X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Adapter for garden hose from Wet vac drain

We had a heavy rain and our basement was slowly (but steadily) seeping groundwater. We had to drag the full to the brim wet vac back and forth to the driveway 40-50 times because a simple garden hose would not fit the drain.

I have been unable to find an adapter anywhere for this purpose!!

Has no one else ever needed or wanted to drain collected liquid from a shop vac w/o having to drag it back and forth, or can I just not see the forest for the trees?
    We have a 16 gallon Ridgid WD 16650.

Got your handle [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    You can try calling Plumbing mart 1-866-325-2960
    Plumbing Mart PVC
    But I think you will need to make one out of many parts like a 2" Fips --> a bunch of reducers (like 4) then 3/4" to 3/4 MHT. Have a look at the website for terms explanation.
    I'm not a plumber so someone may likely have a better way but I am also curious as to why you cant just open the 2" valve into the drain you plan on putting the garden hose in. Also if you end up sucking in some debris with the water it will plug the garden hose.

Comment

Another possible problem with draining the vac with a garden hose would be that the 2½" vac hose would fill the vac with liquid much faster than a 5/8" garden hose could empty it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The drain I was referring to is the drainhole on the bottom of the vac itself, sorry.

We don't have a drain in the driveway, we just kept taking it out and tipping it over to empty.
        The rainwater was coming in slowly, and the hose would have kept us from having to go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

Comment

I think a better solution would be a sump pump. Ridgid (I have one) makes several models. Also availabe is what they call a puddle pump, but needs tending to as it doesn't auto turn on/off and will burn up if left running with out water to pump, or looses it's prime.
          Problem I see with attaching a hose to a vac canister is how is the water going to drain uphill from basement to drive way with out lifting the the vac above exit level of the hose?

A permanent solution would be costly including revealing the outside walls of the basement, sealing the walls to the footings and sealing the walls and backfilling. It would be less costly to have a concrete drilling company drill a whole in the floor of the basement, seal in a plastic tube and installing a sump pump plumbed to the outside where the water would be taken away from the building so it could not re-inter the basement. Unknowing of the logistics, this may or may not work for you.

Woody
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

A drill pump may be a better option than the vacuum until you find a permanant solution and it is cheap.
            Drill Pump

Comment

CRAFTSMAN and SHOPVAC both have wet vacs that have a model with both garden hose and pump designed right in to the unit. They are less than a hundred bucks and will pump water up to fifty feet in elevation though I wouldnt trust anything like that for more than ten.

If you have continual water problems in your basement a sump, pump and foundation drain system is the best fix. But until you can save up the funds or have the time to do it yourself(its not rocket science)check into the wet vacs that already have the system you want and need. Attempting to make a jury rig on something as cheap as a wet vac is going to cause you more headaches than what its worth.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

SOUNDS LIKE YOU TOO LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIF. WE ARE ON A RECORD BREAKING YEAR OF RAINFALL. HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED IN THIS HOUSE? IS THIS A FIRST TIME ISSUE? AN AUTOMATIC SUMP PUMP IS GREAT EVEN IF IT JST SITS THERE WAITING FOR A WATER HEATER TO BREAK. YOU CAN PURCHASE A OLLER M57 FOR APPROX. $120. ADD ACHECK VALVE AND A LITTLE BIT OF 1.5'' PIPE AND INSTALL IT IN A PREFABED PLASTIC SUMP BOX WITH GRATE. A LITTLE BIT OF SAWCUTTING AND DIGGING AND YOUR DONE.
                I USUALLY HAVE IT COMPLEATED IN 3-4 HOURS. THIS WOULD BE A LONG TERM SOLUTION TO FLOODING. CHEAP INSURANCE.
                OR YOU CAN PURCHASE A TRANSFER PUMP THAT YOU CAN ADAPT TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR VAC DRAIN AND PUMP IT OUT FAIRLY FAST. THE 1/2 HP TRANSFER PUMP I HAVE FOR THIS WILL DO APPROX. 10 GALLONS A MINUTE AT 10' HEAD. ALSO GREAT FOR PUMPING OUT A WATER HEATER.
                AS PLUMBER STATED THERE IS A SHOP VAC WITH A BUILT IN PUMP FEATURE. I LOOKED AT THIS AND WASN'T IMPRESSED. THE REAL UNITS SUCH AS "WASP" COST APPROX. $1200.
                I WOULD SPEND THE 160. ON A GOOD TRANSFER PUMP AND THEN IT CAN BE USED FOR OTHER CHORES.
                EMPTYING THE FISH TANK, WATER HEATER. WATER BED, POOL COVER. YOU GET THE POINT.
                GOT TO GO IT'S RAINING AGAIN. RICK.

Comment

Working...
                X