Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe Make a Quality Power Tool?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    The #1 problem that will occur in the United States in the near future will be....

BOTH private and public healthcare. Medicare etc.

It's a quiet secret right now that elected officials are scared to death to address for fear of not getting re-elected by the grey haired majority. (No offense intended.)

But it is coming. And you better get your checkbook ready for some serious taxes & payments.

Trust me.

J.C.
    I don't think it's all that quiet anymore. Kind of a low roar, like a huge wave out in the distance. But the Govt cleverly does skirt the issue by not reporting unfunded liabilities, even though they are obligations. And as you know, Medicare is the 800 pound gorilla in that room.

For purposes of scale, the Prescription drug bill alone has roughly the same cost as the entirety of Social Security.

Entitlements have always been sacred in DC. I actually had a current (at that time) US Congressman tell me at a cocktail party that entitlements were widely recognized as a huge problem, that it had the potential to sink the Govt, and that no one in DC would ever touch it due to election pressure. This was in 1984.

Jeez we Americans love our freebies. No matter how much they cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      I don't think it's all that quiet anymore. Kind of a low roar, like a huge wave out in the distance. But the Govt cleverly does skirt the issue by not reporting unfunded liabilities, even though they are obligations. And as you know, Medicare is the 800 pound gorilla in that room.

For purposes of scale, the Prescription drug bill alone has roughly the same cost as the entirety of Social Security.

Entitlements have always been sacred in DC. I actually had a current (at that time) US Congressman tell me at a cocktail party that entitlements were widely recognized as a huge problem, that it had the potential to sink the Govt, and that no one in DC would ever touch it due to election pressure. This was in 1984.

Jeez we Americans love our freebies. No matter how much they cost.

Made a thread about it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        So Andy, what is the anwer? Who makes the sacrifices here and who do we need to shove in the right direction? And how do we go about doing that?

As I see it, the Dem's want to focus on rebuilding a neglected infrastructure, provide benefit to the masses, and tax and regulate those with the power to make that happen. But where do we get the funds and the power to do that?

The Republican's want to heavily reduce regulation and taxes to the rich and to business. They cry it isn't fair and they believe that given a more de-regulated market, that everything is going to be made right and that future generations of workers will make this country great again. Guess Reagonomic's must of worked well for many of them (it sure didn't do anything for me) and the recent Wall Steet bust was just an anomoly.

As I see it, neither party is right.
        I totally agree, neither party has any sort of plan that is going to work.

First of all, it is very sad but true that here in the US we have to realize that years of living large (taken on the whole) and huge entitlement promises, welfare programs, massive extensions for unemployment, government stimulus programs, loose monetary policies, and so on means that everyone has to accept that there must be substantial pain if we're going to recover. It is not going to be easy for anyone - rich, poor, blue or white collar.

The dems have shown no resolve whatsoever to become fiscally responsible. Every year, the Govt borrows or prints 42 cents out of every dollar they spend. There have to be cuts. Huge cuts. Period. The dems are in lala land and refuse to acknowledge this, offering up fly specks int he pepper. I'm glad they don't run my personal finances.

And then there are the repubs. Congressman Ryan is a very bright, well-spoken young man. I don't like his budget. He isn't touching defense significantly. We currently spend $670B on defense. That's ludicrous. The Chinese are the #2 spender, at just over $100B. We could spend $200B and still have double the military of the next most significant power. And that doesn't account for our existing overwhelming inventory of weapons. This would save, in one stroke of the pen, $470B. Ryan's plan addresses entitlements (Obama's did not), but I find his solution unacceptable. Heis essentially providing vouchers. This is renegging on a deal made with the public, and is not acceptable. I agree that entitlements have no choice but to get a realistic facelift. I just think Ryan's plan is a poor one. I don't think a fair and workable revamp is impossible or even daunting. I think we're seeing major reluctance from both sides of the aisle based on their allegiance, not to their constituents or even the Constitution they are sworn to uphold, but to the lobbies that have their ear and control their re-eelction funds.

As for jobs creation, the repubs want tax cuts. But they're not focused. This is a huge and traditional problem with US domestic policy - the "throw money at it" approach. Well, it hasn't worked in the past, and it won't work now. Blanket tax cuts will simply make more money for Corporations, but it won't incentivize them to produce domestically. Tax cuts need to be preferentially applied to domestic production. Make it here, pay no tax. Import it, pay corporate taxes. I think payroll taxes should be graduated to facilitate and incentivize companies to hire. Remember that current payroll taxes go to pay current benefit recipients, so we could significantly incentivize hiring without reducing SSI or medicare revenue. Yes, we still need to revamp SSI and especially medicare. The current system is unworkable. But what we need, today, is jobs.

We are also seeing nothing from Govt in terms of reducing burdensome over-regulation. I do not favor environmental irresponsibility, but I do believe (having run a business) that many enviromental regs as well as other ridiculous regulations, stifle business. Government itself costs about 30% of the federal budget. Much of this is involved in the administration of this mass of rules. The GAO has identified tons of agencies that are redundant or are largely unnecessary. This has to be hit hard.

The most important thing we can do, I think, is be educated. There are people that think that business is the enemy. They aren't. Business is THE creator of jobs, exportable goods, and ultimately, wealth - for everyone. But they are opportunists - you can't just thow money at them. They will take it. You need to make them earn it, by giving them not cuts but incentives. There are actually people that think that increasing taxes on corporations will solve the problem. It won't. It will drive more jobs offshore. There are people that think that still more govt regulation is needed. Huh? Only if you're China! There are even people that think that cutting congressional salaries and staffs will make a difference. A nice idea, perhaps, but we may as well spit in the ocean for all the difference it will make. If people could at least undertand why jobs are leaving the US, (and also those reasons that are NOT why) we would all be in much better position to make our voices heard.

Comment

Working...
        X