X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Jaw Quick Change Drill Chuck

I have offend wondered why no power tool company has come out with a drill chuck that has a hexed opening in it rather than round and still has the 3 jaws inside. It would work just like all the quick change accessories on the market that have to be chucked up anyway.
    Build the same technology into a keyless chuck. It would reduce the extra length sticking out of the chuck. The quick change accessorie has to chuck up anyway. All companys have 1/4'' impacts with a quick change on them. Why not have a 3 jaw chuck on it with quick change technology inside and still be able to lock the chuck jaws around a standard round bit if needed ? It would eliminate the need for 2 different drills in alot of case's .
    Craftsman has a quick change accessories for 7/16 hex bits. Why not manurfacture 1/2'' hex bits and build the quick change technology into a 1/2 '' chuck and still be able to lock up to a 1/2 round bit in it.
    I saw a add in ( This Old House Magazine ) Jan/Feb 2009 for a Metabo PowerGrip 2 that has a similar concept. The only difference with my idea is the quick change on there tool has to be removed then install the 3 jaw chuck. Thats when I thougt to myself great concept but wrong approach. The quick change on the Metabo has to be threaded off the drill spindle then thread on the 3 jaw chuck. To much work involved for me and I would probably misplace one of the chucks anyway .
    Any thoughts.
    Can anyone tell me how to spell check on here. When I try it tells me to down load ieSpell for internet explorer. I worry about getting a virus. I'm not very good on computers

Re: 3 Jaw Quick Change Drill Chuck

there is an adaptor chuck for screw guns that slips in to the hex holder of the gun.
    the problem with screw guns is most I have used there needs pressure to turn the the diver. unlike a drill.

Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Skil makes this and it sells for about 9 bucks....

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        Skil makes this and it sells for about 9 bucks....
        I have seen the chucks you sent before and figured it would still add additional weight and lenght to the tool . Why can't the manurfactures build the quick change into a keyless chuck, that stays on the drill full time.
        I know there are smaller chucks used in the medical industry for surgerys that are stainless steel. They are stainless for cleaning I would quess. I have a Dewalt 18volt impact with the 1/4'' quick change on it. If it had a small 3 jaw keyless chuck with the quick change technology built in it would be ideal for 1/4'' hex bits and still be able to handle round bits 1/4'' and smaller.
        Am I thinking to much ?

Comment

Suppose one could use one of these.
          Or cut off one of the extensions and jsut chuck it up. and have a quick change unit.

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/ab/snappy/drill_bits.htm

my guess is by the time you got the standard bit in the hex part of the chuck there would not be any of it exposed, as the movable jaws would have to be on the end, to hold a small bit, unless I am totally not following.

also there would have to have some detente on the sleeve so the jaws did not get tightened down on to the bit, one would have to remake the arbor of the drill, if the hex chuck slid in and out of the center of the standard chuck, then one would need some type of way of doing that with out a tool. (at least that is how I see it).

I do not know if you have ever had a chuck apart or not, but I do not see how it could be done unless you totally redesigned the jaw part and made it function in a diffrnet way, and if the hex chuck, it near the end the largest bit one could hold is what would fit in the hex chuck size,

they also make hex based bits, so one does not need a chuck so to speak of.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 02-01-2009, 05:15 PM.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            Suppose one could use one of these.
            Or cut off one of the extensions and jsut chuck it up. and have a quick change unit.

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/ab/snappy/drill_bits.htm

my guess is by the time you got the standard bit in the hex part of the chuck there would not be any of it exposed, as the movable jaws would have to be on the end, to hold a small bit, unless I am totally not following.

also there would have to have some detente on the sleeve so the jaws did not get tightened down on to the bit, one would have to remake the arbor of the drill, if the hex chuck slid in and out of the center of the standard chuck, then one would need some type of way of doing that with out a tool. (at least that is how I see it).

I do not know if you have ever had a chuck apart or not, but I do not see how it could be done unless you totally redesigned the jaw part and made it function in a diffrnet way, and if the hex chuck, it near the end the largest bit one could hold is what would fit in the hex chuck size,

they also make hex based bits, so one does not need a chuck so to speak of.
            I think were on the same wave link. Yes the inside of the chuck would have a hexed opening down where the jaws are rather than a round opening on a standard opening. And yes there would need to be a detent to lock the tool in. The nose of the 3 jaw chuck would lift up taking pressure off the detent. Insert the 1/4'' hexed tool push the chuck nose back down, the detent would lock into the groove of the 1/4'' hex tool. It would work the same way the quick change attachment you sent me. The main body of the chuck would need to be redeisigned, just hexed inside. I would think if the quick change technology works in an accsessory some engineer should be able to make it work in a chuck. This would eliminate the extra length sticking out of the chuck. Even if its only gain 1'' from eliminating the holder. Some of the accessorys on the market are pretty long.
            I drew a hex on paper to see what it looked like. The hex has 6 sides the chuck has 3 jaws. From what I see there would be one jaw every other corner of the hex, all evenly spaced out. If you look inside a jawed chuck the jaws are all spaced out evenly. Surely some engineer could make this work.
            Just a brain storm on my part.

Comment

I guess what I am not understanding is if your that tight on space jsut chuck the bit or hex item in the chuck,

If you take the standard bit and even on a 3/8 chuck try sticking it in to the hole that is there all the way, and you hardly have 1/4 sticking out, if you do it on a 1/2" chuck you may not have any sticking out. By the time you make it deeper to lock the bit in at the detent, (I think about the best one could to is put some type of detent in one of the jaws and some lock to lock the jaws at the proper location so a hex shank would just slip into the current jaws).

I personally do not see any real advantage to the idea, where the key less chucks are simple and and with the current accessories available,
              IN my experience if your doing two or three operations you jsut get two or three drills or what ever you need and go for it, setting each up with its own bit, or system.
              so then who needs a quick change tool,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X