X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Batteries

Why haven`t all power tool manufactures come together and make one uniform battery for battery tools whether it is 12, 14 or 18 volt as it is ridiculas each time you buy a new brand of tool the batteries and most importantly the charges are usless you can still make your battery tools to your own design it is just waste on you behalf and more polution of our planet.

Tony

Re: Universal Batteries

Great idea on many levels, and not at all unreasonable. Drills accept the same bits, saws the same blades, so why not build tools around the same battery platform?

Comment

SHHHHH don't give them any ideas as to drill bits or saw blades only for their product!

On the topic of batteries I truly doubt they will standardize batteries..hey..look at computer printers!
      They give us the printer and screw us on ink cartridges etc!!!!!

I thought there was an after market universal type charger that offered adapters for assorted batteries? I forget the name but I think it was round and could charge 4 batteries at one time.

Another problem in a universal battery and charger is the design of both. For example the Ridgid folks have 3+ chargers:
      1. dual charger 9-18v nicads only, no lithium-ion batteries
      2. single charger as above
      3. single charger that also charges lithium-ion batteries
      4. 24v charger
      5. newer 12v only charger

making a "smart" charger to accommodate just those above requires a complete re-engineering and tooling. Now add the "other brands" like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch, Craftsman, Tradesman, Ryobi, Makita and the list goes on....

Nice concept but from a marketing and engineering perspective not likely to ever happen

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        Why haven`t all power tool manufactures come together and make one uniform battery for battery tools whether it is 12, 14 or 18 volt as it is ridiculas each time you buy a new brand of tool the batteries and most importantly the charges are usless you can still make your battery tools to your own design it is just waste on you behalf and more polution of our planet
        My dream: It would be nice if we could just simply replace the defective cells or upgrade the battery with plug-in connectors within the battery case. The attached photo is an example of replacement battery paks available for a cordless phone. Each manufacturer can still design their own battery cases but use a universal plug-in connector. The owner would be able to choose the quality, quantity, and battery type.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2e74e21d3e9389be18822dca6c501702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	9825

Comment

This year in Europe they are requiring all mobile phone manufacturers to use the same type of charger. I think it is micro usb They may do it here in another year or two. I can't tell you how many different mobile phone chargers I have sitting in drawers from all the phones I have had over the years. It would be nice if they could do that with power tools. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/0...ger/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by sunrisejim View Post
            This year in Europe they are requiring all mobile phone manufacturers to use the same type of charger. I think it is micro usb They may do it here in another year or two. I can't tell you how many different mobile phone chargers I have sitting in drawers from all the phones I have had over the years. It would be nice if they could do that with power tools. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/0...ger/index.html
            Thats why I brought this up in the first place governments should tell tool manufacturers to make one universal battery and charger for all power tools it carn`t be that hard.

Tony

Comment

I am not too crazy about a government dictating excactly what manufacturers should make, but i do think it would be nice if they would voluntarily all get together and come up with a standard. Maybe not a standard size or quality of battery but at least one with the same connections that would fit on other brands or tools. Maybe the govenment can give them just a little push.. The disposable batteries all come in standard sizes, such as AA, AAA, C, D, so why not rechargable batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by sunrisejim View Post
                I am not too crazy about a government dictating excactly what manufacturers should make, but i do think it would be nice if they would voluntarily all get together and come up with a standard. Maybe not a standard size or quality of battery but at least one with the same connections that would fit on other brands or tools. Maybe the govenment can give them just a little push.. The disposable batteries all come in standard sizes, such as AA, AAA, C, D, so why not rechargable batteries?
                Manufactures do nothing without governments pushing them ever since I purchased my first battery drill a Stanley in the 1970,s I would have gone through about ten brands and every one had its own battery and charger and I am only one tradesman how many are there and where do the batteries and chargers all end up in land fill all over the world.

Tony

Comment

Where I live the county governments usually have a drop off site for rechargable batteries because they can be recycled. I do believe that the government ought to make the manufacterers take the batteries back and recyle them. Maybe that would encourage them to make universal batteries.

Comment

I remember when many companies had prioritizes there blades, jig saw blades had a few different types, and I think reciprocating saw did to at one time, If I remember correctly Bosh had a T shank jig saw blade, and I think there hammer drill bits were a taper shank, and some companies a U shank on some reciprocating saws, Porter Cable had what was called the Bayonet Style. also one really had to watch the arbor size on some of the circular saw blades and have some ring adapters if you had different saws, also there were not that universal on the 7 1/4 for a circular saw, some were 6" and some were 6 1/2" and the 7 1/4" and 8 inch and others, (yes there is prioritized on the battery saws of all different sizes and arbor sizes yet),

but I think the companies that had the odd types out lost market share, and changed to accept a universal shank, for the most part.

currently as long as market share is not lost over a battery, there will be little change, but if only one company comes up with drill or a tool that is good and can retro fit a number of companies batterers or a after market battery that has interchangeable shanks on the unit that will fit a number of different tools, I would think there may be some changes, and in a hurry,

currently (it appears to be big money in replacement batteries). but I know I would consider Ridgid like much more of a possibility if they would accept Dewalt or Vis versa, I got started with the Dewalt 18 volt line, and in the past when a set of batteries got poor I normally bought a new tool to "replace the batteries" now I have nice collection of Dewalt 18 volt tools,
                    so to consider a Ridgid 18 volt tool would not seem to me to be logical, as there is no interchange in the power, I would need separate batteries and charger to use it, (I have the Dewalt vehicle chargers, why would I want to go through the entire mess again to have two chargers, (even if Ridgid makes a vehicle charger), and have a couple of different brands of chargers setting on the bench),

now if some company would come out with a reasonable cost battery and one could slip on a adapter sleeve to mate it with different tool brands I think they would have a winner, (the charger could have a drawer or place to store the different adapters),
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD-

I was thinking the same thing about some type of adapter set that would accomodate any of the major brand batteries. If it ever came to be, it would probably be produced by some aftermarket company. It would take quite a few adapters to achieve compatibility with all the major brands and voltages but I would buy a set in a heartbeat. Or, better yet, sell the adapters individually to suit a specific need. Whenever a new style of battery connector is released, they could release a "update" set.
                      If these sold for $5-10 each, I would be all over it. Can't think of how many times I've seen tool batteries clearanced but passed on them because they weren't my brand. I guess all we can do is hope.

BTW: I agree that a universal battery is a much better idea but I'm not that big of a dreamer!

Comment

[QUOTE=AFM;278149]...it is ridiculas each time you buy a new brand of tool the batteries and most importantly the charges are usless.../QUOTE]

I think that's the point. You buy Ridgid cordless stuff, the next time around, you're more likely to buy Ridgid again because you already have chargers and batts you can use with the new tool or you could have backups.
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

[QUOTE=idlplumb;315579]
                          Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          ...it is ridiculous each time you buy a new brand of tool the batteries and most importantly the charges are usless.../QUOTE]

I think that's the point. You buy RIDGID cordless stuff, the next time around, you're more likely to buy RIDGID again because you already have chargers and batts you can use with the new tool or you could have backups.
                          You would THINK it would work that way but its not always true. Manufacturers can't even standardize within their own ranks, let alone across the industry. A little over a year ago I bought a new wiz-bang HTC smartphone, a couple months ago I decided to upgrade to a newer HTC smartphone with many more features. Does the charger fit? HELL no, I had to buy all new because the plug is different. As far as power tools the same is true. How hard would it be for RIDGID to make a charger that could recognize all their different voltage batteries and be able to charge them all correctly automatically, answer is it would be simple, but as others pointed out there is little profit in that option so they waste resources and contribute to landfill bloat because of their greed, nothing more, just greed plain and simple.

I would like to see disposable batteries done away with in the common sizes like AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. It is too much to ask for a rechargeable battery in the 21st century? We're getting there, but government could force the issue by making it a requirement by some future date, maybe 3 or 4 years from now, which would give time to further develop the technology and make allowances in devices.

If government could mandate MPG requirements how is this different or any less important to the environment?

Show of hands...how many here think the gas mileage of our current crop of vehicles would be as high as it is today w/o the EPA mandated requirements?

For a group whose existence practically depends on government regulations (building codes, inspections, product testing and approvals), I find it strange that so many are opposed to government regulation in some areas such as fuel economy. I'm not saying they get it right when they bring out some of these regs, just that if we were to wait for industry to act on its own it would never happen.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob D.;315619]
                            Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

You would THINK it would work that way but its not always true. Manufacturers can't even standardize within their own ranks, let alone across the industry. A little over a year ago I bought a new wiz-bang HTC smartphone, a couple months ago I decided to upgrade to a newer HTC smartphone with many more features. Does the charger fit? HELL no, I had to buy all new because the plug is different. As far as power tools the same is true. How hard would it be for RIDGID to make a charger that could recognize all their different voltage batteries and be able to charge them all correctly automatically, answer is it would be simple, but as others pointed out there is little profit in that option so they waste resources and contribute to landfill bloat because of their greed, nothing more, just greed plain and simple.

I would like to see disposable batteries done away with in the common sizes like AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. It is too much to ask for a rechargeable battery in the 21st century? We're getting there, but government could force the issue by making it a requirement by some future date, maybe 3 or 4 years from now, which would give time to further develop the technology and make allowances in devices.

If government could mandate MPG requirements how is this different or any less important to the environment?

Show of hands...how many here think the gas mileage of our current crop of vehicles would be as high as it is today w/o the EPA mandated requirements?

For a group whose existence practically depends on government regulations (building codes, inspections, product testing and approvals), I find it strange that so many are opposed to government regulation in some areas such as fuel economy. I'm not saying they get it right when they bring out some of these regs, just that if we were to wait for industry to act on its own it would never happen.
                            I think the government could mandate something such as tool battery that could be easily opened so that cells could be replaced by the consumer. Such a battery would be less likely to end up in a landfill. Instead of soldered array of cells we have presently have, simply hold them in place with springs, and make the case easy to open.

Regarding fuel mpg and the EPA, I agree that the EPA made the auto industry improve fuel economy but at what cost? We are paying thousands of dollars more for a vehicle that will require thousands of dollars in parts and repairs. The gain in fuel economy is lost through those expenses, and there is added pollution in the production and disposal of all those computer parts, sensors and diagnostics. We seem to fix one problem and create several others.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob D.;315619]
                              Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

Well said! As much as I dislike government over regulation (see previous post), I am coming around on the battery standardization thing. I do hate it when a manufacterer can't even standardize their own tool system. The disposable alkaline batterys don't bother me though because they contain no hazardous materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X