X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plans for a rotary hammer?

Are there any plans in the works for a Ridgid rotary or demo hammer? I am in the market for a heavy duty unit like the Milwaukee 15A 19.9Ft/lbs rotary unit, but I don't want to buy something now if Ridgid is about to put something out soon!

thx

Re: Any plans for a rotary hammer?

Milwaukee has a rotary hammer in their V28 and V18 line. Also a right angle drill in the V28 plus a grinder as well. I don't know if you're looking cordless or corded, but something to check out. Might be worth picking up a V28 set if you can fill in some blanks in your tool collection. I know that I had to do a mix of Milwaukee and Ridgid tools - V28 and MaxSelect. You just can't get everything you want from one manufacturer it seems......
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I tend to favour Ridgid for cordless tools, but I generally prefer the power and quality of milwaukee corded tools. I don't think a cordless rotary hammer would last very long or provide enough imapct energy for my liking.

I am still not very sure about Dewalt tools as Ridgid's warranty and power blows them out of the water as far as cordless goes, but I did buy their Tile Saw which seems to be superior to Ridgid's unfortunately, and their smaller 10" portable table saw, the Ridgid saws are nice, but way overkill for my needs.

Comment

If you're in the market for a rotary hammer, buy a Hilti, it will be the only one you buy for twenty five or so years.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
          If you're in the market for a rotary hammer, buy a Hilti, it will be the only one you buy for twenty five or so years.
          I would agree, although for the price, you better be using it hard and daily.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            I would agree, although for the price, you better be using it hard and daily.
            The price also includes Hilti's service, which is exceptional, and it pretty much guarantee's that when the time comes to replace the tool, you only pay one third of the cost to replace it. You are buying a tool never really goes out of warranty.

Comment

I agree again. Hilti is definitely a pro-grade tool for guys that lose money when the tool ain't working. For a casual user like myself, if I had need of a rotary hammer I'd just buy the Milwaukee V28 version since I already have the batteries........

Comment

Milwaukee has a rotary hammer in their V28 and V18 line. Also a right angle drill in the V28 plus a grinder as well. I don't know if you're looking cordless or corded, but something to check out. Might be worth picking up a V28 set if you can fill in some blanks in your tool collection. I know that I had to do a mix of Milwaukee and Ridgid tools - V28 and MaxSelect. You just can't get everything you want from one manufacturer it seems......
                24 volt XLi rotary hammer and grinder would be a good addition to the Ridgid line of tools. I'd have cause to use those on occaision where right now, I reach for the corderd versions. Had looked at the DeWalt rotary hammer 18v version, but price not right and would require another battery system that I'm not presently thinking of making.
                Last edited by Spinalzo; 07-20-2008, 12:59 PM. Reason: Added thought

Comment

I don't have a clue of how a manufacturer such as Ridgid decides about introducing another cordless tool to their line but as a consumer I would sure like to see more. Myself and others have been requesting useful tools that others such as DeWalt, Milwaukee and even Ryobi already sell. How about a 1/2 inch heavy duty 18volt impact, grinder or any of the other good tools? What made them decide on a caulking gun? Fine tool for those who need it but what about the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I don't have a clue of how a manufacturer such as Ridgid decides about introducing another cordless tool to their line but as a consumer I would sure like to see more. Myself and others have been requesting useful tools that others such as DeWalt, Milwaukee and even Ryobi already sell. How about a 1/2 inch heavy duty 18volt impact, grinder or any of the other good tools? What made them decide on a caulking gun? Fine tool for those who need it but what about the rest of us?

Franki.......don't knock the caulk(Ha!) until you use it. I've gone through 60 tubes or more of silicone since I got the caulking gun last fall and my fingers/arm say thanks...

Comment

Franki.......don't knock the caulk(Ha!) until you use it. I've gone through 60 tubes or more of silicone since I got the caulking gun last fall and my fingers/arm say thanks...
                      I'm not knocking the caulking gun at all, for the people who need such a tool it is a time and body saver. I am more concerned about the tools that can replace commonly used corded tools that myself and others use. The 1/2 inch heavy duty impact gun is used by homeowners, auto mechanics and those in the construction trades. DeWalt and Milwaukee have this tool and other useful tools in their line but Ridgid remains very limited in my opinion. The five piece 18volt Ridgid set I own is great and for those like you who find the caulking gun useful fine, I'm glad they make it but I want to see those other tools also. Maybe they were filling a void with the caulking gun but they lost a competitive edge by not including some of the other tools their competitors offer. That's the point I am trying to make. I'm pretty sure this is not a question of patent problems which was the case with the Jobsite Radio. I already invested in the Ridgid line, so why force me to buy DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some other brand in order to get a few more tools I would find as useful and you have found the caulking gun to be? I don't have the money to buy another brand right now so I will keep dragging out the extension cords, but I sure would like to know why Ridgid refuses to offer more 18volt tools. Heck they broke down and came out with the 3.0AH lithium battery, so how about some more tools to use it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I'm not knocking the caulking gun at all, for the people who need such a tool it is a time and body saver. I am more concerned about the tools that can replace commonly used corded tools that myself and others use. The 1/2 inch heavy duty impact gun is used by homeowners, auto mechanics and those in the construction trades. DeWalt and Milwaukee have this tool and other useful tools in their line but Ridgid remains very limited in my opinion. The five piece 18volt Ridgid set I own is great and for those like you who find the caulking gun useful fine, I'm glad they make it but I want to see those other tools also. Maybe they were filling a void with the caulking gun but they lost a competitive edge by not including some of the other tools their competitors offer. That's the point I am trying to make. I'm pretty sure this is not a question of patent problems which was the case with the Jobsite Radio. I already invested in the Ridgid line, so why force me to buy DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some other brand in order to get a few more tools I would find as useful and you have found the caulking gun to be? I don't have the money to buy another brand right now so I will keep dragging out the extension cords, but I sure would like to know why Ridgid refuses to offer more 18volt tools. Heck they broke down and came out with the 3.0AH lithium battery, so how about some more tools to use it in?
                        I agree wholeheartedly, Franki, but it seems like we're never gonna get all that we want with one tool line. I started out with the Milwaukee V28 kit, and managed to pick up a bunch of MaxSelect stuff last fall when they were blowing them out at HD for $40. Then I grabbed some batteries and I was good to go. Jigsaw, planer, and caulking gun have all served me well on a recent project. I even kept the Ridgid compact lithium drill that I bought in order to get some batteries.

Some stuff, though, I prefer in my Milwaukee V28 line like the impact driver and the cordless shop vac which is phenomenal. I also opted for the Milwaukee radio rather than Ridgid's.

Bottom line, you gotta mix and match if you wanna get a full line of tools. But that's just my opinion.....

Comment

One thing to consider is that most tradesman's I've seen use dewalt 18v series. This has pulled me and others out of a bind more than once since we can pull a battery from someone nearby. That volunteer project I was working at is such an example. I forgot to bring my charger but 2 other guys there had dewalt also so we never run out of power. If I was running festo or some other obscure brand, I would be s.o.l. if my batteries went dead.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hey Tinmack, just an FYI, Windex will take silicone caulk right off your hands no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                              Hey Tinmack, just an FYI, Windex will take silicone caulk right off your hands no problem.
                              Does it work the same for Lexel? I ususally use paint thinner, but Windex would be less nasty I suppose........

Comment

Working...
                              X