X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New line of RIDGID Wet/Dry vacs

I was in HD today and saw the new line of RIDGID Wet/Dry vacs.
    I noticed not one of them has a feature to automatically start/stop with a power tool like a sander or router or whatever tool you might want to collect sawdust and chips from. PC has a vac like this, so does Fien and Festool and probably others, WHY NOT RIDGID???

I noticed that many now have 20 foot cords, that's great.

I say upgrade the cord to 12 gauge so it can handle a powertool and the vac; and add a single outlet on the tool along with a 3 position switch to turn auto-start On|Off|Delayed Off.
    • On would start/stop the vac with the tool
    • Off would still power the tool but starting and stopping the vac would be manual.
    • Make the Delayed Off position time about 5 seconds TDDO (time delay drop out) before shutting the vac down. This will give it a chance to clear the hose of chips.
    I think adding this option would be a big selling feature on top of the already great line of Emerson W/D Vacs.

Here's the new "Smart Cart" W/D vac for those who have not seen it yet.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-23-2008, 08:32 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: New line of RIDGID Wet/Dry vacs

+1 Excellent suggestions Bob.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Just what will these vacs suck up in the way a dirty water would it suck up dirty water from a rain water sump pit so as to get the left over water out of the sump that a sump pump carn`t clear and then manually clear the dirt by hand.

Tony

Comment

I would not be a service plumber without a wet/dry vac. I can vacuum the urine out of a backed up urinal before I work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
          I would not be a service plumber without a wet/dry vac. I can vacuum the urine out of a backed up urinal before I work on it.
          Who gets to decon the vac?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Nice Machine. It has sooooooo many uses! Not just Urinals
            I use mine for vacuuming the DOGS before they come in the house at night. No, not every night - but when they are in their shedding cycle - I do. It took me a few times to train them to it - but now they stand in line for thier "brush and suck." Couldn't live without my Shop Vac!
            Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
            I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
            My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Luci

Please see this video of MONTY a very laid back husky getting vacuum cleaned.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aTGMP2ukk

To me it looks like an older Kirby Blast Master vacuum cleaner. They are LOUD.

Comment

I just wish I could find the filters I need for the vacs I already have. Seems like they get changed so often nobody every has the filter I need.

Comment

that is one laid back dog!
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Sawdust is starting to be a problem in my garage workshop now, and I was looking at getting a wet/dry vacuum for clean up, and hopefully prevent my tools from spewing it everywhere if possible. How big and/or powerful of a vacuum would I need for my small workshop? The only other task I'd like it to make sure it is capable of is 15% water change for my 55 gal. aquarium.

Comment

Originally posted by wathman View Post
                      Sawdust is starting to be a problem in my garage workshop now, and I was looking at getting a wet/dry vacuum for clean up, and hopefully prevent my tools from spewing it everywhere if possible. How big and/or powerful of a vacuum would I need for my small workshop? The only other task I'd like it to make sure it is capable of is 15% water change for my 55 gal. aquarium.
                      For the aquarium just use a couple 5 Gal buckets and a siphon hose.

For a w/d vac in the shop, a separator placed before the intake will catch a significant portion of chips and larger dust particles.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I was in HD today and saw the new line of RIDGID Wet/Dry vacs.
                        I noticed not one of them has a feature to automatically start/stop with a power tool like a sander or router or whatever tool you might want to collect sawdust and chips from. PC has a vac like this, so does Fien and Festool and probably others, WHY NOT RIDGID???

I noticed that many now have 20 foot cords, that's great.

I say upgrade the cord to 12 gauge so it can handle a powertool and the vac; and add a single outlet on the tool along with a 3 position switch to turn auto-start On|Off|Delayed Off.
                        • On would start/stop the vac with the tool
                        • Off would still power the tool but starting and stopping the vac would be manual.
                        • Make the Delayed Off position time about 5 seconds TDDO (time delay drop out) before shutting the vac down. This will give it a chance to clear the hose of chips.
                        I think adding this option would be a big selling feature on top of the already great line of Emerson W/D Vacs.

Here's the new "Smart Cart" W/D vac for those who have not seen it yet.
                        Bob D. That is a great idea, but compare the prices of those vacs you mentioned to the Ridgid Vacs. Those vacs are very expensive. Secondly, household vacs are rated at 12 amps maximum. That tends to limit using larger tools with the vacuum. You will not find a UL approved household vacuum that is rated over 12 amps. Shop-Vac does have a model with an outlet on it. But let's say if you use a tool that draws 5 amps, then the vacuum is limited to only 7 amps thus reducing it's power.

Comment

I could not live w/o my shopvac! Not only are they good for sucking urinals, dog hair, and workshop dirt and dust, but they are also great for sucking the pee out of your new carpet when your kid decides that it would be fun to take off her diaper.

It comes in handy for vacuuming the car too!

Comment

And here I thought they were only good for cleaning out grain drills, and planters), and tires when one is fixing them,

and it apears that sears sells such a switch you speak of, called "Craftsman Auto Switch"

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                            X