X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tool idea

Yeah, I know, everyone has a "great" new tool idea. It would be used almost exclusively by the fire sprinkler industry, but commercial construction electricians may also find it useful from time to time. It is just an idea at this time, no prototype, or even drawings exist yet, though the basic technology is already in place in tools used for other purposes. I dont have the cash to play around with this idea, much less a patent, so how should I go about presenting it to a company that does, and still protect the idea???

I think it could be mass produced fairly inexpensively, and sold in the 100-200 dollar range, and would make a big difference to sprinkler fitters.

Re: New tool idea

Find a good lawyer.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
      Yeah, I know, everyone has a "great" new tool idea. It would be used almost exclusively by the fire sprinkler industry, but commercial construction electricians may also find it useful from time to time. It is just an idea at this time, no prototype, or even drawings exist yet, though the basic technology is already in place in tools used for other purposes. I dont have the cash to play around with this idea, much less a patent, so how should I go about presenting it to a company that does, and still protect the idea???

I think it could be mass produced fairly inexpensively, and sold in the 100-200 dollar range, and would make a big difference to sprinkler fitters.
      What does the tool do?

Comment

It assists in centering sprinkler heads in ceiling tiles.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
          It assists in centering sprinkler heads in ceiling tiles.
          Goodluck with that

Comment

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.inventions.org/

Before you discuss details of your idea in public anywhere (which includes this forum and similar sites), be sure you have your butt covered. You need to document your research (which includes your time thinking about an idea) in a manner that is recognized legally such that it can stand up in court if it comes down to "who's on first". You do not need a patent to protect your idea, there are other legal ways to defend your ideas.

It's not too difficult and does not require you lay out hundreds of dollars.
            Read through the information on the site above and follow the links there to the US Patent Office site and read what is there too.

If you really think you have something worth developing do not say any more than you already have with anyone by any medium (email, forum discussions, face-to-face, etc)
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X