shop-vacs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop-vacs

just a quick personal observation of mine on shop vacs:make the cords longer and retractable.and a convenient on board storage for the hose.i have an idea on that.

good idea! thats what our customers are saying too over here..

Comment

Why not just adopt the cord wrap and lighted plug, 30ft cord would be good. If a ridgid rep reads this, just post a "we will run it by our engineers" if not, guy's they aren't listening.

Comment

I purchased a Ridgid Vac (12/gal, 5hp) for my small shop. I sweep most of the heavier saw dust before the final vac. I have mixed emotions because initially I could not believe the power, however there are two problems IMO.

1). The hose is too large and cumbersome. Hard to move around my little shop. I had a shopvac before it went "TS UP" and the smaller hose was much more flexible and easy to use making clean up alot faster and easier. All the attachments were smaller getting into tight areas, etc.

2). Saw dust seems to clog the filter very quickly greatly diminishing the suction power. It seems I am knocking out the dust as well as using compressed air to clean the filter more than I am using the vac.

Wish I would have bought something else???

Comment

Saw dust seems to clog the filter very quickly greatly diminishing the suction power. It seems I am knocking out the dust as well as using compressed air to clean the filter more than I am using the vac.
          That unfortunately is one of the downsides of shop vacs and sawdust. An upside is that all that sawdust that the filter catches is not going into your lungs. I have an 8gal Shop Vac that I hook up too my ROS. I upgraded the filter to a HEPA filter and I'm lucky if I get a couple of quarts of sawdust before I have to clean it. It's a pain to constantly have to clean it but on the other hand it catches an awful lot of very fine sawdust. Better to have a dirty filter than sawdust coated lungs. Figuring out a way to efficiently hooking up my ROS to my Dust Collector is near the top of my To Do List.
          I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

The retractable cord Idea is great, but can be made better. 30 ft retractable cord with a gfci receptical built into the vac would eliminate the use of an additional extention cord to power small tools at work sites. I realize this would add weight and cost to the vac but I would pay extra for these features.

Comment

Dave,

My bigger shop vac was a bit cumbersome to lug around the house to various projects on which I used my ROS. I bought one of those little "Stinger" VACs that Ridgid makes. For $26, it proved ideal. I use a longer hose, but the 1-1/4 hose fits the ROS perfectly, is quite flexible and the little 2 gal vac has really great suction. It is also easy to carry and the cord, though short, wraps around the vac for easy storage. Actually, the best part is that the VAC uses paper filters which are very cost effective at 3 for $5. They seem to do a much better job of capturing sawdust and even drywall dust (the latter, my shop vac won't filter at all). In addition, to clean the thing, I just take it outside, dump the container and then switch the hose around and use it to blow the dust off the paper filter. No pleates, so it cleans off quickly. I also don't seem to have a major suction loss during use, but then again I clean it at the end of each work session.

Bottom line is that you don't have to have a big, expensive, wheel mounted vac. The little "Stinger" is cheap, lifetime warranted, and really easy to carry around. I ended up buying two of them and find them much handier to use than the big shop vac. Of course they aren't the thing to take care of the mass of saw dust that my Radial Arm Saw produces, but for almost everything else, they are pretty handy.

Just a thought,

CWS

Comment

Working...
              X