X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Idea

I don't expect anything to come of this suggestion, but I'll throw it out for fun. Why not offer a battery pack that can easily be serviced by the consumer? Something that can be opened with a couple screws and instead of using cells that are strung together by soldered metal strips, they are held in place and connected just as in a eight D cell application. The higher amp hour voltage specific either nicad or lithium cells could be tested, date stamped and marketed just like a battery pack or tool. The up side of this consumer friendly idea would be less time and cost dealing with a repair center and less pollution and waste dumping an otherwise good battery because of one or more defective cells. Just think about being able to open up your cordless battery and replacing a few cells, instead of the expense of buying another or the hassle of trying to get service? Maybe this has already been suggested?

Re: Battery Idea

Never happen!
    Too much potential liability
    not enough room for the safety labels the lawyers will demand.

Think about this..we have folks here that put table saw blades and band saw blades on backwards...can you imagine someone without a clue as to how to safely solder or mechanically attach individual cells? let alone test them?

The potential for explosion and fire is tremendous!

Most cities have a battery store that has the proper tools to evaluate cells [under load] and to properly attach cells..a bit pricey but a lot safer!

I rebuilt a nicad set one time and it was brutal and I have a Hakko solder station and all the "good tools" Just finding the correct size replaceable cells was aggravating!

If you think we are complaining about Ridgid not having battery packs ..think about the challenges with proprietary sized cells!

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: Battery Idea

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
      Never happen!
      Too much potential liability
      not enough room for the safety labels the lawyers will demand.

Think about this..we have folks here that put table saw blades and band saw blades on backwards...can you imagine someone without a clue as to how to safely solder or mechanically attach individual cells? let alone test them?

The potential for explosion and fire is tremendous!

Most cities have a battery store that has the proper tools to evaluate cells [under load] and to properly attach cells..a bit pricey but a lot safer!

I rebuilt a nicad set one time and it was brutal and I have a Hakko solder station and all the "good tools" Just finding the correct size replaceable cells was aggravating!

If you think we are complaining about Ridgid not having battery packs ..think about the challenges with proprietary sized cells!

Cactus Man
      You're probably right about it not happening. I was thinking a simple enclosure that would allow for the cells to be replaced in much the same way as a flashlight or portable radio. I agree that lithium batteries are a lot more prone to explosion and fire. Ridgid would have to sell the battery individually packaged, ready to just pop in to the holder. I understand that these companies have a hard time dealing with quality control, distrubutors and customers as it is so I guess they won't be using my suggestion. What you did was difficult because the batterry enclosure and connections are not designed for the DIY'r, even one with your skill level and tools. I have replaced cordless telephone battery packs with indivicual AA NIMH , using wie and a soldering gun and it was tricky. Now I have 2600MAH instead of 700.
      check out batteryjunction.com for sub C cells or dealextreme.com.

Comment

Working...
      X