Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

battery powered miter saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • battery powered miter saw

    I heard a rumor that rigid is comeing out with a battery powered miter saw, is this true: if so when can we expect it to arrive[LIST]

  • #2
    Re: battery powered miter saw

    I havent herd this but I think bosh makes one and I think ryobi and makita used to make one and it seems like I saw one as part of a craftsman kit a while ago. It is a good idea but i am not sure if a batery can really hold enough power to do the job. With lithium ion technology improving it may become easier to do.

    What do you think about a gas powered miter saw?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: battery powered miter saw

      I have a Makita 18V 7 1/2" sliding compound miter

      I like it a lot. It is certainly no substitute for my 12" CMS, but for little jobs where I don't want to drag out my MSUV or worry about throwing sawdust all over it is awesome.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: battery powered miter saw

        Tom,

        Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

        Ryobi had a small NiCad cordless (18-volt I think) CMS out a couple of years ago; but I don't think it saw the success that Ryobi had hoped for, and it was dropped from the lineup within the year, IIRC.

        However, since that time Lithium Ion batteries have come into popularity and there has been quite a number of posts asking about the Ryobi cordless and it's availability. Probably to the extent that it appears to be a popular wanna have.

        So, I have no idea if there is any consideration by TTI, but... it wouldn't surprise me at all.

        CWS

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: battery powered miter saw

          Some of the limitations of a battery powered saw can be overcome by using two batteries in either series to create a 36V saw or in parallel to make a 18V saw but with higher current output. Either could produce a more powerful battery operated saw and not require a special battery. Sell it as a kit with two Li-Ion battereis and a dual port charger and you'd have something I think.

          I put this idea up here a while back, maybe a year ago. Maybe RIDGID or someone else will pick it up and run with it.

          Whoever builds it just send me one as compensation for throwing the idea out there, that's all I want.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: battery powered miter saw

            Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Some of the limitations of a battery powered saw can be overcome by using two batteries in either series to create a 36V saw or in parallel to make a 18V saw but with higher current output. Either could produce a more powerful battery operated saw and not require a special battery. Sell it as a kit with two Li-Ion battereis and a dual port charger and you'd have something I think.

            I put this idea up here a while back, maybe a year ago. Maybe RIDGID or someone else will pick it up and run with it.

            Whoever builds it just send me one as compensation for throwing the idea out there, that's all I want.
            I was going to pick p the Ryobi a few years ago from Home Depot $149.00 and then they pulled them off the shelves. I like your idea of twin battery ports for longer stronger run times.The tool would sell for sure, great for molding and smaller jobs where pulling out the big saw is a waste. Why? Why ? Won't Ridgid run with the ball and make som of these tools? Advertised and demonstrated properly plenty of DIY'rs and Pros would by many of these tools and it's a given that additional batteries would be sold.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: battery powered miter saw

              I've got one of the Ryobi 18v cordless miter saws and with the new lithium it's a great little saw - very portable, runs and cuts well, with decent run time. Got it a few years back for $39 on close out - shoulda bought 2. I installed an Irwin laser and a Diablo 8 1/4" blade and it gets used more than my corded unless I'm doing something that requires good accuracy and I'm at the shop. Hope Ridgid makes one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: battery powered miter saw

                Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                I've got one of the Ryobi 18v cordless miter saws and with the new lithium it's a great little saw - very portable, runs and cuts well, with decent run time. Got it a few years back for $39 on close out - shoulda bought 2. I installed an Irwin laser and a Diablo 8 1/4" blade and it gets used more than my corded unless I'm doing something that requires good accuracy and I'm at the shop. Hope Ridgid makes one.
                Hello Ridgid...Earth to Ridgid... Anyone there want to sell some tools we want to buy? .................................................. ....................

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: battery powered miter saw

                  Some time ago over on the Milwaukee (It was shut down) forum when they introduced the V28 line, there was discussion about having tools that would use 2 or more V28 batteries in them. A miter saw was one and a heavy rotary hammer drill was another.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 04-25-2009, 04:08 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: battery powered miter saw

                    Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                    I've got one of the Ryobi 18v cordless miter saws and with the new lithium it's a great little saw - very portable, runs and cuts well, with decent run time. Got it a few years back for $39 on close out - shoulda bought 2. I installed an Irwin laser and a Diablo 8 1/4" blade and it gets used more than my corded unless I'm doing something that requires good accuracy and I'm at the shop. Hope Ridgid makes one.

                    Mine eats batteries. I would think the LiI batts. might be better. I just do not want to spend the excessive price Ryobi charges for the LiI battery kit. The saw is not that great of a build such as the plastic table lock lever, which I expect to break any day now. Bad design. I am thinking of making a QD elctrical connection to use other brand batts. on the saw.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: battery powered miter saw

                      Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                      Mine eats batteries. I would think the LiI batts. might be better. I just do not want to spend the excessive price Ryobi charges for the LiI battery kit. The saw is not that great of a build such as the plastic table lock lever, which I expect to break any day now. Bad design. I am thinking of making a QD elctrical connection to use other brand batts. on the saw.
                      Definitely agree with you on the saw eating the NiCd batteries and they reallymade the saw almost useless because you spent more time charging batteries than sawing wood. Pretty descent though with the Lithiums. No, the saw isn't precise, but it is pretty useable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: battery powered miter saw

                        if dewalt made one with their 36v bateries it would be a monster

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          They're Back !

                          Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Some of the limitations of a battery powered saw can be overcome by using two batteries in either series to create a 36V saw or in parallel to make a 18V saw but with higher current output. Either could produce a more powerful battery operated saw and not require a special battery. Sell it as a kit with two Li-Ion batteries and a dual port charger and you'd have something I think.

                          I put this idea up here a while back, maybe a year ago. Maybe RIDGID or someone else will pick it up and run with it.

                          Whoever builds it just send me one as compensation for throwing the idea out there, that's all I want.
                          They're back - Saw the new Ryobi Battery Powered Miter Saw at HD this weekend. And no, they weren't smart enough to read this thread and steal my idea, it's still a single battery that powers the saw. Guess I'm just too far ahead of my time. Maybe they are waiting for me to croak so they don't have to pay me the royalties now that I have my idea documented. I'd sell it to for cheap if they would just ask.

                          The new saw takes a 7-1/4" blade which is much easier to find than the 8-1/4" the old model used.



                          Oh, the new saw was priced at $129 IIRC

                          I really can't understand why RIDGID did not offer one. With dual batteries it would be a sure seller, and that in turn would draw people over to the whole RIDGID tool line just to be compatible with the batteries in the miter saw.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: battery powered miter saw

                            If the build quality is decent it could turn out to be a handy portable trim/moulding saw especially with lithium batteries. Priced at 119 at my local HD. The 7 1/4 blades are a positive......inexpensive and ez to find

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: battery powered miter saw

                              I saw the Ryobi Li-Ion CMS last week. Looks like it could be a great tool for anyone doing trim and probably up to a 2 x 4. Not sure if it would cut through a 6" board without flipping it though... but then again, how much 6" wide trim does one run into.

                              With Li-Ion battery, it could be a fairly decent tool without having to run to the charger a lot.

                              CWS

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X