No announcement yet.

laguna VS jet

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laguna VS jet

who makes a better machine. and in addition, in your opinion how does grizzly stack up to them?

I have a major problem with reverse engineering. Jet started out as nothing more than a reverse engineered Delta machine. In other words they cashed in on another's research and development. To me that is dishonest. Most anyone will tell you R&D is a major cost factor in pricing.

That said, I will admit Jet has over the years done some modification of their own but the basic machine remains what Delta designed.

Laguna on the other hand seems to have done their own R&D and in many cases came with with superior ideas.

Grizzly is nothing more than a cheap reversed engineered tool selling at prices below those that had to pay for R&D. If that doesn''t bother you then Grizzly will probably give you the same thing as a Delta or Jet for less cost.
    My opinion.
    Rev Ed

Unfortunately, reverse engineering is very common these days. I have worked for several companies in the electronics and HVAC industries and they have all done it. In fact one company that I worked for bitched to their reps when someone reverse engineered one of their products even though they did it to others.

The same thing happens to sprots equipment. when someone comes out with a somewhat revolutionary idea for fitness equipment it isn't long before many others are selling their own slightly modified version.

Ethically, I think it sucks. However, the one good thing is that often to beat the competition they either need to improve on the design or reduce the cost. Sometimes the quality is reduced, but in other cases you get a better machine.

P.S. Unless you are using a "true" IBM PC (or a MAC) to enter you posts, you have already benefited from reverse engineering.

actually, the ibm clones are liscensed, so it is all above board, not like someone reverse engineered a 386 and then we got to where we are today.

I believe the basic "architecture" is licensed, but I am sure that there were many times (especially in the early days) that someone opened up an IBM (or competitors) machine to see how they integrated everything, or what chipset they were using, etc.