X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of Home Depot

You need to get rid of Home Depot if you really want to take you woodworking tools to the next level. I'm sure you are aware (from posts in your forums) that most HDs market your products very poorly and they market your accessories even worse (if at all).

I have a Ridgid Radial Arm Saw, Table Saw, Jointer, and Planner. They are all great and I would buy other Ridgid tools. However, at this point I have given up on finding the "support" I want from Home Depot. I went looking for a Ridgid Drill Press last week and after frustration, ended up buying a Delta instead. I have ordered accessories directly from you (online) and it was great. However, sometimes when I want something, I want it then, not a few days later. If I could only buy parts for my Ford SUV from the factory, I would not buy another Ford.
    Mark

I am feeling the same way MarkR... I was in the market for a bandsaw a while back and couldn't get a new one in a box at the time at HD and didn't want the abused floor model, so I ended up buying a Jet from elsewhere... I am going to need a planer and jointer very soon to accompany my new biscuit jointer. I am not sure at this point who will be getting my business... I love ridgid's products but their source for retailing the product line stinks... I currently own the TS2424LS tablesaw and the EB4424 spindle sander... I would like to upgrade my drill press in time from a large bench model to a floor unit...

The HD clerk in Lincoln, NE still thinks Home Depot owns Ridgid, Emerson, and even Ryobi... I don't know about Ryobi for sure but I am pretty sure he is 100% incorrect on Ridgid and Emerson!!! Can't tell'em anything either...

They had spindle sander drums when I bought the EB4424, so I bought enough for near a lifetime so I don't have to stop back for a very long period to find out they are on backorder when I need them... This adds to my frustration on the AC1035 “Zero Clearance Inserts” I can’t easily get either… I want to see one before I buy it…

I am ready to give up on them (HD)!!!
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

P.S.
      I don’t like posting negative feed back but something needs to be done...

Please pardon my venting...

Merry Christmas fellow forum members...
      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

It would be nice to purchase a DP1550 and the mortise attachment at the same place. Also, if the need ever came up to replace the knives on my jointer in a hurry, I won't be able to because HD does not carry them! They also have no plans on doing so.

Rigid woodworking tools are very good items, yet HD has a very large (4-5 times more) space for Ryobi items as compared to the area it has for Rigid. The jointer in my local HD has a nice coat of surface rust on it. Does not look good to someone looking at buying a tool.

I came real close to getting a Delta thickness planer instead of the Rigid BECAUSE of HD. In February I plan on getting a new Drill Press. I'd like to go with the DP1550.

Jake, I don't have the inside knowledge of running an operation such as RIGID, but I am one of the people who buy and use the product. I really beleive that there has been enough comments on this site about the problems with HD for Rigid to do something about it.
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Just a side not Jake.

Way too many HD employees are convinced that HD OWNS Rigid! They have to be getting that idea from somewhere................
          Support Our Troops!
          www.mnpatriotguard.org
          www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has just about given up. Of course, my main point was (and I am hearing it from others) that I would like to buy more Ridgid tools, but it is become less and less convienient. Even if I can buy the tool, if I ruin a planer blade in the middle of a project, I don't want to wait days for a new one or pay a premium for overnight shipping.

My main reason for complaining/venting is the hope that if enough people complain, maybe Ridgid will do something about it. In their class, I think the Ridgid tools are some of the best around. The customer service is top notch, and the Ridgid forums (and Jake!) are a great resource. However, the reasons many of us have mentioned are pushing us to tools made by other companies.

Thanks for listening!

Merry Christmas to Ridgid and all forum members.

[ 12-24-2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: MarkR ]
            Mark

Comment

You should see what they did to our HD's nice display of Ridgid tools up front in the XMAS section....first, they intermixed the other saw (Ryobi and Delta) in the display....then in infinite wisdom, they put a wall of cheapo toolboxes right in front of the display and a lot of junk right behind the entire thing....all the tools made by Ridgid are now buried. I agree....set HD on it's ear and let 'em have Ryobi
              for the house brand.

On a lighter note, I just got two flip tops for XMAS....gonna play with them tomorrow!
              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I apologize for hijacking MarkR's thread but Kelly, how about a review on the flip tops after you have had a chance to play with them?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

No problem "Badger Dave" I'd also like to hear what Kelly has to say about the flip top's.
                  Mark

Comment

I too have about given up on Ridgid. I like my Ridgid tools, I own the TS2424,MS1250 & EB4424. I've been reading good reviews about the Ridgid plainer,bandsaw and joiner all of which are tools I want to add to my shop. But what good are reviews if you can get the product at the only supplier around. There was a Rip from Emerison at one my local HD he helped my wife and I find the flip table she wanted to get me for Christmas. There were no where near the Ridgid display. In fact he and another HD sales clerk had to go hunting for them. You would think that with all the posts over the last year about this on going problem with Ridgid at HD something would have been done. Maybe the power that be at Emerison dont care. But like my friend Big Johnson I too may look at other brands when it comes to getting my Bandsaw and plainer. I would have to drive a little more but if thing dont change the trip will be worth it. Jake I know you dont have the power to change things your self. But If there is any way you could see that these post get to those who can and should do something that would be great. Thanks
                    Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

I tested them today while making trim for the bookcases I'm building for a client. WOW...all that time wasted using those pesky roller stands!! The Flip Tops are genius!

They have a superior system of locking lever on the square tube that holds the head...it holds the tube from two sides and looks to be very sturdy. Most of you have used rollers know that the knob screws can wear out with time since the screw is the only holder. You can lock it in the horizontal position for use as a support while using the miter saw. With the four feet on each one, it's very stable. The other position is canted to catch drooping boards fromt he table saw (which works flawlessly with 1/4" plywood). The lock pin goes into the second hole which prevents the head from falling to the vertical position when there's not a board resting on it. The third position is locked vertically for storage.

I'm very impressed and it won't be long until I buy a third and fourth so that if I need them with the TS and the SCMS on the job, I won't have to "share them".

I highly recommend anyone thinking of getting new stands to look these over first...they are more than worth it!
                      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Thanks for the review Kelly. Sounds like I could use a pair. Luckily they can be purchased online so I don't have to wait for my local HD to stock them (I have not seen them in stock yet)!
                        Mark

Comment

Thanks for the great review of the flip top stands Kelly... I too, have wanted to get something to help me out when sawing and such... I was thinking one would be nice but I believe you are on the right track with multiple stands... I think I will start with 2 and see how we get along from there... I don't always have someone around to assist me with my projects... The "Flip Top" just might be the answer... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I still look forward to Jakes comment on the main topic of this conversation thou… I am still hanging on by a thread with HD… There are many other fish in the sea that are eager for business…

Comment

Let's let'em know!

Home Depot Comment Form

rick

OK, The URL button sucks, let's try this...
                            http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=contact%2find ex.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1147066038.1040958889@@@@& BV_EngineID=cccgadchdl migiic gelceffdfgidgmn.0

OK, every thing sucks!

Go to www.homedepot.com and on th ebottom of the page is a contact us link, let'em have it!

[ 12-26-2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: RixWorx ]
                            <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx</a>

Comment

Last spring as I was setting my building up I had the chance to see the Ridgid Rep and see the demonstrations of the tools by a hired individual. I even talked to the manager of HD on duty at the time.
                              From what I got from these 3 people are Emerson made the corporate deal. Ridgid Reps are responsable for the displays setup and HD is to provide the space. Problem being, Emerson Corp. isn't in the HD stores, it was all done on paper. Each store was mandated to devote a certain amount of floor space for the displays, which is barly big enough for the machinery. That is why you find the boxed machinery stacked on shelves to the ceiling. Ridgid Reps are to take care of the displays, which are limited on time to each store in their area. They simply don't have time to take of the displays. HD could care less if the machinery rusted into a pile of dust.
                              I couldn't get a direct answer to the question, "why doesn't HD carry the acceossories"?
                              But did get a comment from the rep that it probably wasn't specified in the Corporate deal.
                              I just returned a defective drill press today and returned home with a brand new one. Can't beat the warrenty. I had it 6 months before a bearing or something went bad.
                              But if HD isn't going to handle Ridgid, who then?
                              There are about 8 HD in a one hour driving area from my home. One of them is bound to have a piece of machinery in need. But there is little along the lines of woodworking stores. And they are all devoted to Powermatic, Jet, Delta. I'm sure they are not going to welcome in Ridgid and piss off the Big 3 and loosing sales to Ridgid. And not everyone Drops In on a woodworking store to LOOK at machinery. At HD, you walk in for a broom, pass the display and decide you've waited long enough for a table saw and wheel one out.
                              But enought rants here, providing someone who can do something about it, may lead to a better customer based deal WHEN the contract between Emerson and Home Depot is renewed...IF renewed.
                              What I worry about the most is I have just about every piece of Ridgid Woodworking Machinery they offer, and what happens if HD drops Ridgid?
                              The main reasons I went with all ridgid machinery is it's availability in my area, and the warrenty and ease to benefit from it. Plus NO SHIPPING, and the affordable price so I could get the machinery all at once.
                              I agree totally that a better relationship between Emerson and Home Depot has to happen to benefit the customer, and the profits for both Corps.
                              My next trip to one of the 8 HD stores in my area I'm making it a point to grab the store manager on duty and ask some questions. Find out why the store displays are so poorly taken care of, why there is no accessories, etc.
                              I suggest everyone does the same accross the country.
                              And maybe we can get answers and make a difference as I'm sure HD meetings talk about such things....Input from customers to their staff.
                              Ridgid Machinery is Quality for the price, I'd hate to see the prices go up to see a large square footage in home depot devoted to Ridgid Machinery and kept dusted clean of fingerprints.
                              Another reason I bought Ridgid is the reviews I read. The Store displays looked like crap, and I could care less they did. But I also know not every individual walking in to look at machinery has done research, and appearence WILL play a major factor on at least 1/2 the potential customers that walk in off the street.
                              I also suggest HD Head Corp. and Emerson get emails from all of us on the same issue. Mentioning the some of the things I've mentioned here. It can get worse, it can get better. The squeeky wheel gets the greese. So lets do some squeeking and maybe the dusty rusty displays will get some greese, more room, and some accessories stocked.
                              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X