Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Wall Dust and Ridgid Vacuums

Hi
    Ridgid vacuums need a filter that will handle dry wall dust. The present filter clogs so fast you spend more time cleaning the filter than you do cleaning up the dry wall dust. “Shopvac” offers an accessory Dry Wall Filter Bag that goes into the canister, and seems to deflects much of the dust to the bottom of the canister and not on the filter cartridge.

I was at a Home Depot Contractors breakfast today and I mentioned this to an Emerson/Ridgid representative. He said he knew the Ridgid vacuums got clogged on dry wall dust, and then said “I don’t know what to tell you”.

I found that unbelievable, he knew about the problem but had nothing to tell me! I would think if he cared he would say, “he was reporting the problem to engineering”, Or “Ridgid is aware of the problem and we are working on a solution”, Or “I never heard that before, we will look into”. I would have even thought telling me I was an ‘idiot’ would be better than saying, “I don’t know what to tell you.” Which to me translates into, “we’ve got your money and we don’t care about your problem, if you want a dry wall vac go buy a “Shopvac”.

[ 07-09-2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: RevEd ]
    Rev Ed

I have an old Shop-Vac (metal can) that I purchased from a friend. Using the bag filter, I had drywall dust and cement dust pass through the motor several times. It still works! More than I can say for my wife's Electrolux.

I recently switched to a Clean Stream filter. Works great, goes on/off easy, but clogs fast and is a pain to clean. I sanded paint off my walls with a Porter Cable 6" and vac hookup, and had to clean often.

I've been doing some research on vacuums and dust collectors, and have decided that ALL filter vacs will clog pretty fast (correct me if I'm wrong please). Some commercial vacs have beaters to clean the filters without removing.

I am hoping someday someone will make a commercial or "shop-vac" like vac that is a true cyclone, that uses only a final filter. Dyson makes a home vac that looks very interesting, and has done a great deal of research an design on them (and a lot of patents). If it is done correctly, this type of vac would be able to suck up cement, sheetrock, and sawdust until nearly full with NO loss of suction (check Dyson's UK page).

Until then, I will stick with my old Shop-Vac until it dies, and then maybe buy a Fein or other commercial.

Comment

Here's a thought that someone I met at the local hardware store passed on to me. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I had just finished my small project and have yet to give it a try.

Basically this fellow said he made a sort of "cyclone" container and used his wet/dry shop vac with it. The container basically was partially filled with water, the hose from the vacuum entered the top on one side, with several inches of clearance above the water line. The second hose, was below the water line and also exited through the top and was attached to the pickup or the tool. I guess the idea was that the dust laden air would be flushed by the water before it was swept upwards toward the vacuum. I am sure the idea could be enhanced with a couple of internal baffle plates or screens to better scrub the air flow.

This sort of works like a waterwash paint booth and sounds like it would work. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet; but I thought it worth passing on.

For the single room project that I had already completed, I used the little "Stinger" vac which is available at HD for a mere $25. It is only a 1.5 HP, 2 gal. unit and is also made by Ridgid. It uses an inexpensive paper filter bag which is fine enough to filter out most of the dry wall dust (a lot of the canister filters are not fine enough). It clogs for sure, but is easily changed out or for that matter, taken outside and blown clean simply by dropping the container and using the hose on the blower side. Certainly not perfect, but the unit is very portable and price is right!

CWS

Comment

The filter clogs fast because it is DOING ITS JOB. It isn't just passing the dust through and back out the exhaust port like cheaper filters.

I am updating & remodeling our house (I'm second owner) and before I can paint each room I have to complete the drywall finishing because the lazy (*@!&$#@!&$(* that hung the drywall when the house was built did the most terrible job of "finishing" I've ever seen. There are countless places throughout the house where they clearly didn't even bother sanding and some places where you can see the fuzz and edges on the joint tape because they didn't get complete coverage with the joint compound. Not good when you want to paint with darker colors.

But anyway, I use the Ridgid HEPA rated filters to make sure ALL the dust gets trapped. And they DO clog FAST but it is better than having the dust blow through and settle back down throughout the house. With filters that DON'T clog, all you are doing is moving the dust around.

My sinuses and my lungs are very thankful for how efficient the filters are at STOPPING the dust before it gets blown back out into the air.

When all I'm doing is cleaning up saw dust, I switch to the cheaper, standard filter because it is sufficient to trap the larger saw dust particles.

Comment

This is the first time i have posted on this forum, so hopefully my contribution will be valuable.

I have 3 of the Craftsman 60 liter vacs and hav equiped them all with fine debris cloth filters from Sears. Now I believe that Emerson used to make the Craftsman shop vacs, so maybe the fine debris cloth filter would fit. I have used min for sucking up drywall dust with no problem. The pleated filter is still as clean as the day it was purchased and the cloth filters are easy to clean.

Gord
          Keep on \"Rockin\"

Comment

George, I think you aren't understanding wht was said. The filter clogs so fast because of the design of the vac and the inability for us to purchase a seperate bag to install. I use a Ridgid vac at work and have a Shop Vac at home. For wet, the Ridgid vac is great, but in the dry, the Shop Vac wins hands down every time.

The Ridgid vac filter, while washable, does clog every quickly which means down time to knock off all the dust. (lungs still get the dust) The Shop Vac brands allow use of a drywall dust bag which gets everything, but because of the large surface area of the bag, it does not clog or slow flow until it is nearly full. I've sanded drywall and fill a bag nearly halfway with dust and it still sucks fine. The bags do cost some $$, but if you only use them on fine dust jobs, they're well worth it.

Comment

Working...
            X