X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative power sources

I know this has been done before but an attachment that allows the cordless tools to plug into an outlet or cord for saving time and battery wear would be greatly ulitilized. Theres times when its inconvenient to change batteries or spend the money on another tool that does the same job to reduce down time. Just an option.

Re: alternative power sources

The old $$$ factor is where the problem lies. A really good one with multiple Voltages could be made that would come in handy, but for the $$$ you really should think about some good corded power tools for now.

Comment

I think an alternative power source is a good idea. This could be easily achieved with a modified charger, the charger provides the correct DC voltage in any case. All that needs to be added is a direct cable connection from the charger to the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by blenheim View Post
        I think an alternative power source is a good idea. This could be easily achieved with a modified charger, the charger provides the correct DC voltage in any case. All that needs to be added is a direct cable connection from the charger to the tool.
        There's a big difference between a power supply and a battery charger. To build a unit that would meet the requirements of both would probably price the unit above where it would sell and make a profit. It would certainly costs more than two extra batteries would. And with today's chargers and Li-Ion batteries you really have to be working your cordless tools hard to wear them down that fast.

I supported the idea for a "battery eliminator" in the past, but thinking back on it with the changes in battery technology in the past couple years it might not be worth it.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I had another thought about this. Instead of having a modified charger it would be more practical to offer a modified 'battery pack' as an accessory item. The housing of the unit would be identical to a battery but contain a power supply instead and plug directly into 110V. This could be offered for any cordless tool without modifications to the original unit, so it would not affect the original price point. Also the balance of the tool would not be to badly affected since the power supply including the transformer would have a similar weight as a battery pack.

The reason that I am interested in this topic in the first place is an older 14.4V NiCad Dewalt drill/driver I have kicking around with two nearly dead batteries. I think I will take one of the batteries and install the power supply to revive the tool and check out how it works.
          I hope you are right about the advancements battery technology Bob, I just bought some Makita 18V Lion tools which so far perform brilliantly, I hope the batteries will live up to the claims (i.e. longer charge retention and less memory effect).

Comment

Working...
          X