X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Heat Gun...

Just thinking of situation where a Battery Heat Gun would be useful.

I know enough about the problems that would arise from the quick/draw short run on the battery. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored.

Problems are always part of anything.

J.C.

(P.S. I miss Rick. Wish he was here to tell me how he already thought of it. Got it written on a napkin in New Zealand.)

Re: Battery Heat Gun...

What would you use it for?

Heat shrink maybe? There are multiple options using butane for electrical applications.

I guess some place where a flame would not be safe as a heat source huh?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      What would you use it for?

Heat shrink maybe? There are multiple options using butane for electrical applications.

I guess some place where a flame would not be safe as a heat source huh?
      Yes. For me I've pushed the envelope more than once using the torch when a heat gun would have given me the same, and safer, result.

J.C.

Comment

J.C., there are no bad ideas (well maybe my death ray), but I've come to the conclusion Ridgid really doesn't want new tool ideas. There have been plenty of good suggestions in the past along with requests to offer what the big guys do, but look what they've come up with. , sorry, I think this is just a thread to let folks dream. Hey, maybe Ryobi or DeWalt people get some ideas from here?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Just thinking of situation where a Battery Heat Gun would be useful.

I know enough about the problems that would arise from the quick/draw short run on the battery. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored.

Problems are always part of anything.

J.C.

(P.S. I miss Rick. Wish he was here to tell me how he already thought of it. Got it written on a napkin in New Zealand.)
          I've been trying to get a heat gun for my LXT for the past two years. I keep melting poly pipe with my torch, and my wife has only so many 1500w hair dryers.

Mick

Comment

Milwaukee used to make a great heat gun. Sparkys use them all the time, shouldn't be too hard to find one, no doubt they still make one.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

While these are corded, here is some info on heat guns in case anyone is interested in it.

Milwaukee: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...Name=Heat+Guns

Master: http://www.masterappliance.com/products_services.html

Master has been making many different models of heat guns for years. Some are pretty specialized but others should be fine for general work.

At one time there was a company that made a 12-15 Volt DC heat gun where the power cord had clips (think battery charger) to clip onto a 12 Volt lead acid battery such as in your car or to a trolling motor deep cycle battery. From what I remember reading about it, the heat gun didn't produce much heat. It was sold for thawing frozen locks mostly and I guess given some time it would have worked.
              Last edited by Woussko; 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yup, the Master is the model I have. Bought it years ago for paint removal before the whole deal with lead paint fumes surfaced. That 1000°F can give you a serious burn and can easily scorch wood or even set it ablaze.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Working...
                X