robertson #2/#1 double ender in the other.

With this setup your always ready no matter what screw head you need to deal with. Grab your drill and go. For all those installation or rennovation jobs, you don't have to guess at what your going to need before you start the job.

This may sound petty to some but it's not. Using my Dewalt, I just grab the drill and I dont' worry about what bit I need or have to seach through my crusty tool box. Those four sizes/styles are always on the drill and ready. For more repetative jobs, I'll use a good quality dedicated bit but for all those others, I'm prepared.

Rigid, this is an easy change to make. What do you say?

I'm a little particular about this and it is the major reason I'm not yet using Rigid's drills.

Re: All drills MUST have TWO bit holders.

I agree, even my Ryobi has double slots. Ridigid could mold four slots if they wanted, it's always a work and time saver to have those extra bits right on the tool. Hammerdrill, impact, right angle, all of them. A quick fix for now might be some kind of snap on holder?

Comment

To tell you the truth, not one of my drills have a driver in those slots. All I ever use is a magnetic driver and those double ended drivers won't fit into a magnetic driver. So I chuck the double ended ones into the trash or lost in a drawer somewhere. Once you go to a magnetic driver, you won't look back. Maybe they can intricate an Army Swiss knife into the battery instead.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The only bit holder a drill should have is a large rare earth magnet tucked away somewhere. This could hold any metal bit you could imagine with out the limitations of the regular bit holders ( could even hold the screws your using for you). The top of most drills could easily incorporate this.

IMO for what its worth
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by NailBanger View Post
          The only bit holder a drill should have is a large rare earth magnet tucked away somewhere. This could hold any metal bit you could imagine with out the limitations of the regular bit holders ( could even hold the screws your using for you). The top of most drills could easily incorporate this.

IMO for what its worth
          Bill
          This is a good idea and would require very little design work and tool modification. It's probably something we could simply modify ourselves. I've used a magnetic bit holder for years and while it's handy for many applications, it adds length to the drill which is a problem in some places. I'm also not sure if the magnetic bit holder is designed for the higher torque of the impact drivers? Still, all good ideas given the limitations of the current design.

Comment

garager you're right about the impact and double ender bits but even then, there should be two bit holders for you on that tool.

IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I've used a magnetic bit holder for years and while it's handy for many applications, it adds length to the drill which is a problem in some places. I'm also not sure if the magnetic bit holder is designed for the higher torque of the impact drivers?
              I use a BiTorsion magnetic bit holder (got some from my old workplace, when they were updating some tools). It's made by Wera, and they call it a "Rapidaptor BiTorsion Universal Bit Holder - 1/4" hex". Don't know what the ratings are for it as to how much torque and/or strain they can take, but I know that we had the impacts set at my old workplace on the assembly line to 1350 inch pounds on the impact drivers that we were using, and I know I would break one or two bits a week, and snap off the odd bolt head or screwhead, but never once did I ever break this wicked little tool. I think they cost about 25 bucks just for this little thing, but man, are they ever worth it. I have one on each of my drills.

Looks like this:

Comment

My B&D cordless screwdriver has two bit holders and I just find them annoying. I tried using them, but just ended up losing bits.

The magnet sounds like a good idea!

Comment

Hi all ... first post.

I agree P/T - one of my biggest pet peeves about cordless drills. I just like a secure bit holder(s) rather than magnet because I'd knock the bits off all the time. Who uses slotted bits any more anyhow? If I see a slot-head screw, the first thing I do is put my driver down and grab a screwdriver (I hate drilling out screws!).

Would a strong magnet not potentially interfere with the operation of the electric motor?

Comment

Working...
                  X