Tool Sharpener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Sharpener

I've been looking at various tool sharpeners, including tools like the Worksharp 3000 and Tormac, etc. These are all rather high priced. The Worksharp 2000 is more in line with my budget, but it's design is limited when compared to the 3000 and accessories for either are pretty pricey too.

I wonder what TTI under either the Ridgid or Ryobi brand names might come up with? Also, is it feasible to have a sharpener that would fit into the cordless market, which might be ideal for work-site carpenters? I'm thinking "edge tools" like chisels and plane blades.

Just a thought,

CWS

Re: Tool Sharpener

Missed out on the recent HD closeout deal on the Worksharp did ya?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

posted in the wrong thread, sorry,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have a Worksharp 3000 and I can tell you it does an excellent job. Fast and easy to use. I wish I had got one sooner. I've had mine since last Christmas (2009) and I have used it multiple times to bring old chisels back from the dead and to put a quick edge on my tools as I use them.

The scary sharp method is what I used before the Worksharp, and I got pretty good at it. the worksharp is just faster and less mess.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The worksharp looks and sounds like a good machine. I've been using a 1"x30"
          sander with different grit belts and the results have been great although this method cannot duplicate the precision of the worksharp machine. I came across this video which shows a belt attachment for the worksharp. check it out.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmbr...eature=related

Comment

Yeah, I saw that Home Depot snafu posted on another web site. Sure wish I had read about it sooner. By the time I did pick up on it, it was Sunday night and the HD page wouldn't take my order.

But seeing all the fuss behind it, I can understand. Personally, I thought it was very good of Home Depot to make right, the orders it had taken.

I've been using 800 and 1200 grit wet/dry paper on a granite tile for keeping an edge on my old chisels and the newer Sheffield-made Marple's set that I have. In the past year I picked up a five-chisel set of Narex mortising chisel and for Christmas my wife got me a six-chisel Narex set of bench chisels. Inexpensive, but very nicely made.

I was considering buying the Lee-Valley honing guide, but when I saw the WorkSharp offer, it made me wonder if going to a power sharpener might be more efficient. Still, I think if I keep a proper edge on them, it would be quite awhile before they would need any significant work.

Franki,

I saw that belt attachment accessory listed at about $70. Okay add-on I guess, if you already have one of the WorkSharp models... that is if you need to sharpen a lot of knives. I use a sharpening "steel" and a honing stone. Of course my field knife is only an old "JC Higgins" that used to belong to my father. Unfortunately I beat the heck out of it when I was kid and didn't know what I was doing. But regardless that knife served me well when I used to spend a lot of time "in the field".

My grandfather used to have this rather wonderful old grinding wheel "machine". You sat on a seat and peddled it. The stone wasn't all that large as I recall, but it was about four inches wide and you could put a terrific edge on stuff. He used it to keep the horse-drawn mowing machine blades sharp as well as a few other farm tools. I used it once to sharpen my pocket knife... I still have the scar where I discovered how sharp it was! (I think I was about twelve!... and you don't need a really razor sharp knife to play "mumbly-peg"!)

CWS

Comment

Once you have a good edge you can maintain it with a hard felt wheel on a grinder loaded with Lee Valley honing compound, especially good for odd shaped tools like a gouge

Comment

I remember guys with foot pedal sharpening stones serving the needs of the local residents when I was a kid. I am very pleased with the results I've gotten using the 1"x30" sander and different grit belts. I have a leather belt and honing compound which is used as mentioned to maintain a sharp edge on blades that have been already processed and just need a little help.

I can't wait to sharpen my mower blades with this set up, and I think I can get a much better result as opposed to the files and angle grinders I've been using. I have learned that whether sharpening knives, chainsaw chains, or anything else, "less" is better. Usually very little material needs to be removed in order to achieve a good edge or keep it sharp.

Comment

I received my 2011 Grizzly catalog a couple of days ago and I see they have two different Tormac-like wet-wheel sharpeners. The 8-inch is only $89 and the 10-inch is about $200.

Do any of you use a Tormak or have any experience with the Grizzly?

For the near future, I will keep with my granite plate and the wet/dry paper. And WBrooks, thanks I think I will add a felt wheel to my 8-inch bench grinder and get some compound on my next L-V order. That sounds like a perfect solution for both now and even later if I add a power sharpener.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X