X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a 4.5" cordless grinder

18/24 volt. 4.5" cordless grinder would be an excellent addition to my rigid cordless collection. and make it as durable as my makita with the string

Re: How about a 4.5" cordless grinder

I agree, I have used the Dewalt grinder and it is very handy, but I would rather add to my RIDGID set.

Comment

Sorry to say this useful cordless tool has been requested quite often and for quite a while. Last year I finally bought one made by Ryobi with a lithium battery. I would have preferred a Ridgid one, but they have not offered much lately. Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Comment

This is one shortfall that could force me to Dewalt.

Comment

the Dewalt cordless grinder I have is not a prize in my opinion,

yes it will grind and will work with a cut off wheel, the only good thing about one is it is cordless, it is underpowered, the battery life is minimal at best, (no it is not the batteries), the tool just needs some hp to work effectively and the battery platform does not preform well in this situation.

there have been a few times I an glad I have one like to cut a nail off a wood fence with the cut off wheel or to polish some thing up with sanding disk,

but it will nearly take a battery to cut 6 30D nails, or to grind a few inches of weld bead, I needed to cut a hole in a grain auger about 16 gage sheet metal and I think it took three batteries to cut the 8 by 12 inch hole, and it was just baby it along,

now maybe other are more impressed but I think the reason they have not offered it is because it is kind of an iffy on performance, tool.

I have a 4" or 4.5" Dewalt and a 6" Dewalt small grinders, and the cordless is just a fraction of the tool they are,

not saying there is not times it is time saving to have, but I do not think it can keep up with the cheapest of corded grinders.

where if your comparing many corded or cordless drills or other tools the performance is many times even better in the cordless tools, or it is such that the lacking of performance is not a detouring factor,
          say in a reciprocating saw, I find mine very good besides having to change batteries, and I have a few corded reciprocating saws) on drills I think many times the performance of the cordless is as good or many times preferred, small circular saws have improved but the cordless aspect makes them usable, but they do not replace a corded tool IMO,
          when it comes to grinders I do not think there there yet, (if they made a super battery say a double set of cells, in it so one could store twice the power, it may be factor on its capablities even if the weight was greater).
          Last edited by BHD; 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            the Dewalt cordless grinder I have is not a prize in my opinion,

yes it will grind and will work with a cut off wheel, the only good thing about one is it is cordless, it is underpowered, the battery life is minimal at best, (no it is not the batteries), the tool just needs some hp to work effectively and the battery platform does not preform well in this situation.

there have been a few times I an glad I have one like to cut a nail off a wood fence with the cut off wheel or to polish some thing up with sanding disk,

but it will nearly take a battery to cut 6 30D nails, or to grind a few inches of weld bead, I needed to cut a hole in a grain auger about 16 gage sheet metal and I think it took three batteries to cut the 8 by 12 inch hole, and it was just baby it along,

now maybe other are more impressed but I think the reason they have not offered it is because it is kind of an iffy on performance, tool.

I have a 4" or 4.5" Dewalt and a 6" Dewalt small grinders, and the cordless is just a fraction of the tool they are,

not saying there is not times it is time saving to have, but I do not think it can keep up with the cheapest of corded grinders.

where if your comparing many corded or cordless drills or other tools the performance is many times even better in the cordless tools, or it is such that the lacking of performance is not a detouring factor,
            say in a reciprocating saw, I find mine very good besides having to change batteries, and I have a few corded reciprocating saws) on drills I think many times the performance of the cordless is as good or many times preferred, small circular saws have improved but the cordless aspect makes them usable, but they do not replace a corded tool IMO,
            when it comes to grinders I do not think there there yet, (if they made a super battery say a double set of cells, in it so one could store twice the power, it may be factor on its capablities even if the weight was greater).
            Good post and I agree. Cordless tools can save time on small jobs or certain tasks but they can't match the power of corded tools! Yesterday I added a small 2x4 hand rail to a ramp I have next to my house. My Ridgid cordless drill and impact were fine for the jobs they were required to do, but when it came to cutting and sanding the 2x4's I had to pull out the corded circular saw and belt sander. The weakest cordless tool by far is my Ryobi lithium grinder. Great for small jobs, but it just quits when the going gets tough. Reminds me, I better go charge some batteries!

Comment

I would like to see some tool company give a try to a 36 Volt angle grinder. I really would like to see the use of multiple battery packs for some cordless tools that require raw power and longer run time. My dream is to take 3 or 4 of the DeWalt 36 Volt battery packs and make up a small compound miter saw and also a little worn drive circular saw with guts to really work hard. These would not come cheap but I bet serious contractors would like them.

Maybe a bigger 7 or 9 inch angle grinder could have a tiny 2 cycle weed trimmer engine. It would be for outdoor use only but I bet it would be quite a tool. Remember there are abrasive stone cutting saws with engines powering them so an angle grinder should work out.

Comment

Working in Stainless, the minimum power for an angle grinder is 1000W! 125mm/5inch
                One that works well with cut-off wheels, with the equivalent power would we great, as long as it was supplied with 3 or 4 batteries. Changing batteries is not a problem as long as you have enough of them, and 2 or 3 charging stations.

Comment

It would be easier and faster to buy a corded grinder and small generator or power inverter than running to the charger every few minutes.
                  Time wasted is money lost.

Comment

Originally posted by LockSmithSavant View Post
                    18/24 volt. 4.5" cordless grinder would be an excellent addition to my rigid cordless collection. and make it as durable as my makita with the string
                    cant say for sure but the handle on the new corded slim grip grinder is the same as the mini recip, so hopefully they make an 18 volt version

Comment

Working...
                    X