X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfeed support for R4510 jobsite saw

I have owned this Ridgid R4510 for about two weeks. During that time I have cut a fair amount of wood with it, and the unit works very well, indeed. The motor and gear box growl a bit as things come up to speed, but once there the operation is smooth as silk. This is a great saw.

I also have a Ryobi BTS20 portable saw (several years old, and more competent looking than the later BTS21), but the Ryobi has limitations that called for getting an improved saw. The Ridgid has those improvements, such as an ability to be moved when the saw is extended into the work position (the Ryobi’s wheels are off of the ground when set up), a deeper work surface in front of the blade (allowing one to more easily use a feather clamp and miter gauge), and a longer and more solid fence. I still have the Ryobi, and use it in conjunction with the Ridgid.

One advantage the Ryobi does have in comparison to the Ridgid is a deeper outfeed area behind the blade. The aluminum saw-table surace itself is not particularly deep, but the Ryobi has a steel extender out back that that adds additional inches of depth, and which can also be pulled out even further for better stability with longer boards. The Ridgid’s outfeed surface is rather short.

So, I modified the new saw. I bult outrigger arms out of some scrap pine, painted them a good factory-look-alike grey, and carefully installed them by drilling holes in the saw’s plastic base and using large nuts and bolts with VERY large interior washers to spread the load out as much as possible over the interior plastic surface. I then made a cross piece out of a thick dowel (actually, a section cut from an old shovel handle), and sheathed it inside of a steel sleeve that I cut from an old torchiere lamp stand. I sanded off the paint on the sleeve and waxed it to make it slick. It is exactly level with the back of the saw table, and adds an additional 7 inches to the outfeed support. The extra depth does not hamper my ability to store the saw comfortably in the shop.

It looks like a modification of this kind would be easy for the factory to offer as an accessory. They could pre-drill the holes and offer the parts for a nominal cost.

Howard Ferstler
    Attached Files

Re: Outfeed support for R4510 jobsite saw

I think that is a great idea. Looks sharp too! Do you think that the plastic will actually bear the weight over time?
    I just bought this saw two days ago. That is the only thing I can say that I do not like about it. I will most likely purchase a roller stand for an outfeed support.

~M

Comment

Re: Outfeed support for R4510 jobsite saw

Originally posted by SomewhatRidgid View Post
      I think that is a great idea. Looks sharp too! Do you think that the plastic will actually bear the weight over time?
      I just bought this saw two days ago. That is the only thing I can say that I do not like about it. I will most likely purchase a roller stand for an outfeed support.

~M
      The bolts through the plastic sides have HUGE washers on the inside, so at least there is no concentrated stress on small areas behind each bolt. Actually, unless one is cutting eight-foot, 4x4 pressure-treated timbers with no additional outfeed support at all there should be no problem.

By the way, the best free-standing outfeed table I know of is the one Ridgid makes. It has been praised by many enthusiasts.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
      X