X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Tool Line

There have been many threads here, some written by myself requesting all sorts of useful tools some of which are already made by other manufacturers. I would like to suggest that Ridgid start a program of making the most complete line of cordless tools by offering everything in both the Ryobi and DeWalt brands combined. Ridgid has an edge over Ryobi as far as quality in my opinion and with the 18volt and 24 3.0 AH lithiums and price can easily compete with DeWalt. The only problem I see with Ridgid is the lack of tool variety. We can keep posting here and wasting our time, or Ridgid can step up and give us and the tool buying public what we want, in doing so Ridgid would finally give these other manufacturers serious competition and increase their sales. I would suggest that if they decide to do this the tools should be on display and on the shelves at Home Depot. I would also like to suggest that if Ridgid has no intention of offering more of the tools we request, simply remove this area of the Forum since it does not accomplish anything. Thank you.

Re: Full Tool Line

Why just DeWalt and Ryobi? Why just cordless tools? No one company can be everything to everyone.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Why just DeWalt and Ryobi? Why just cordless tools? No one company can be everything to everyone.
      I agree that one company probably could not offer every single cordless tool out there, but Ryobi for as inexpensive as they are offers a wide array of tools for their one plus line and they are made by the same general manufacturer as Ridgid. I also picked DeWalt because they have several tools such as the 1/2" heavy duty impact which I think rounds off the Ryobi line. Why does Ridgid remain so severly limited in what tools they offer compared to the two I mentioned? Here we are on a Thread that asks the question of what tools you want and yet none are forth coming. If anything when we go to Home Depot fewer of the tools they did offer are shown or in stock. If Ryobi and DeWalt can market all these other cordless tools for their customers why does Ridgid not? I like the Ridgid tools I own, but there are corded tools I would like to own in a cordless style and while I can buy them from Ryobi, DeWalt and others, I cannot buy them from Ridgid and it is frustrating and makes no sense to me.

Comment

Ryobi tools are just plain crap. OK for ocassional homeowner use but not at a professional level. Unless Dewalt has greatly improved over the last couple years, their tools are even worse that Ryobi because they market them to professionals when in reality they are for the most part unreliable, prone to breakage, innacurate and a huge wast of money. Look at what most por's use. Milwaukee, Makita, Porter Cable, Ridgid. There's a reason. They hold up and give good value for the dollar.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Ryobi tools are just plain crap. OK for ocassional homeowner use but not at a professional level. Unless Dewalt has greatly improved over the last couple years, their tools are even worse that Ryobi because they market them to professionals when in reality they are for the most part unreliable, prone to breakage, innacurate and a huge wast of money. Look at what most por's use. Milwaukee, Makita, Porter Cable, Ridgid. There's a reason. They hold up and give good value for the dollar.
          I know a couple of guys who buy ryobi cordless tools and just beat on them like a red-headed step child. They treat them like they are disposable. I, however, am a tool whore like most of us here and consider it a hobby as well as work to be into getting the best. To be perfectly honest though, I think my buddies who do the ryobi thing get the best bang for their buck when it comes to heavy use considering longevity, battery replacement, repairs etc.

They don't repair their tools, they buy a new one. Then they have more batteries. even if they get a new impact driver every 2 years they still have nearly 6 years before they spend as much as someone who got the higher end models when they were first introduced. In 6 years, with no repairs, no decrease in performance and no new batteries, only a somewhat lucky buyer of the other brands will experience the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I will not do the ryobi thing myself, but I have to admit, the tools, though they are not as nice to use, have surprised me with the use others get out of them. They are not THAT bad, and more to the point, the brands that charge a premium are not THAT much better.

This is just in terms of cordless, simple tools mind you. I wouldn't argue the same for CMS or routers, although the ryobi table saw is also pretty effin nice at that price point.

I still enjoy my toys too much to go the cheaper route.

Eli
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
            I know a couple of guys who buy ryobi cordless tools and just beat on them like a red-headed step child. They treat them like they are disposable. I, however, am a tool whore like most of us here and consider it a hobby as well as work to be into getting the best. To be perfectly honest though, I think my buddies who do the ryobi thing get the best bang for their buck when it comes to heavy use considering longevity, battery replacement, repairs etc.

They don't repair their tools, they buy a new one. Then they have more batteries. even if they get a new impact driver every 2 years they still have nearly 6 years before they spend as much as someone who got the higher end models when they were first introduced. In 6 years, with no repairs, no decrease in performance and no new batteries, only a somewhat lucky buyer of the other brands will experience the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I will not do the ryobi thing myself, but I have to admit, the tools, though they are not as nice to use, have surprised me with the use others get out of them. They are not THAT bad, and more to the point, the brands that charge a premium are not THAT much better.

This is just in terms of cordless, simple tools mind you. I wouldn't argue the same for CMS or routers, although the ryobi table saw is also pretty effin nice at that price point.

I still enjoy my toys too much to go the cheaper route.

Eli
            Amen, Brother Wooden, amen.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              There are a couple of cordless tools that Ridgid does not make as yet (but here's hoping they will soon) that are made by Ryobi and I use them on a somewhat regular basis. Ryobi made a cordless 18v miter saw that I use for trim work and light 2x cuts sometimes, makes a cordless grinder when fitted with a diamond blade I use to cut interior stucco/wire mesh walls, bath and kitchen tile either through the tile or down the grout lines, and using a cutoff wheel I cut rebar in foundations, and they make a great rotary saw that I use for drywall cuts at window openings, electrical boxes and the like. I have the lithium batteries for those tools and with the increased Ah they work and last reasonably well. I'm kinda waiting for Ridgid to introduce all or a couple to their Max Select line as tool only offerings and I'll get them there when they do, but until that happens the "un-pro" Ryobi 18 volt stuff has filled in very well. I don't abuse tools and I don't baby them either, but if I buy them I take care of them. Would rather have Ridgid, but until they do, I'll use what works.

Comment

Have any of you seen this? Sent to me by a friend, looks pretty cool.
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree that one company probably could not offer every single cordless tool out there, but Ryobi for as inexpensive as they are offers a wide array of tools for their one plus line and they are made by the same general manufacturer as Ridgid. I also picked DeWalt because they have several tools such as the 1/2" heavy duty impact which I think rounds off the Ryobi line. Why does Ridgid remain so severly limited in what tools they offer compared to the two I mentioned? Here we are on a Thread that asks the question of what tools you want and yet none are forth coming. If anything when we go to Home Depot fewer of the tools they did offer are shown or in stock. If Ryobi and DeWalt can market all these other cordless tools for their customers why does Ridgid not? I like the Ridgid tools I own, but there are corded tools I would like to own in a cordless style and while I can buy them from Ryobi, DeWalt and others, I cannot buy them from Ridgid and it is frustrating and makes no sense to me.

I wrote the above post in April, unfortunately today the same holds true. Where are the tools we want from Ridgid?

Comment

Working...
                  X