X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not Lawn care equipment?

In an effort to go green or simply battle the rise in the price of a gal of gas I would have to believe that if there was a quality battery powered set of Lawn care equipment that lawn care companies would be there. Items such a trimmers, edgers, leaf blowers, and hedgers. I thought of it did a little patent research because I couldn't recall seeing anything like this but low and behold Black and Decker beat me to the trimmer. However their stuff is generally crap and just by looking at their design it is all wrong. All of there weight is in the head of the trimmer instead of behind the handle which when designed properly, such as a Stihl or an Echo, the head should float to avoid scalping. They call it a trimmer edger but they don’t have what I would consider a true edger such as, again Stihl and Echo, which uses a metal blade which acts as a guide leaving you with a much cleaner and straighter cut line. And also Ryobi has a trimmer, hedger and blower but again lower quality and not quite the right design. Plus they are still using the old Nicad batteries and the rigid 24v XLi batteries would be way better. Not to mention I have never seen any of these things except on the internet. I believe that if you could produce a quality, commercial level line of equipment and got it into Lawn equipment stores. It would sell especially if it was close to comparable to the Stihl or the Echo. Again because of the rising cost of fuel which seems to be the number one killer of lawn and landscape companies. You would not only save them a ton in gas but 2 stroke oil as well, and you would be able to sell a lot of batteries and chargers. To me it just makes sense; let me know if anyone agrees.

Re: why not Lawn care equipment?

I agree that this is a area that is still open to expansion. I have been wrestling with extension cords for many years when using my hedge trimmer until last year when I picked up an 18volt cordless model. What a pleasure to use, light, reasonably powerful, I look forward to using it! Weedwacker for sure cordless, backpack blower I don't think so. I have seen some good suggestions on this Thread and I have suggested a 1/2inch heavy duty impact gun which I think would do well. I don't think the folks at Ridgid read here unless they have looked at these things and know they won't sell.

Comment

Ya, why not. Thats a good marketing area to be in.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Geor3260 View Post
        In an effort to go green or simply battle the rise in the price of a gal of gas I would have to believe that if there was a quality battery powered set of Lawn care equipment that lawn care companies would be there. Items such a trimmers, edgers, leaf blowers, and hedgers. I thought of it did a little patent research because I couldn't recall seeing anything like this but low and behold Black and Decker beat me to the trimmer. However their stuff is generally crap and just by looking at their design it is all wrong. All of there weight is in the head of the trimmer instead of behind the handle which when designed properly, such as a Stihl or an Echo, the head should float to avoid scalping. They call it a trimmer edger but they don’t have what I would consider a true edger such as, again Stihl and Echo, which uses a metal blade which acts as a guide leaving you with a much cleaner and straighter cut line. And also Ryobi has a trimmer, hedger and blower but again lower quality and not quite the right design. Plus they are still using the old Nicad batteries and the rigid 24v XLi batteries would be way better. Not to mention I have never seen any of these things except on the internet. I believe that if you could produce a quality, commercial level line of equipment and got it into Lawn equipment stores. It would sell especially if it was close to comparable to the Stihl or the Echo. Again because of the rising cost of fuel which seems to be the number one killer of lawn and landscape companies. You would not only save them a ton in gas but 2 stroke oil as well, and you would be able to sell a lot of batteries and chargers. To me it just makes sense; let me know if anyone agrees.
        I would consider it. I have an electric hedge trimmer, and end up using a 100 foot extension cord. I don't have any bushes that I trim past that, so haven't needed a cordless.

I have a gas string trimmer and mower. Those need lots of mobility, and to run for a while. I would imagine that the weedwhacker uses more oomph (and it runs continously) than something like a circ saw, so I would be wary of its ability to last the 15-20 minutes it takes to do around my house, rocks, etc. in the yard.

I don't yet have a blower, but the only ones I am considering are the gas powered back packs. I just don't think that a handheld one will be worth it as far as ergonomics and performance.

Comment

Ryobi made a rechargeable trimmer years ago but it didn't use their 18V batteries as used in the power tool line.

If RIDGID or someone else were to make one maybe they could have an option to plug in more than one battery at a time so you could get longer run times (parallel, 2x24V) or more power (series hookup, 24+24=48v). With the lighter weight of Li-Ion batteries the overall tool weight might not be too bad.

A few years ago Ryobi had a little (8" maybe?) miter saw which was powered by a single 18V Ni-Cad. It didn't have much power from what I heard and drained the battery fast. If they had built that saw to use two batteries at once it might have gone places.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Ryobi made a rechargeable trimmer years ago but it didn't use their 18V batteries as used in the power tool line.

If RIDGID or someone else were to make one maybe they could have an option to plug in more than one battery at a time so you could get longer run times (parallel, 2x24V) or more power (series hookup, 24+24=48v). With the lighter weight of Li-Ion batteries the overall tool weight might not be too bad.

A few years ago Ryobi had a little (8" maybe?) miter saw which was powered by a single 18V Ni-Cad. It didn't have much power from what I heard and drained the battery fast. If they had built that saw to use two batteries at once it might have gone places.
            Bob you made some good observations.I can tell you that Ryobi 18 volt tools run stronger and longer on their 18volt Lithium batteries. That little mitre saw you mentioned would do much better if it was still sold today with the better batteries. Your idea of two batteries for more voltage or longer run times is great. Hope someone listens.

Comment

I think with either a good 24, 28 or 36 Volt Li-Ion battery that a small hedge trimmer would work out very well. As for weed trimmers, chain saws, blowers, lawn mowers and such, the little 2 stroke cycle engines put out many times the power of even the largest and most powerful (current) cordless tool motors. As such even a 10 pounder super Li-Ion battery would get run down pretty fast. A smallish (14-18 inch) hedge trimmer doesn't need all that much power and this would work nice. A light duty weed trimmer might work but it sure would be no match for a good engine powered one.

I think if we will see many new cordless outdoor power tools it will be from Makita as they are more into corded and serious engine powered (made under contracts) outdoor power tools for now than the others seem to be.
              Last edited by Woussko; 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I have a 22" hedge trimmer by WeedEater, 18volt battery and a run time so long I feel like quiting before the battery does! I agree that the chainsaws and blowers need a lot of power, can't see a battery doing those jobs at least not at the present time.

Comment

Working...
                X