X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Power Equipment

Why not offer a line of chain saws, blowers, brush cutters, electric hedge trimmers ect.

I was looking for a chain saw the other day and thought I would see if Ridgid offered one. I guess not so I went with a Stihl.

Just a thought

- Dan

Re: Outdoor Power Equipment

Probably the same reason Stihl isn't in the cordless power tool market....
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
      Probably the same reason Stihl isn't in the cordless power tool market....

Good point, but it might be something to at least look into. Now I think about it they probably all ready have.

Comment

Ridgid has done very little to compete with other cordless tool brands, so I would not expect them to offer much in the way of 2cycle power tools. Stihl is supposed to be the rolls royce of chainsaws but they have a lousy warranty. My nieghbor bought a small stihl chainsaw that had trouble out of the box and when it seized after a few weeks, he was left hanging with no options for repair or replacement. Husqvarna might be worth a look. I have older pro Homelites, heavy but built to last a long time. I find chainsaws interesting because they require more than just gasoline and 2 cycle mix to run well. You need to properly adjust chain tension, flip the bar and keep the the machine clean of accumulated sawdust and debris to run well.

Comment

For me and outdoor equipment, it's Poulan Pro for chainsaws, and Cub Cadet for all other stuff where available. Stihl too - I haven't had issues, or heard of issues, like mentioned earlier. Stihl has a very in depth service program here in Canada - they're good as gold. But I like me my Cub Cadet stuff.

Comment

My Stihl chain saw keeps losing it's chain. So I went to the dealer and had them look at it. I thought the tension was wrong or even had the wrong chanin. They said it was fine. I took it home and went back to work and the stupid chain came off again. So I went across town to a guy who repairs them. He took it in the back and came out a few minutes later and said your good to go and charged me $10.00.
            The thing works better than ever! I called him and asked what he did and he said it was a secret and laughed. He wouldn't tell me. That's ok for ten bux and all the agrivation it was worth it to me.

Does any one have an idea on what he did though?

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
              My Stihl chain saw keeps losing it's chain. So I went to the dealer and had them look at it. I thought the tension was wrong or even had the wrong chanin. They said it was fine. I took it home and went back to work and the stupid chain came off again. So I went across town to a guy who repairs them. He took it in the back and came out a few minutes later and said your good to go and charged me $10.00.
              The thing works better than ever! I called him and asked what he did and he said it was a secret and laughed. He wouldn't tell me. That's ok for ten bux and all the agrivation it was worth it to me.

Does any one have an idea on what he did though?
              Nope. My old man uses chainsaws way more than I do. I know he has extra tension on his, and he likes it that way.

I would suggest keep that guy's phone number in your Rolodex (if anyone still has one of those).

Comment

Okay guys, here's some chain tension advice. Too tight and you shorten the life of the chain, bar and bog down the engine, too loose and you become a target for the flying chain. The chain will stretch a bit when it gets warmed up, but don't tension a hot chain, instead, do it right when it's cold. Before you crank down the bolts that lock the bar in place, slowly tighten the bar and keep checking the chain tension by lifting the chain away from the bar at the middle of the bar. Rule of thumb is there should be the thickness of a dime as you lift between the chain and bar. If you want you can give it one more slight quarter turn as long as you can move the chain on the bar by hand without straining too much. Every time you shut down or run out of fuel, check your bar oil. On average the chain is traveling around the bar at roughly 50 miles per hour. And flip that bar, it extends the life of the bar.

Comment

Working...
                X