X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe wrench adapter for air impact driver

The classic way of removing stuck threaded pipe is to apply bigger and bigger wrenches, with longer and longer lever arms. This puts a lot of crushing power on the pipe, and puts a lot of torque on the poor old plumber's body, too.

I have an air compressor and impact driver. I am amazed at how effortlessly it can remove stuck nuts (like car lug nuts). I want to use it for removing stuck threaded pipe.

I recently replaced the anodes in my Hot Water Heater. I did it without a helper, and it was a cinch. This job usually requires a helper, very large wrenches, and lots of physical strength, grunting and groaning.

It was easy because I used the air impact wrench (with 1+1/16 hex socket).

The problem that motivates my request: The inlet pipe on this Hot Water Heater is corroded and leaking, and I will need to replace it — without damaging the tank itself.

Please make me a tool that will allow me to take apart modest-sized (say, up to 1 inch) threaded pipe with my air impact driver [provided I can slip the tool over the exposed end of the pipe].

It may need two external jaws like a pipe wrench, or possibly three. Another alternative may be a variation on your internal pipe wrench that is heavy enough to allow a hex or square socket to be applied to the shaft to adapt to the impact driver. Another alternative would be a pipe wrench that had a large hexagonal lug on the head near the jaws.

Anything to save my aching back, shoulders, and arms. Thanks for your consideration.

There is a tool called a stud remover. Consists of a pair of large disks, with a 1/2" socket drive mounted eccentrically, and a smaller cam sandwiched between the disks. As you rotate the disk assembly counter-clockwise, it forces the teeth of the cam into the stud, very much as a pipe wrench does. I have two of these, one with about a 3/8" opening in the disks for the stud to pass through, and one with about a 3/4" hole. I don't know if they make them larger. However, I doubt that a tool of this sort can be built that will take the spike torques of an impact wrench without breaking.

Comment

Working...
    X