Router Table insert for TS2400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table insert for TS2400

I would like to see a drop-in router table for the TS2400 in the void when the rails are extended. Could use the fence for the router table as well. I'm in the process of making my own. I'll let you know how it works out.

Re: Router Table insert for TS2400

BobR how did your router insert work out?

Comment

I used a piece of oak for the table portion and purchased a router table plate. It worked really well except for a couple of things.

1. The oak cupped on me. I use it in an unheated garage. I would recommend something else for the table. I haven't decided what to use. I had thought about a piece of melamine (may need to have additional support so it won't flex) which would allow the work piece to slide easier. I still use the table and leave it set up in the saw all the time. I just drop the router bit down and everything is fine. I also built a sacrificial fence (out of MDF) that I can just clamp to the table saw fence. All-in-All I like the setup. I wish I had the ability to adjust the bit depth from the top, but it's not the end of the world not being able too.

2. Mine hangs on the rails so the plastic rule indicator has to be released so it won't break.

Another person on this forum built one as well. I can't remember who it was though. It did look really nice. I also think he attached it to the rails so the plastic rule indicator wouldn't be hindered.

Try checking for the other threads on this subject within this forum. We had posted pictures and everything about it. I just can't remember where or when it was. Try looking for it and if you don't find it let me know and I can help.

Comment

I have the pictures hosted at my site. They will still be in the thread here at Ridgid. OK Found it. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...+Router+Insert
        Last edited by papadan; 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thank you Papadan.

I liked Dick L's version better I have to redo or rework my version! Did you ever make a version?

Comment

Originally posted by BobR View Post
            I used a piece of oak for the table portion and purchased a router table plate. It worked really well except for a couple of things.

1. The oak cupped on me. I use it in an unheated garage. I would recommend something else for the table. I haven't decided what to use. I had thought about a piece of melamine (may need to have additional support so it won't flex) which would allow the work piece to slide easier. I still use the table and leave it set up in the saw all the time. I just drop the router bit down and everything is fine. I also built a sacrificial fence (out of MDF) that I can just clamp to the table saw fence. All-in-All I like the setup. I wish I had the ability to adjust the bit depth from the top, but it's not the end of the world not being able too.

2. Mine hangs on the rails so the plastic rule indicator has to be released so it won't break.

Another person on this forum built one as well. I can't remember who it was though. It did look really nice. I also think he attached it to the rails so the plastic rule indicator wouldn't be hindered.

Try checking for the other threads on this subject within this forum. We had posted pictures and everything about it. I just can't remember where or when it was. Try looking for it and if you don't find it let me know and I can help.
            I did the same thing but used MDF, formica on top and sealed the bottom with poly
            Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Bob, my Mast-R-Lift was too big to fit in that area with a router in it. I got rid of an RAS and built a 2' x 4' router table.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Don't know if anyone's still watching this thread, but I just finished my insert for my TS2400. I have a DeWalt 618 fixed base mounted to the bottom. The top is made from 3/4" melamine as well as the base plate. I followed some instructions on DeWalt's home page as well as some ideas on the internet. The fence is fixed to the stock Ridgid fence and was designed from Popular Woodworking's plans in a Jig and Tip book. You can find it online. Dust collection is great.

Comment

By the way, I planed down some wood to fit in the gap of the wing arm. This supports most of the weight and the fence is able to clear the whole thing. I did have to put a hole in the bottom of the router fence to see the fence gauge. You could remove the whole right wing and use the metal bolts and plates to mount a larger table if you wanted to. I wanted to be able to knock mine down easily so I'll wait for a full sized Bench Dog or something whenever I 'need' it.

Comment

GT,

This looks really nice! I'm still a little unclear how the melalmine table is attached or being supported on the saw. Would mind explaining a little more.

Thanks,
                    Bob

Comment

I came here to suggest the router insert (to Ridgid) but I find that lots of folks have already sorted this shortsight I had in mind to use a cabinet-grade plywood with melamine top and bottom to minimize warping. I plan to hold the insert level using a protrusion on the front face of the insert that fits into the back slot in the front rail. The back edge of the insert would sit on and against the back rail once the front of the insert is dropped into place. I plan to router an opening to fit the Lee Valley circular router baseplate replacement. That way I can easily pull out the router to use it for hand-held operation.
                      Originally posted by gtlightning98 View Post
                      The fence is fixed to the stock Ridgid fence and was designed from Popular Woodworking's plans in a Jig and Tip book. You can find it online.
                      Got a link? That looks like a great idea!

Comment

a link to the router fence I used...
                        http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea19.html

Also, the melamine is "floating" on two supports that fit into the slots in each rail of the fence. When you slide the right wing out you'll see that the rails have hollow slots which you can imagine a few ways to afix a support.

Comment

Working...
                        X