How about a RIDGID Tracksaw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a RIDGID Tracksaw?

Why let Festool, DeWalt, and Bosch have all the fun?

We need an orange tracksaw.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: How about a RIDGID Tracksaw?

Too late, got a great deal on a yellow Tracksaw at the Woodworking Show in Baltimore from Skarie Inc.

Corded tracksaw w/hard case, (1) 59" track, (1) 46" track, (1) track coupler, and track storage bag which will hold both tracks...all for $475.00 Best price I could find for the saw alone was from Tyler Tool for $499.

I also have the router attachment coming that will work with DeWalt and PC routers. Since I have PC and Milwaukee routers, both of which have the same spread on the guide rod holes, all of my routers will be usable with the DeWalt track system. And I can easily make mounting plates that attach to the router guide for other tools like my R2400 trim router.

No RIDGID tools on display or Rep. present on Saturday.

Show was not as big as the last time I was there which I think was 2 years ago, but still was worth the 100 mile drive.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Let us know how you like it.
      I also have one but haven't needed it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
        Let us know how you like it.
        I also have one but haven't needed it yet.

I should have reason to use it soon ripping some 3/4 ply, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

OK, I have not used the saw as yet and here's why.
          I bought the DWS520SK Tracksaw kit but get this the kit does not come with the track clamps, they are extra.

All the time I was talking to the DeWalt rep at the show and to the sales guy from Skarie Inc. and trying out the saw on display no one ever said that the clamps were not included. They did not have another saw but did have the tracks and case so I took those with me and they shipped the saw on Monday and it arrived Wednesday. I didn't get to open it until this afternoon and was expecting to find the clamps with the saw in the case, but they were not there, just the saw.

Now if you read the manual the clamps it would seem are required.

Why do I say that? Because in at least three places in the manual it tells you to ALWAYS use the clamps, with statements like this (copied right out of the manual):

WARNING:
          To help reduce the risk of personal injury, always

clamp work.

WARNING: ALWAYS

secure the workpiece in such a manner

that it cannot move while sawing. For optimum results, clamp the
          workpiece bottom up.

WARNING: ALWAYS

use the clamp (Fig. 8, AA) to hold the track

to the workpiece.

Securing the workpiece with clamps ensures a secure hold and

safe working.

WARNING:

To reduce the risk of injury, ALWAYS secure the

track (W) with a clamp.

So what you have is a saw that sells for about the same price as the Festool TS-55EQ tracksaw but I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison (pricewise) because as I understand it the Festool comes with the clamps and the DeWalt does not. You need to add another $36 for the DeWalt clamps.

The Woodwhisperer reviewed the DeWalt tracksaw about a year ago. Overall he rated it as equal to the Festool (which he uses). One thing I noticed with the track is that the two pieces did not line up as well as I would like. I think that is because there is only the splice bar to join the tracks, there are no interlocking mating pins. You just insert the splice bar in the clamp slot on the underside of the track and then slide the next section of track onto it. The sections get secured by tightening two set screws for each track section. But be careful not to make them too tight, as the could raise a dimple on the top side of the track.

I also found the case for the tracks to be less than I would have expected and the same goes for the saw case. The hardcase for the saw is barely more than a hinged plastic box with a couple latches. Really, there are no dividers inside for the cord or accessories like an extra blade, the splice bar, or the clamps. There is room for these items in the box, you just have to toss them in after putting the saw in the case, VERY poorly thought out. The track case is of similar mediocre design. While it may protect the tracks from external damage, they are not separated from each other so will clang and rub and scratch each other up, possibly leading to damage to the anti-splinter strips on the track edges. There is no pocket to hold the clamps or the splice bar or an extra blade, and there was no allen wrench supplied with the splice bar, which is required to secure the track sections together, with either piece of track, or the case. Not a big deal as I certainly have metric allen wrenches but you would think the stinking 5 cent allen wrench would be there.

Like I said I have not fired the saw up yet, that will come after the clamps arrive. Sorry to say Skarie but I choose NOT to buy the clamps from you since you were not thoughtful enough to let me know at the show they were not included in the kit. When I called and inquired about the clamps you did get back to me to tell me they were not included so thanks for the followup but I am sure the $36 I paid online was cheaper than you would be anyway. And while I was at it I ordered the router adapter so I can use my PC and Milwaukee routers with the DeWalt tracks.

I hope to find time to use the saw and make some rips in 1/2 and 3/4 plywood this weekend and I'll let you all know how that goes.

1/20/2010 Update: Haven't had time to use the saw yet, maybe this weekend. If not it won't be for another week or two as I will be busier than I am now.

Last edited by Bob D.; 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM. Reason: added update note

Comment

hmm I didn't know that...but I did order the clamps,102" track,54" track and case.I assumed that the no-skid pads on the track were enough.They seemed so when I cut the rubber edge.Glad I got the clamps also.

Comment

OK, I did get to use the saw this weekend, but I don't have time to write up a full report.

I will say this... the saw did a great job of making smooth. clean cuts. No splintering on either side, both sides of the cut usable.

If I were going to be making a habit of making long cuts, I would definitely get the 102" track. With the 46 and 59" tracks that I have are spliced together the connection is not that rigid. I found that I needed to take a third measurement at the splice to ensure that the track was a uniform distance from the edge nd formed a straight line.

I didn't have a shop vac or DC setup so was running "bare" but the saw still did a good job of ejecting the sawdust, no sign of build up inside, but then I only made six 8 foot rips in 3/4" ply.

Comment

Working...
              X