X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Light Variety

During a recent trip to Home Depot I saw that Ryobi is selling a 18volt 1 million candle power flashlight which they say will run 70 minutes per charge, $20.00. There are other cordless tool manufacturers that offer LED Tool lights and they provide good light and extremely long run times. I would like to see Ridgid break away from the same old boring 18volt bulb which is sort of expensive and offer some variety in their work lights. I like my Ridgid 18 volt tools and charger, but I want some greater variety and this seems like a simple enough task.

Re: Tool Light Variety

Yes I have a Ryobi 18 Volt flash light, 115mm angle grinder, jig saw and circular saw, which all work off the same 18 Volt battery system with one charger.

Tony

Comment

Milwaukee 18v LED with a little pocket LED light i think home Husky brand. But if I am going to need light for more than 5 minute i use a drop light!

Comment

I'd like to propose a LED flashlight module that goes into your cordless tool (drills mostly) in place of the battery, THEN the battery goes into IT and feeds through.

So you have a drill with a flashlight that shines where you are drilling. And, you have the option of using it separately or on the drill or other tool. It would proabably be best with an adjustable head.

Comment

Originally posted by TDX View Post
          I'd like to propose a LED flashlight module that goes into your cordless tool (drills mostly) in place of the battery, THEN the battery goes into IT and feeds through.

So you have a drill with a flashlight that shines where you are drilling. And, you have the option of using it separately or on the drill or other tool. It would proabably be best with an adjustable head.
          Nice idea! I can picture it on the reciprocating saw as well. Don't think it would be a very diffiucult thing to desing and manufacture. LED lights are amazing, rugged, bright and last a very long time. I carry a small flashlight called the Olight T-20, it's about the size of a AA MiniMag but has five levels of light and is brighter than my big Maglites. The technology is here for LED's to replace all prior lighting used for portables. Once again great idea.

Comment

Everyone

Please see this video of a nice cordless drill with LED light built in. If they can do it so can other power tool companies. Please note the cool charger that can charge many types of their batteries. Think of this same idea of LEDs but a group of them near the blade clamp for the reciprocating saw. Now that sure would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmDhLKfDno
            Last edited by Woussko; 08-14-2008, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Not cheap by any means but here is quite a BLASTER work light if you really need one. Yes, This is me being crazy but then maybe someone on here would really need this.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=128

Comment

anyone have experience with those surefires? Just want to know how they can justify that price $200 up for a flashlight!?

Comment

W S

Give "Bright Guy" a call when you have time. 1-888-881-1908. They sell many makes and models of flashlights.
                  SureFire is one of the brands they list. They should be able to tell you more about them. http://www.brightguy.com

The regular Streamlight LiteBox has been around for years and is a workhorse. Today BrightStar has their version with Li-Ion batteries that's making Streamlight rethinking the LiteBox

Big bad one - http://www.flashlight.com/pdf/07800.pdf
                  Compact lighter weight version - http://www.flashlight.com/pdf/07810.pdf
                  Last edited by Woussko; 08-14-2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    anyone have experience with those surefires? Just want to know how they can justify that price $200 up for a flashlight!?
                    If you really want to learn about flashlights check out the Candlepower forum. There are "EDC" every day carry, flashlights made of anodized aluminum, titanium, state of the art LED modules and all sorts of exotic lithium ion batteries. Unless you have seen and used one of these flashlights you can't imagine the high quality of construction and utility. Just like our cordless tools these flashlights cover a wide spectrum of quality and performance.

Comment

I do agree with you with regards to spectrums of quality, butthey have similiar flashlights for 1/4 of the price, led, same kind of construction similiar weight, i mean would you pay $200 for a screwdriver?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        I do agree with you with regards to spectrums of quality, butthey have similiar flashlights for 1/4 of the price, led, same kind of construction similiar weight, i mean would you pay $200 for a screwdriver?
                        I have spent two or three times as much for SnapOn sockets that other brands because they are that much better in my opinion. Let me try and explain why SureFire and StreamLight for example cost so much more even though the materials are very similar if not the same as much less expensive competitors. These two brands are advertised as the best, the most reliable and they are used by law enforcement, firemen and other emergency techs. When your life is on the line as may be the case with these people, you want the most reliable switch on your flashlight. You really want the best that money can buy. Imagine if your very life depended on your cordless drill working every time you needed it? Would you go cheap and buy one made basically with very similar materials, or spend much more for the best build quality you could afford? I agree that for most of us the less expensive flashlights would do quite well. My Olight T-20 cost under $60.00, less than half of some of the competition but it is still rock solid and dependable enough for my needs. You could spend $10.00 on a small LED flashlight but if you compared the two you would immediately know why one cost so much more. My light will never burn out, can be dropped and not break, is machined so it will not roll on a slanted surface, is waterproof. Like anything else, the more you learn, the more you understand and accept. My AA MiniMag was a decent flashlight until I upgraded it with a $25.00 LED module by TerraLux and a push button endcap switch. Now it works like it's on steroids! the brightness is several times stronger and it stays bright without dimming for hours. Plus, I'll never have to change a bulb again. No, you don't have to spend $200.00, but if you are willing to spend $50 or so you would be amazed.

Comment

My old saying "Quality only costs more until you use it. Then it costs far less over time." Actually the reason some flashlights cost so much is more than just reliability. Fire fighters and industrial service people in many cases need a flashlight that's gas tight and also spark proof. It it wasn't and they turned it on KABOOM big time.

People ask me why the BrightStar yellow & black industrial flashlight costs less than 1/2 of what (to them) is the same one but in orange. Then I show them all the safety tests the orange one had to pass. Take them both apart and you can see there is a difference. They are very simple lights next to the special rechargeable true professionals need in many cases. You are paying for countless hours of R & D along with testing, testing and more testing of the product.

When it comes to super sockets, look at the 12 point opening. It is NOT 12 points at all. Then look at a magnified photo showing how it pushes on the flats and not the corners of a bolt head or hex nut. Then you will understand what CAD design and engineering can do for a simple hand tool and why pros gladly pay more for them.

As for a $200 screwdriver, I'll pass, but I do have some very fine German ones and using them, makes me throw out the others which many people think are as good as they come.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X