X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Lithium Ion Flashlight

I wish Ridgid made a 18v Lithium Ion Flashlight. I'd like to utilize the same battery for my Drill and Flashlight -- something similiar to what Makita makes. If they do -- please let me know.

Re: 18v Lithium Ion Flashlight

Originally posted by riser View Post
    I wish Ridgid made a 18v Lithium Ion Flashlight. I'd like to utilize the same battery for my Drill and Flashlight -- something similiar to what Makita makes. If they do -- please let me know.
    There are at least two styles of 18 V flashlights ridgid sells with combo kits. The X3 and the fuego kits both have a different type.

this would work, it's the older style, but the batteries will fit it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-rigid-R84...d=p3286.c0.m14

This is the fuego style light.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ridgid-18-Vo...d=p3286.c0.m14

Comment

How about one of the long flurescent tube -style worklights, like what DeWalt makes? That would be sweeeeeet!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        How about one of the long flurescent tube -style worklights, like what DeWalt makes? That would be sweeeeeet!
        I second that!

Comment

I have two of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-rigid-R84...d=p3286.c0.m14 and they work great with the lit ion bats

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
            I have two of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-rigid-R84...d=p3286.c0.m14 and they work great with the lit ion bats
            Yes, they do. I actually have that one, and the MaxSelect version that came with the 24 volt 3-piece kit.

But we now have a little LED one, for the crisp light and battery longevity. It would be nice to see a fluorescent tube one to go along with them. Those suckers are bright, and flood your work area quite nicely.

Comment

Canucksartech, Do you have any specifications on the Fuego LUXEON LED?

I can't find anything to tell you if it's a 1W, 3W, or 5W LED
              Nor do I see any estimated run times. I even asked those posting on E-bay but they have nothing.

By the way if you recall the LED modification of the original flashlight? I think it was PEZ.
              He had a good posting..Well, I did the change from incandescent bulb to 48 LED lamp and I'm still on the same battery!!!!! I think with a 18VDC 3AH lithium-ion battery I calculated about 15-20 hours of run time!!!!

Actually the LUXEON style LED is on the road to being obsolete as the new "CREE" style LED
              is the latest and greatest!
              I have a FENIX flashlight using a CREE LED and I get 240 lumens and about 2.4 hours of run time using a lithium-ion rechargeable battery. That is simply amazing and blinding light!

I don't fault Ridgid in not being on the bleeding edge of lighting devices....Maglite just recently introduced LED flashlights!!! The AA style Maglite was a standard in modifying it to an LED unit over 7+ years ago! Maglite now offers a 2-AA or 2-AA LED flashlight rated at 1W in addition to other models/styles

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                Canucksartech, Do you have any specifications on the Fuego LUXEON LED?

I can't find anything to tell you if it's a 1W, 3W, or 5W LED
                Nor do I see any estimated run times. I even asked those posting on E-bay but they have nothing.

By the way if you recall the LED modification of the original flashlight? I think it was PEZ.
                He had a good posting..Well, I did the change from incandescent bulb to 48 LED lamp and I'm still on the same battery!!!!! I think with a 18VDC 3AH lithium-ion battery I calculated about 15-20 hours of run time!!!!

Actually the LUXEON style LED is on the road to being obsolete as the new "CREE" style LED
                is the latest and greatest!
                I have a FENIX flashlight using a CREE LED and I get 240 lumens and about 2.4 hours of run time using a lithium-ion rechargeable battery. That is simply amazing and blinding light!

I don't fault Ridgid in not being on the bleeding edge of lighting devices....Maglite just recently introduced LED flashlights!!! The AA style Maglite was a standard in modifying it to an LED unit over 7+ years ago! Maglite now offers a 2-AA or 2-AA LED flashlight rated at 1W in addition to other models/styles

Cactus Man
                No, I don't have that Fuego kit, but I did look at the 18 volt LED light at the RoundUp in the powertools room, and I didn't see a specification on it. I do believe it's only a 1 watt LED, as it looks very similar to that (I have a few tactical flashlights, some with 1 watt LEDs, and some with the newer 3 watts. This Ridgid LED looked similar to a 1 watt, in design and visible output).

Yes, the Cree stuff seems to be setting the standard in focused and high-output LEDs. I'm seeing a lot more of that from our suppliers that we deal with for search and rescue, in the LED flashlights that are available. Luxeon isn't in as high of demand/requests as the Cree versions are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Maglite just recently introduced LED". They've been around for quite a while now. I bought Maglite branded LED bulb conversion kits for all my big Mags (3-, 4-, and 6-cell Ds) about 3 or 4 years ago now. And they've had straight-out-of-the-box LED versions of their flashlights for at least 2 or 3 years.

But I do agree with you - it's not a high priority for Ridgid, a tool company, to be overly geared towards prioritizing putting out an LED worklight. But, that said, it's been a fair bit - I'd like to see them join forces with an LED manufacturer (same as what Maglight did), and come out with a replacement LED bulb for their standard 14-, 18-, and 24-volt "torch lantern"-style worklights. I'm tired of going into Home Depot and only seeing standard DeWalt-branded incandescent replacement bulbs available. I'd like to see a Ridgid LED replacement bulb.

Comment

Let me explain a bit more....

First on E-bay there is a fellow selling a "Cree" LED estimated 100 lumens lamp for the Ridgid 18VDC flashlight. The lamp base is a direct replacement and is around $18.99
                  So plug and play!

Looks interesting but I already modified my light.

Regarding Maglite....

Back many years ago [long long time ago] reading candlepower forums, a dedicated flashlight reflector, you can see how the 2AA Maglite was the flashlight of preference to modify from the incandescent lamp to a 3 Niachi LED kit. Since then many other styles of upgrades have come to the market. You can also look at the Terralux product line.

Terralux also introduced LED modules for the 2,3,4 D battery Maglite flashlights.

All during this time new flashlights appeared on the scene from 1 tiny LED to 3 and 5watt LUXEON LEDS.

All this time folks were begging Maglite to move from incandescent bulbs to LEDs, but sadly to deaf ears.

I think last Xmas or earlier [2008] Maglite introduced some flashlights sporting the LED!!!!
                  They also started to offer replacement LED lamps for some of their products so you could upgrade them easily. I saw the 2AA and 3AA LED Maglite first at LOWE'S for around $22.00

For a good price and lumens per buck check out the FENIX brand of CREE LED flashlights.
                  I have their T-11R2 model, 64 lumens on "low" and 240 lumens on "high"
                  I'm talking blinding white light!!!!! yep, tactical bright!

Finally the earlier LED flashlights had variations on light output color. It went from a greenish tint to a bluish tine, to a reddish tint, to an off yellow tint. Every light off the line could have a different tint! You never knew what you were going to get. A lot of flashaholics out there were working on the tint challenge. They were also experimenting on improving battery run time, regulation etc.

Today they have advanced to a higher kelvin rating and better quality tints [colors]. They can offer you the incandescent type color to a true daylight [blinding] white.

Also the colored LEDs are truer, such as, blues, greens, reds, etc.

If you think we are crazy when it comes to buying and collecting tools you should see what the flashlight fanatics do!

Over the years I have gone from a 3LED light to 1W, 3W, 5W, to the CREE LED. Most of the LUXEON lights use the CR123 style 3.6v battery and demand a lot of current. They would have short run times and the flashlights would also get warm/hot when run for long intervals.

The CREE LED is a lot more conservative in it's power needs. They still use CR123 batteries or the 18650 3000ma [3AH] rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This can give you over 2.5 hours of maximum light.

Many of the new AA sized LED flashlights also give you amazing battery run time, far exceeding anything the incandescent lamp ever could provide.

Cactus Man

Comment

Let me explain a bit more....

First on E-bay there is a fellow selling a "Cree" LED estimated 100 lumens lamp for the Ridgid 18VDC flashlight. The lamp base is a direct replacement and is around $18.99
                    So plug and play!

Looks interesting but I already modified my light.

Regarding Maglite....

Back many years ago [long long time ago] reading candlepower forums, a dedicated flashlight reflector, you can see how the 2AA Maglite was the flashlight of preference to modify from the incandescent lamp to a 3 Niachi LED kit. Since then many other styles of upgrades have come to the market. You can also look at the Terralux product line.

Terralux also introduced LED modules for the 2,3,4 D battery Maglite flashlights.

All during this time new flashlights appeared on the scene from 1 tiny LED to 3 and 5watt LUXEON LEDS.

All this time folks were begging Maglite to move from incandescent bulbs to LEDs, but sadly to deaf ears.

I think last Xmas or earlier [2008] Maglite introduced some flashlights sporting the LED!!!!
                    They also started to offer replacement LED lamps for some of their products so you could upgrade them easily. I saw the 2AA and 3AA LED Maglite first at LOWE'S for around $22.00

For a good price and lumens per buck check out the FENIX brand of CREE LED flashlights.
                    I have their T-11R2 model, 64 lumens on "low" and 240 lumens on "high"
                    I'm talking blinding white light!!!!! yep, tactical bright!

Finally the earlier LED flashlights had variations on light output color. It went from a greenish tint to a bluish tine, to a reddish tint, to an off yellow tint. Every light off the line could have a different tint! You never knew what you were going to get. A lot of flashaholics out there were working on the tint challenge. They were also experimenting on improving battery run time, regulation etc.

Today they have advanced to a higher kelvin rating and better quality tints [colors]. They can offer you the incandescent type color to a true daylight [blinding] white.

Also the colored LEDs are truer, such as, blues, greens, reds, etc.

If you think we are crazy when it comes to buying and collecting tools you should see what the flashlight fanatics do!

Over the years I have gone from a 3LED light to 1W, 3W, 5W, to the CREE LED. Most of the LUXEON lights use the CR123 style 3.6v battery and demand a lot of current. They would have short run times and the flashlights would also get warm/hot when run for long intervals.

The CREE LED is a lot more conservative in it's power needs. They still use CR123 batteries or the 18650 3000ma [3AH] rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This can give you over 2.5 hours of maximum light.

Many of the new AA sized LED flashlights also give you amazing battery run time, far exceeding anything the incandescent lamp ever could provide.

Cactus Man
                    Very informative post. I'm a "Flashaholic" myself, really enjoy the assortment of tactical lights and batteries. I would caution anyone against the Terralux T-18 toolstar, this cluster led does not hold up well. I have gone through three and returned a couple. They overheat and literally melt or just don't work. I have written to Terralux and a few other LED manufacturers requesting a single LED replacement for our 18volt tool lights but so far, nothing! I have a Terralux LED module in my three D cell Maglite for three years now and it works great. LED's last for thousands of hours, seem to hold up to shock better than incandescent and prolong battery life while providing more light. Don't know why this industry is so backwards and refuses to offer an LED alternative? We just keep buying bulbs, incandescent or fluorescent a waste of money and materials.

Comment

Frankiarmz, I think we did this same dance on the flashlight modification posting. The CREE lamp is on e-bay and you said you could not buy it as they did not ship to Canada?

Perhaps you can try sending a note to traderhill who is selling them and negotiate a way for him to put one in an envelope and apply 60 cents postage or whatever. This will fit your lamp socket

I may order one for fun to see the type throw it offers.

Terralux addresses a different market and since Ridgid does not seem interested in selling their flashlight at Home Depot as a stand alone product they figure it's not worth the expense in such a small product market.

By the way, that 48LED m-16 base lamp modification works quite well and does not get warm and has a nice 45 degree throw.

I also recall you have the older style flashlight and instead of reading 12VDC after the regulator at the bulb socket you are measuring ..I think, an actual 18VDC...
                      Thus you can still do the modification look for a m-16 base with a 15-18VDC rating. You can then go back to the original discussion and recall the modification procedure.

Your light did not have a"black regulator module"..right?

Maybe you can order a regulator and upgrade your light....

Do check out the FENIX TK-11R2 flashlight on E-bay I bought it with two lithium-ion batteries and a charger for a great price.

regards,

Cactus Man
                      Last edited by cactusman; 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Frankiarmz, I think we did this same dance on the flashlight modification posting. The CREE lamp is on e-bay and you said you could not buy it as they did not ship to Canada?

Perhaps you can try sending a note to traderhill who is selling them and negotiate a way for him to put one in an envelope and apply 60 cents postage or whatever. This will fit your lamp socket

I may order one for fun to see the type throw it offers.

Terralux addresses a different market and since Ridgid does not seem interested in selling their flashlight at Home Depot as a stand alone product they figure it's not worth the expense in such a small product market.

By the way, that 48LED m-16 base lamp modification works quite well and does not get warm and has a nice 45 degree throw.

I also recall you have the older style flashlight and instead of reading 12VDC after the regulator at the bulb socket you are measuring ..I think, an actual 18VDC...
                        Thus you can still do the modification look for a m-16 base with a 15-18VDC rating. You can then go back to the original discussion and recall the modification procedure.

Your light did not have a"black regulator module"..right?

Maybe you can order a regulator and upgrade your light....

Do check out the FENIX TK-11R2 flashlight on E-bay I bought it with two lithium-ion batteries and a charger for a great price.

regards,

Cactus Man
                        I live in CT, but we did go back and forth on this subject. No voltage regulation 21 plus volts on a charged battery! Not worth modding my Ridgid, I'll wait (that's a joke) for Ridgid to meet the future. The Fenix is way too pricy for a 240 lumen tactical, I'm sure it's nice but I have a couple Olight T-20's as my expensive models. My EDC believe it or not is the Ultrafire A1 from dealextreme ( I know no respectable Flashaholic would own one). I also use the C3 from them. These cheap lights have no mode memory which is annoying but they do throw out some respectable light. My favorite is the A1 very good light, throw, long run time on low and all one one RCR123A! I wonder what breakthroughs await us in terms of lumen output and batteries? Imagine a RCR123A with 2000MAH's instead of 900? Hey, I apreciate your time and knowledge, take care.

Comment

FYI: Milwaukee is marketing an LED replacement bulb for 18V flash lights:

Attachment

"Replacing Milwaukee® M12™, M18™, V28®, and most other branded 9.6V-28V incandescent bulbs, the 49-81-0090 Upgrade to LED bulb works in most power tool work lights and delivers over 3X the run-time of traditional light bulbs. With a 50,000 hour LED and limited lifetime warranty; the 49-81-0090 is a solid state light that will not break from a fall. Limited Lifetime Warranty"

No specs on lumens but their M18 cordless LED worklight specs are:
                          Specs (2735-20)
                          · Lumen: 160
                          · Color Temperature: 5600K
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a link for the ToolBarn, price $29. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask if the module will hande 21 volts?
                            http://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-49....html?ref=base

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                              FYI: Milwaukee is marketing an LED replacement bulb for 18V flash lights:

Attachment

"Replacing Milwaukee® M12™, M18™, V28®, and most other branded 9.6V-28V incandescent bulbs, the 49-81-0090 Upgrade to LED bulb works in most power tool work lights and delivers over 3X the run-time of traditional light bulbs. With a 50,000 hour LED and limited lifetime warranty; the 49-81-0090 is a solid state light that will not break from a fall. Limited Lifetime Warranty"

No specs on lumens but their M18 cordless LED worklight specs are:
                              Specs (2735-20)
                              · Lumen: 160
                              · Color Temperature: 5600K
                              Beautiful to see. I have the Ridgid 24-volt (MaxSelect compatible) lantern worklight, and I'd love to change over the standard bulb to an LED (without doing all sorts of soldering and reworking the flashlight itself, which is required by other LED mods with multiple LED diode fixtures.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X