X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Router

How about a cordless router. Not a big monster, but small like a lam trimmer. 18v should be enough for small jobs. Make it to where you could run 1/4 round over for decks and such. Be an excellent tool when building decks and boat docks.

Re: Cordless Router

craftsman makes one and i belive that ryobi does havent used them but i dont have much use for them

Comment

I have the Ryobi 18V cordless trim router. Works great and is one of my favorite tools. It is great for the roundover work. In fact, I usually I just leave a 1/8" RO bit chucked and setup just right so I can grab it, slam in a battery and put it to work.

I've also used it for template routing on cedar, routing hinge and strike plate mortises. It's a great little tool for the price, assuming you have batteries and what-not already.

Comment

I figure Ridgid could come up with a better product than either of those models. Plus with their product line having a good rep, it should sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwood View Post
          How about a cordless router. Not a big monster, but small like a lam trimmer. 18v should be enough for small jobs. Make it to where you could run 1/4 round over for decks and such. Be an excellent tool when building decks and boat docks.
          It would also be good for stair and railings where a router with a power cord will just get in the way.

Comment

Dremel also has a router attachment system to turn their multi tool into a router, however when you factor in the cost of the attachment and bits, you're better off buying a more traditional router. Their cordless multi tool gets terrible battery life, so you'd probably only be able to work 5-10 minutes before having to go back on the charger.

If Ridgid were to do a cordless laminate trimmer, they'd have to make sure it gets decent battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by wathman View Post
              Dremel also has a router attachment system to turn their multi tool into a router, however when you factor in the cost of the attachment and bits, you're better off buying a more traditional router. Their cordless multi tool gets terrible battery life, so you'd probably only be able to work 5-10 minutes before having to go back on the charger.

If Ridgid were to do a cordless laminate trimmer, they'd have to make sure it gets decent battery life.

There is no way you would get enough power out of a Dremel to use most router bits.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                There is no way you would get enough power out of a Dremel to use most router bits.
                Exactly, and they have their own router bits that are smaller and lighter than standard router bits meaning you have to spend another $5-$30 just on special bits that won't work when the dremel dies and you want to get a real router.

DeWalt and Craftsman both have cordless trimmers, I still think it's a better investment to just buy a full sized corded one.

Comment

I think Porter Cable once had a standard sized 18v router some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    I think Porter Cable once had a standard sized 18v router some time ago.
                    Did a quick search at Lowes, didn't find one for sale, but that would be a pretty good one to get if you can locate it. Porter Cable just released a bunch of new 18v tools powered by Lithium Ion batteries. They are also following DeWalt's example and making their battery packs interchangable with the older NiCad 18v system. Maybe in a few months we'll see a new 18v router from them.

Comment

I doubt it. It was based on the old 19.2 volt system and a router design that has been discontinued.

http://www.ontimesupply.com/images/PC_9290.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                        I doubt it. It was based on the old 19.2 volt system and a router design that has been discontinued.

http://www.ontimesupply.com/images/PC_9290.jpg
                        Ah, well there goes that idea. All the more reason for Ridgid to make an 18v cordless router/trimmer. I'd consider buying one if they did

Comment

Working...
                        X