X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Cable Air Compressor

I have a 4 Gal. Side stack oil free compressor, this weekend the compressor kept tripping the fuse box. So I investigated the machine and to my supprise I found that the piston was full of saw dust and paint overspay! Now here is the kicker, the air filter was installed fine, though overspray in the air was able to make it through the paper filter the saw dust did not enter this way. The piston is wide open on the lower end, a fan sucks unfiltered air and blows it up into the piston. It builds up on the cylinder walls and eats up the rubber piston ring. I cleaned everything out and now need a new ring, until then I am looking into a more well made compressor. Also I am looking to get the air in my shop cleaned up, I checked my miter saw motor and other motors and noticed dust build-up.

I just looked into oil free compressor from ridgid, and the diagram shows the same open cylinder from below for cooling, I will not buy another oil free again, I looked at the oil lube and it is designed like an internal combustion engine. Oil lube should last my some time, and clean air is on my agenda.

Oh yeah, any ideas on what brand compressor I should get? I like the porter cable oil lube 4.5 gal because it has wheels, but I could go with one without if it is better built.

Comment

Oil lube has a breather on the crank case also so some dirt will get sucked in. The dipstick usually has the vent. I have the older PC double stack oiler without wheels. I like it fine, but like the reviews on Amazon said, it won't make 150 psi. It kicks in at 125 and runs to 145. I do think it's significantly quieter than typical oil-free models.
      My uncle has the Hitachi double stack oiler and it performs OK, but drops to 100 psi before picking up. This is too low to run framing nailers. If you need an honest 125 psi, go with a 150 psi model.

Comment

You can adjust the cut in / out pressure at the on / off switch. When you remove the cover you will typically see the power and motor wires that are connected to the pressure switch. the typical configuration is 2 larger equal size springs and one smaller spring closer to the pressure switch. To rise the cut in / cut out pressure tighten the two larger springs equally. To rise just the cut out pressure tighten the single smaller spring or loosen it to lower the cut out pressure without effecting cut in. If the configuration looks different look under the cover of the switch you may have a diagram there

Comment

brooks
          We opened up the Hitachi shortly after he got it and it didn't look user adjustable. If it was I'd guess it would have to completely disassembled. There were no instructions. I've seen the spring setups you are talking about on older compressors (back when the covers were metal). The new ones are different, probably due to liablity concerns. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Working...
          X