Why Not a Cordless Hedger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not a Cordless Hedger?

I am a proud owner of your complete power tools.
    I was fustrated with using my corded hedger yesterday. In fact I had accidently cut the cord. I am sure this is a common problem. I used your saw all to trim some branches from an adjacent tree which led me to check for a power hedger. I was surprised not to find one from your line of tools. I would think professional Lanscapers and homeowners would purchase this tools and other landscaping tools if you would expand into this area. The quality of your tools speaks for themselves. Other major power tool companies have offerings. I would like to see Rigid as mu choice. Please inform me for any development in this area. Thank you.

im not sure what the stroke of the 18 volt sawzall is but i bet a hedger attachment could easily be made, to clip into the blade chuck, and the stationary blades secure to the foot. or they could make a second product out ofone they already make..

Comment

I agree, Ridgid makes great quality, heavy duty, reasonably priced tools. Nobody currently provides comparable quality in the garden tool market. Black & Decker as well as Ryobi offer a fairly complete line, but the quality just doesn't seem to compare and I am positive Ridgid could design a much better quality product! (I plan on buying the B&D NHT518 this weekend though).

I am a new Ridgid tool owner as I just switched from Makita products to Ridgid and purchased the R922 combo kit at Home Depot. I have already been using the R844 reciprocating saw (Volts: 18v Blade stroke: 1 3/16” Speeds: 0-2500)
      to do tree trimming and would love to be able to purchase high quality garden tools such as a Hedge Trimmer, Pole Trimmer, String Trimmer, Edger, grass shear, Blower, perhaps a small cordless electric chain saw.

As I understand it Ridgid is somewhat related to Ryobi through Techtronics International as well as Emerson Electric which supplies many Craftsman products. It seems like the company has the resources to develop cordless lawn and garden tools without having to start from scratch.
      Also the relationship with Home Depot offers a fantastic distribution channel with their lawn and garden department.

[ 10-04-2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Chris Weaver ]

Comment

This would be a popular and usefull addition to the line.

Comment

I haven't purchased yet. I have discovered that not only are the existing tools out there no comparison in quality to the Ridgid Tools I have purchased. They all seem to have fairly low capacity NiCad batteries!

These should be an easy market to dominate quickly!

Comment

Hedge trimmers are power hogs, even with a good battery they wont get too far.
            I have a homelite. The homelite batteries are useful for paperweights. I use my 18v ryobi batteries in the thing. It's powerful for about 4 or 5 minutes. Fortunately, I only need the thing for about 10 minutes at a time and I have 2 batteries. The trimmer does a decent job, just needs a better power source.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

"We must remember that RIDGID and Emerson Electric are new to making power tools and my bet is that they really are contracted out. "

You keep saying this (two posts that I have seen so far), and its pure Bull. You think RIDGID never made an electric power tool before they got into woodworking tools? You think that Emerson only makes toasters and electric motors for washing machines until a year ago?
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

ryobi has offered a 12v hedge trimmer in white with 18" bar

Comment

Originally posted by cvillalo View Post
                  I am a proud owner of your complete power tools.
                  I was fustrated with using my corded hedger yesterday. In fact I had accidently cut the cord. I am sure this is a common problem. I used your saw all to trim some branches from an adjacent tree which led me to check for a power hedger. I was surprised not to find one from your line of tools. I would think professional Lanscapers and homeowners would purchase this tools and other landscaping tools if you would expand into this area. The quality of your tools speaks for themselves. Other major power tool companies have offerings. I would like to see Rigid as mu choice. Please inform me for any development in this area. Thank you.
                  Yes cordless hedger would be a good start.

Comment

I don't want to get into the cord/cordless thing, but I'll just mention a Danish trick for managing cords, when moving around:-
                    Just run the cord up your trouser leg and down your sleeve. The connection on the tool is made Ultra Short, so you can't cut it. Applying Murphy's Law, remember to have a High Frequency Induction relay somewhere in the circuit.
                    A layer of clothing between the cord and yourself is the next best if weird things happen!
                    By the way, Why do all advertisment pictures of hedgers, and edge clippers, depict attractive females in short shorts, and skimpy blouses? How does one persuade these ladies to perform these tasks? Did I miss this on a day off, when I was an apprentice?

Comment

Echo, Little Wonder and Stihl make hedge trimmers with little 2 cycle engines powering them. They are a bit much for home owners but landscapers really love them.

Keep a watch to Black & Decker - DeWalt Their 36 Volt Li-Ion battery cordless tools have good power and run times. Such could work for a small hedge trimmer and so what if it only runs 15 min. Just switch the battery and put that one in the charger. I really doubt you want to trim your hedges for more than 30 minutes without some rest. Black & Decker does have a cordless hedge trimmer out, but it's kind of junky. Now for next spring who knows what may come along. Makita might do a nice cordless.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 04-17-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Been looking everywhere for the Homelite...think it is discountinued.

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                        I have a homelite. The homelite batteries are useful for paperweights. I use my 18v ryobi batteries in the thing. It's powerful for about 4 or 5 minutes. Fortunately, I only need the thing for about 10 minutes at a time and I have 2 batteries. The trimmer does a decent job, just needs a better power source.
                        I have the Ryobi OnePlus tools and would buy the Homelite in a heartbeat if I could find one. Seem to not be available anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Homelite-Cordl.../dp/B0007NVXXI
                        Last edited by Disaster; 11-22-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Apparently Ryobi 18V is available in U.K.

Wish I could find this on in U.S.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...rrer=Shopzilla

Comment

Re: Apparently Ryobi 18V is available in U.K.

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                            an update. Ryobi brought the hedge trimmer to the U.S. Bought it tonight. Gave it a good workout and was very impressed.

http://www.oneplustools.com/outdoor/p2600

Wish I could have bought a Ridgid 24 volt trimmer....hope Ridgid will wiseup and expand the MaxSelect lineup of tools.

They might also need to dump HD...or give them a wakeup kick. It is pitiful how badly HD markets Ridgid.

Comment

Re: Why Not a Cordless Hedger?

HD doesn't market ridgid well because they have a virtual monopoly on ridgid.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X