Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft Protection of Tools

A tool idea.

Some way to theft protect the more expensive tools. The ProPresses, Seesnakes etc. You'll have to think out the details to make it promotable & profitable.

GPS location? Sounds crazy to me too but just thinking.

Or internal coding of some sort that renders the tool unable to function unless the code is put in. If it was stolen and someone would try to have it reset the service center could tell by the Serial Number and return it to the rightful owner.

J.C.

Re: Theft Protection of Tools

Passive RFID Tags implanted in the tool.

Tiny, no batteries, no moving parts.

If you are on a big job and supplying the tools you can monitor the jobsite and know where your tools are and if they are trying to take a walk out the gate.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

good ideas but i will use rosie [ my Bloodhound ] to get my tools back .we did it on a job site where i left my van door open and we had some one go into the truck and take something out . i took rosie to the truck put here harness on put here up in the van and gave here the command word to start .we took off and went across a parking lot to a car that was locked ,then we went into the job site up 3 set of stairs down the hall to a room where some one was working .she went into the room and jumped on the person and they said whats going on .we went to the locked car and there were my tools

now this may not always work but it does for me

a tracking chip in the tool would be a good idea
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        good ideas but i will use rosie [ my Bloodhound ] to get my tools back .we did it on a job site where i left my van door open and we had some one go into the truck and take something out . i took rosie to the truck put here harness on put here up in the van and gave here the command word to start .we took off and went across a parking lot to a car that was locked ,then we went into the job site up 3 set of stairs down the hall to a room where some one was working .she went into the room and jumped on the person and they said whats going on .we went to the locked car and there were my tools

now this may not always work but it does for me

a tracking chip in the tool would be a good idea
        One of the best stories I've read here. What did you do with the thief?

J.C.

Comment

Many years ago before I started my own shop I had parked the company truck in the yard and took my bucket of tools off the truck. I went inside to turn in my paperwork and when I came back out to the yard my tools were gone . I found the bar-fly of our shop next door at the local bar and told him I was offering $200 for the return of my tools. By the time I drove home there was a message he had found the guy and retrieve the tools. I drove back to the bar and got my tools and the guy asked for the $200. I told him I wanted to thank the thief personally for coming to his sense and gave him my phone number to give the guy so he could claim his reward. Funny but no one ever called for the reward and I never left my tools unattended again.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i had a co worker use some one i did not know to do this because he said it could not be done
            well we did it and i had a very nice lunch on him

they have know idea what i use rosie for until now ,we volunteer look for missing people and do some work for the police looking for the bad people
            Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              One of the best stories I've read here. What did you do with the thief?

J.C.
              I bet he was scared straight Charlie is no little guy either
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Passive RFID Tags implanted in the tool.

Tiny, no batteries, no moving parts.

If you are on a big job and supplying the tools you can monitor the jobsite and know where your tools are and if they are trying to take a walk out the gate.
                Yup, I second that , its AMAZING what they have today like Pixel dust

Comment

if i'm not mistaking, hilti does have an anti theft device in their newer hi priced tools.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I simply paint all my Ridgid tools bright orange!
                    I can identify them easily from say Dewalt or Craftsman tools; and if I'm not using them
                    they should be where I put them.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      if i'm not mistaking, hilti does have an anti theft device in their newer hi priced tools.

rick.

hilti dewalt bobcat all have electronic theft protection system's

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                        I simply paint all my Ridgid tools bright orange!
                        I can identify them easily from say Dewalt or Craftsman tools; and if I'm not using them
                        they should be where I put them.

Cactus Man
                        i do the same i paint 2 different colors all over the tool so i can see if it mine from a distance
                        and i also have all my tools engraved with my name and a id #

i try to engrave the tools in a spot so i can remember where it is so if some one tries to scratch it out i will see it and the paint i make sure it gets into small cracks so its hard to get it out

it is a shame that we have to do things like this and i hope i dont catch some one doing it
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

I've had tools stolen from me by many other trades that have been on our jobs, and even from other members of our own crew (pretty friggin low). I also engrave EVERYTHING I own (power and hand tools). I like to do it in hidden spots. Many times I've seen other people using my tools and insist that they are their's. It's funny some of the excuses you get when you show them your name engraved in a hidden spot. Best to do it in front of all other carpenters on the job so they know who can't be trusted.
                          You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Some of the places I have worked you wouldn't want to take the tools home,
                            even if you could get away with it, as they are contaminated and glow in the dark.

For the same reason you can't bring your own tools in, the
                            company supplies all glow-in-the-dark tools.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I never leave any tools on jobs

My truck has limo tint on the sides so you can't see in the cab

There's locks on my truck cap including the french doors in back

I have two night vision cameras pointing at the truck 24/7

All garage doors on outside have no locking assemblies/handles on the outside; remote control open only.

All exterior doors are no-window or high window, deadbolts with screws that go 4" deep into double studs. Steel doors at that.

My place is so messed up/disorganized that they wouldn't even know where to start, would give up or fall down and sue me for the clutter.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X