Manual Press Tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Press Tool

You need to offer a manual press tool for your Viega ProPress system.

There are more people that only have a few potential press connections a week than those that need a production tool. Those that only need a few connections have not and probably will not buy the more expensive unit.

A manual unit at the right price point could even help sales of the production units once those with the manual tool see how they like it and potentially get more jobs requiring more press connections.

Hydraulic ram with good materials automatically releasing when jaws close at x amount of pressure.

It can be done.

J.C.

Re: Manual Press Tool

j.c., i've discussed this on more than 1 occasion with the guys and gals at ridgid.

it is available for pex, but not for copper. i was thinking a bolt cutter type design with the compounded leverage it can generate.

i think once you add the hydraulic assist into it, the price would be similar, minus the battery and charger. remember that the jaws are a good chunk of change.

i think once the end user pays for a mechanical crimper, they will kick themselves for not paying a little bit more for the real deal

now if someone is on the edge and wants a good slightly used unit. i have a collection of 7 machines with jaws, and a few sets of xl jaws 2.5-4'' to get rid of.

don't tell joey i'm selling the farm

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

What about a bolt across the back of the jaws that could be closed with a 1/2" rachet. It could have something similar to a built in torque multiplier to increase the closing force.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

if i got my numbers right the propress tool exerts a force of 5400# at the ram. this then gets multiplied at the jaws through the mechanical advantage of the jaw.

it would take a very large fulcrum/ offset to create the force required to close the jaws.

sure 1/2'' might be easy, but as the size of the fitting goes up, so does the force required to close and crimp.

remember that the propress uses an internal computer to monitor the complete cycle. it ever monitors the total cycles a tool has pressed.

a manual pex crimper even needs to be checked for tolerance with a ring gage/ go, no go.

i think a hydraulic set up would be a better choice mated to a pressure relief valve set for the size fitting you need to crimp. once again the cost of this would be similar to the tool minus the battery and charger. jaws are a large portion of the tool cost.

believe me, i had the same questions too. i was thinking a bolt cutter style ring closer. something you could swivel just like the new swivel rings and xlc rings. the tool would apply the force to close the rings.

i was at a job 2 weeks ago and the electrician need to cut off over 100 aluminum #750 conductors. he was using a greenlee style press machine with cutter jaws. sure they make ratcheting jaws, but he chose to use the battery tool for this. remember all he needed was a cutter. not a precision tool that's calibrated for the job task.

i think ridgid dave will have the answers you're looking for

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

One of the other reasons I thought of the manual tool is I sometimes have a call or job at a commercial business where they have highly volatile chemicals in the room.

Large plastic drum-vat-container here and there. I have been told SPECIFICALLY not to solder, have any corded tools, OR battery tools in the area.

Up to this point I was doing some DWV work in there. But they do have copper distribution and I'm always looking around thinking what I might have to do at some later time.

Manual Press Tool, go to work.

Battery or corded, have them empty the room the day before. Only would take two guys about 12 hours to clear it of danger probably.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            One of the other reasons I thought of the manual tool is I sometimes have a call or job at a commercial business where they have highly volatile chemicals in the room.

Large plastic drum-vat-container here and there. I have been told SPECIFICALLY not to solder, have any corded tools, OR battery tools in the area.

Up to this point I was doing some DWV work in there. But they do have copper distribution and I'm always looking around thinking what I might have to do at some later time.

Manual Press Tool, go to work.

Battery or corded, have them empty the room the day before. Only would take two guys about 12 hours to clear it of danger probably.

J.C.
            Or you could just use an atmosphere exchanger.
            Us hicks down here calls'em a fan

Comment

Here you go. Page 17 at the bottom.

http://catalog.proemags.com/publicat...c#/f42899bc/18

Now just get off the high priced jaws.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X