Reference List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference List

I've read what I believe are some good ideas for tools on this thread. I've made some suggestions myself for tools that I thought would have broad appeal, tools that I myself will be buying but not from Ridgid. I think that Ridgid could review these ideas and respond in a separate section with and answer and a rating of whether or not such a tool would be considered for production. Right now the serious DIY'r or Professional who needs a cordless cutoff tool or heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench or any of the other cordless tools Ridgid does not make will just buy from the other manufactureres who do make such tools. My idea would give the folks who are not in a hurry for these tools a heads up as to what Ridgid is considering for the future. I know Ridgid wants to keep everything secret and that's great, but while they are other manufacturers are selling tools. Isn't that what these folks are in business to do? Well, just thought it would be nice to get an answer and have a place to actually see what has been already suggested and rejected, would save a lot of wasted time and frustration on our end. Good luck with that "auto shift drill" never heard anyone ask for it but I guess the experts know what the people ( whoever they are) want.

Re: Reference List

"Good luck with that "auto shift drill" never heard anyone ask for it but I guess the experts know what the people ( whoever they are) want."

I'm trying to figure out where the demand for this tool came from too.

Maybe you could turn your suggestion around and get some of what you want w/o RIDGID giving up their marketing plans for the near future.

The reason they keep this stuff secretive (my opinion) is because they don't want anyone to come along and usurp their product launch. The initial launch of a tool or product, when you're the only one out there with the goods, is a time to recoup some of your R&D costs. You're alone on the playing field (no one else has a similar product) so you can name your price. Once someone else gets their products out there you may have to drop your price to keep your market share.

Anyway, if you were interested in seeing a new tool brought out like the 1/2" impact that you keep asking for then create a thread describing what you would like to see in this new tool, AND include a poll question whereby people could vote if they would buy or have a use for this tool.
    Something along the line of:

[ ] Yes, I would buy a super-duper-gizmo-thingy if you made it.
    [ ] No, I don't see the need for such a tool or would personally have no use for it.
    [ ] I already have a similar tool from another manufacturer but would changer if your tool offered the features listed here
    [ ] I already have a similar tool from someone else and would not change.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

[quote=Bob D.;170517]"Good luck with that "auto shift drill" never heard anyone ask for it but I guess the experts know what the people ( whoever they are) want."

quote]

There was no demand, just an existing tool they could slap a gimmick on and call it a "new tool". Anybody using a drill regularly would have a compact 12 or 18 volt driver for light stuff and a heavier drill for the heavy stuff. Should be called the "auto sh!t drill".

Ridgid should have expanded the 24 Volt line/made all their tools MaxSelect compatible with either 18 or 24 volt. Instead, they actively discounted/phased out the 24 volt tools, pissing off those that paid heavy for them and alienating new/old customers in the process.

Anybody who wants a bigger tool selection has already gone to DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Ridgid was good for some MaxSelect offerings that Milwaukee didn't make, like the caulking gun, jigsaw, and planer. Go to the Milwaukee website - that heavy duty impact wrench and cut off tool/angle grinder you're asking Ridgid for(and not getting) is there in the V28 line up.

Ridgid just seems to be a disappointment right now on the cordless end.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

[QUOTE=tinmack;170530]
        Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        "Good luck with that "auto shift drill" never heard anyone ask for it but I guess the experts know what the people ( whoever they are) want."

quote]

There was no demand, just an existing tool they could slap a gimmick on and call it a "new tool". Anybody using a drill regularly would have a compact 12 or 18 volt driver for light stuff and a heavier drill for the heavy stuff. Should be called the "auto sh!t drill".

Ridgid should have expanded the 24 Volt line/made all their tools MaxSelect compatible with either 18 or 24 volt. Instead, they actively discounted/phased out the 24 volt tools, pissing off those that paid heavy for them and alienating new/old customers in the process.

Anybody who wants a bigger tool selection has already gone to DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Ridgid was good for some MaxSelect offerings that Milwaukee didn't make, like the caulking gun, jigsaw, and planer. Go to the Milwaukee website - that heavy duty impact wrench and cut off tool/angle grinder you're asking Ridgid for(and not getting) is there in the V28 line up.

Ridgid just seems to be a disappointment right now on the cordless end.
        Sure would like to know why other manufacturers are making cordless tools peopel want and buy while Ridgid makes a gimick tool? I can get that cordless heavy duty impact wrench from several manufacturers, which tells me it is a tool that sells, completes their line up, so why doesn't Ridgid make one? They just don't want the sales? It's like Ridgid was told by the factory "Sorry we are busy making tools for everyone else"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          It's like Ridgid was told by the factory "Sorry we are busy making tools for everyone else"
          Since everything seems to be made by the same factory now, maybe that really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Since everything seems to be made by the same factory now, maybe that really happened.
            If that's the case I feel sorry for Ridgid. They have the same platform as these other manufacturers and could be selling all sorts of cordless tools but instead they have a very limited offering. Imagine Ridgid as an Icecream store on a block with four other Icecream stores, now the other stores all sell the same twenty or so flavors, but Ridgid? Just two! Customers have suggested they expand their flavors, but no just two! Time passes and the die hard Ridgid customers hear a new flavor is comming. Will it be strawberry, coffee, maple walnut, pistachio? No, it's french vanilla! We yell "Wait, you already make a vanilla". No one replies...

Comment

Interesting thread. I think the autoshift is a neat idea for those applications where you need to go fast early on but ideally would change speed and torque as you get farther in the workpiece. Think drilling holes or driving lags. Market research revealed a need. That said, ultimately you all will decide if it is a winner or not.

As for the releasing of information, Bob D. is correct for the most part. Truly new technology can get an earlier window for unveiling. Take the SeeSnake micro inspection tool. We were showing that thing at shows, to media, and in the field long before it hit shelves. We even had sneak peak on the forum that was fun and got a good response. You can do that when you want to create awareness and drum up excitement.

To Bob's point, when it is an existing tool (such as the impact wrench discussed here,) even though I'd hope we greatly enhance what is on the market today, there is a possibility of substitution. What generally happens if competitors get wind of a product is they run a special on their unit to try to take some wind out of the sails of the new product launch. Everyone's been burned there a few times.

In terms of the products mentioned, they are certainly on the product development list. That is where prioritization comes into play (not factories turning down production.) Through market research you try to determine which products will make the biggest impact and focus resources there.

Believe me, given all of the variables, I like telling what is coming so soon as I can. That said, if you need a particular tool, you should make the decision based on your timeframe and buy appropriately for two reasons. One, the company may not come out with the tool when you need it. Two, when it does come out, it may not have all the features for which you'd hoped. Obviously, the latter is not the goal for RIDGID, but as an example I've heard a few times people would have liked a charger on the radio.

We'll keep expanding the line. Your requests certainly don't go unread. I think the cordless line is getting some good additions here shortly. Hopefully, you'll agree.

Comment

ProBrand, thanks for the response. I don't expect Ridgid to release cordless tools that outperform the rest, but it would be nice to have similar choices. We have the batteries and chargers, we want the tools. Please offer the same tools so we don't have to go out and buy other brands. Offer the same tools so perspective customers, first time buyers can appreciate not only the fine quality and warrantee of the Ridgid line, but the comparable selection as well. I know Ridgid deserves their fair share of the market and when they make the tools others do I will be there to buy them. I may be a shriveled up old man but I'll be there.

Comment

Working...
                X