X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile Saw Extra

In the Northern area we have problems of water freezing, Duh.....

So I think Ridgid needs to be the first one out there with a tile saw, that heats the water. A simple heating element such as dog water dish heater would do the trick.

So really, the concept here is, why has nobody done this? Imagine, how many other people you could bring towards your brand for just putting in a simple heating element.

In the mean time, the guys/gals there at Ridgid can come up with an accessory for this concept that can be added onto the Tile Saw. Its not only about extreme winter time, to be able to run luke warm water while working, can keep our hands nice and warm which in turn will keep us alert. Having cold hands, can be a problem for safety. We need to keep our hands firmly on the work pieces, thus in need of warm hands.

So Josh or who ever job it is, take heed in this concept, its a winner for your saw, that'll sell you more of them, don't waste time on this, go for it.... Mark
    Last edited by garager; 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Tile Saw Extra

Mark, to funny you should bring this up... in APRIL... lol, cold up here isnt it? Global warming my arse!

Anyway, I have been thinking of this for some time, but havent tried it, though I have many a days had icecles damn near touching the ground of the saw. Heck, I even had the blade ice up to 1/4" wide once! Might still have to try it, as 5 gallons of hot water dont last to long when it gets cold out. The problem I see is the element not lasting do to it obviously getting caked with tile "dust" or should I say mud, and burning out. You would have to definately make sure you kept the tray as clean as possible and clean it out from time to time to make sure the element was just sitting in water. Also, it might not have enough power output to keep the water warm. Lastly, the big issue is power. A wet saw will tax most 15ap curcuits quite easily, you toss a heater on it, and most of the time your going to be over the top on the load.

But yes, you not the only one to think of it. Its a great idea, but as far as practacality, I dont know if it will work. But, just to test it out, I have tile jobs solid for the next week or so, and its suppose to be chilly for that time frame, and the saw is going to be out side for all of that time. I'll get a dog dish heater and give it a go just for you!

BTW, did you pick up the Ridgid Tile Saw yet? I want to, but I probably wont be able to for a while still. I gotta sell my Q-Pro model first...

Oh, and a side note, you listen to Jason Lewis ever?

Comment

Well your right about it getting caked up, either clean it or have some sort of alternative heater. If I can keep that water warm, I'll clean it when it needs to be.

And your theory on the power draw, you might be right about that, we'll have to check out the amp draw on those heaters. If I recall right, they are 1 or 2 amps, but I have been wrong before...

Yep, bought my saw yesterday, I have a thread in the Ridgid Review area. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

Your talking about this guy right. I have heard him a few times when I'm down in the Twin Cities, but I'm up North, so as far as I know, we don't get him up here.

http://www.ktlkfm.com/pages/jlewispersonality.html
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thats him! Make sure you sign up for the Tax Cut Coalition!

I really want that saw, but like I said, I am going to have to wait...

Comment

Never used a tile saw with water so excuse my ingorance when I ask, can a little antifreeze be added to the water without damaging the machine or tiles?
          I guess even if it worked there is the problem of keeping the mixture clear of pets and so forth, and disposing of all the mess when you are finished.

Comment

It probably wouldn't want to attach itself into the thinset motor, thus there will be a failure and tiles popping off.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              In the Northern area we have problems of water freezing, Duh.....

So I think Ridgid needs to be the first one out there with a tile saw, that heats the water. A simple heating element such as dog water dish heater would do the trick.

So really, the concept here is, why has nobody done this? Imagine, how many other people you could bring towards your brand for just putting in a simple heating element.

In the mean time, the guys/gals there at Ridgid can come up with an accessory for this concept that can be added onto the Tile Saw. Its not only about extreme winter time, to be able to run luke warm water while working, can keep our hands nice and warm which in turn will keep us alert. Having cold hands, can be a problem for safety. We need to keep our hands firmly on the work pieces, thus in need of warm hands.

So Josh or who ever job it is, take heed in this concept, its a winner for your saw, that'll sell you more of them, don't waste time on this, go for it.... Mark

they've had them forever look here http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Water-Heater this is just One type of water heater for a tile/wetsaw

Comment

Well I'll be damned, see Ridgid you snooze you lose. Thanks for the heads up Arthur06, and by the way, welcome to the Forum....

Comment

one thing with these heaters though be very careful when putting them in plastic pans i usually make some kinda standoff with a coat hanger to keep it from contacting the bottom of the pan.

Comment

Working...
                  X