Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A poor mans Mill

Alright stop laughing will ya
    I bought the mag drill on ebay for 300.00 and one thing led to another...
    the base

Too bad it doesn't work...yet
    I tried it out on some scrap and it slides sideways,so maybe if I weld some angle down ....I'm not really expecting much from it just fooling around in my shop mostly.Who knows it might be just the tool I need some day.

Re: A poor mans Mill

mine has 2 buttons. one for Magnet, one for drill motor. You may have to add another steel plate to up the thickness.! Mine wont budge,with elec. Mag on. You will be impressed.
    Nice wetted in beads! you are a good welder!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together, (John "Hannibal" Smith)

looks good and like it will work, (If the chuck can take side pressure)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thats the deal breaker there...its just not designed for side loads.
        This morning I added another 3/8 of steel plate for the mag to work better.(thank you toolaholic)
        There is a guy on a welding forum does something like this in the field(keyways and stuff)except his is bolted to a plate that he welds where he needs it.
        Last edited by IamVince; 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

one can use a standard press for milling if it is not much by chucking the mill in the chuck and then set the down stop so depth is consistent, (mills will drill a part hole), and move the mill a Little and shave off the hole a little and then do it again and again until you have a slot, but it is slow but will work most of the time,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What you have there is a recipe for disaster - of the personal injury type. The setup you have there might work with a small end mill in aluminum making a very shallow cut, but not with that big bruiser you are using. The cutting pressure is way too high for that flimsy setup. Even if you restrain the mag drill permanently, that vise rig is way too flimsy. There is a reason a machinists vice weighs 40# and the table and lead screw weigh several hundred. It is to keep it safe. Rigidity in a setup equals safety. I am not laughing, but I think you are going to get hurt. Not to mention a flimsy setup like that will ruin a cutter in very short order.

Comment

Working...
            X