No announcement yet.

Work Site Radio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

edit 'SI swimsuit' to RIDGID.. i just discovered a great new thing.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Calendar/index.htm

Comment

When Will Our Wishes Be Heard?!?

Just bumping this back into light...I can't think of anything better then a worksite radio. Even without the "beverage comfortors" and the tackboard...LOL

Comment

Me too!

Let's keep bumping. It drives everyone nuts to see the radio topic hit the top every few days!
        Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by etpfinishing
          Just bumping this back into light...I can't think of anything better then a worksite radio. Even without the "beverage comfortors" and the tackboard...LOL
          The powers at RIDGID have recently answered this in this thread.
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

Jobsite Radio

I got tired of waiting and bought a Milwaulkee. My circa 1983 ghetto blaster finally croaked and I had to make a decision.
            The Milwaulkee has no CD player, but it does have a "Line In", which means you can plug in an MP3 or CD player to it.
            There's no battery charger, but since I'm using Ridgid and Makita, it is irrelevant. I want a good radio, not a so-so hybrid. I already have two Ridgid and three Makita chargers that came with kits.
            BTW, if you are thinking about getting an MP3 player, (or iPod as they are being generically called), think about this: A 4GB iPod costs $280 Canadian. A blank CD-R holds 700MB and costs 20 cents. An MP3/CD Player costs about $40.
            For $41.20 ($40 plus six blank CD's) you can store(4.2GB) and play as much music as a $280 iPod- a savings of $238.80.
            Now, the CD player and discs are marginally bigger than an iPod, but I'm dragging so much stuff to the job site anyway, what difference does it make?
            The MP3/CD player doesn't have the cachet of an iPod, but if someone buggers off with the CD player, I'll be $40 peeved not $280 peeved.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. frugal
              I got tired of waiting and bought a Milwaulkee. My circa 1983 ghetto blaster finally croaked and I had to make a decision.
              The Milwaulkee has no CD player, but it does have a "Line In", which means you can plug in an MP3 or CD player to it.
              There's no battery charger, but since I'm using Ridgid and Makita, it is irrelevant. I want a good radio, not a so-so hybrid. I already have two Ridgid and three Makita chargers that came with kits.
              BTW, if you are thinking about getting an MP3 player, (or iPod as they are being generically called), think about this: A 4GB iPod costs $280 Canadian. A blank CD-R holds 700MB and costs 20 cents. An MP3/CD Player costs about $40.
              For $41.20 ($40 plus six blank CD's) you can store(4.2GB) and play as much music as a $280 iPod- a savings of $238.80.
              Now, the CD player and discs are marginally bigger than an iPod, but I'm dragging so much stuff to the job site anyway, what difference does it make?
              The MP3/CD player doesn't have the cachet of an iPod, but if someone buggers off with the CD player, I'll be $40 peeved not $280 peeved.
              Your theory, while correct is flawed. I don't have time to continually be tweaking and fiddling with CD's on an hourly basis. Period!
              Most tradesmen will also agree, that unless your jobsite is making floral arrangements in a civilized environment, to deal with such delicate items as a CD, you really should wash the grime off your hands, or it won't be long that you'll have read errors on the player. Other environmental concerns like airborne sawdust, drywall dust, etc. will soon be playing havoc with the optical systems. MP3's will let you set it and forget it, all day long! A decent flash-based player isn't very much and is a bunch more reliable than CD's.
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

I want a radio really bad but my mp3 player works just great anyway. I got it at target as a clearance item for $20, it holds 128 MB and I don't have enough favorite songs to fill it up. So i need to get some more RAMMSTIEN Cd's. So which is worse listening to mexican polka's all day or Geman heavy metal?
                "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I'm seeing a trend...

I'm not a genius (but I play one on TV). It looks like some people would like to see a jobsite radio from Ridgid!
                  Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                    I want a radio really bad but.... So which is worse listening to mexican polka's all day or Geman heavy metal?

Whitey (that's me) has a rule on the jobsites - NO Mexican music unless you're buying the cervezas!
                    You are on your own for the German Metal. Generally, though I tend to put up with any rhytmic noise on the jobsite; (heck I even enjoy talk radio).

BTW, Polar -
                    You can easily fill your MP3 player with tunes if you get some software like Musicmatch that can convert the .wav files to .MP3 format, then you can convert your CD collection to be a little more portable and user friendly.
                    Phil
                    Tools Rule

Comment

Phil G., excuse me for pointing this out, but perhaps you didn't read my post correctly, or don't understand the whole mp3 thing. A CD-R with 700mb of music will play for about 7.5 hours,(even longer with a lower bitrate, but then the sound sucks), with no "fiddling" as you put it. As for the CD player getting gummed up, they are extremely easy to maintain- a gentle blast of air over the laser and voila! good as new.
                      I was simply trying to point out the cost/benefit of the set up I described.
                      As to Mexican polkas, I don't think I've ever heard one. German yes, Mexican no. Walter Ostanek rules!
                      http://www.polkarama.com/

Comment

mr frugal,
                        No, I read and understand your post and mp3's explicitly. On the jobsites I tend to go as idiot-proof as possible. (To me,) that is the NO moving parts of a flash player. Since I just got my second one (a 2gb this time), not even my ipod with the (dinky, and not jobsite-rated) hard drive (OOPS, moving parts again) gets used anymore.

Sorry, but the optical crap stays where it belongs - in the living room.
                        (just MY opinion, but correct nevertheless)
                        Phil
                        Tools Rule

Comment

Working...
                        X